In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

steering rack replacement

xrmik

I have a 2000 silvetado the rack is leaking thru a boot, im guessing that means a seal is shot and i need to replace the rack.

I have never done this repair, would you consider this a hard diy job to do in my driveway? Is the labor cost at a mechanic for this repair expensive?

The rest of the suspension system is original, is there any other component i should replace? Maybe tierods or the ps pump? I was going to use a remanufactured rack and i dont think thoses are part of the unit.

Finally, i undetstand an alingment is needed... would the vehicle be driveable after the repair or would i need a tow?

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by xrmik

I've done in the garage in a few hours, it's not very hard so long as stuff comes apart.

To make your life easy just take measurements before hand if you are going to replace the rack and outer tie rod ends. Measure the outside to outside of the tires to get a number. Even take another measurement inside or another place to get you in the ball park. This way you'd know if you have too much toe in or toe out, you should be able to eye ball it close enough to get you to an alignment.

If the pump works and isn't on it's death bed, keep it on there in my opinion. Replace the power steering hoses if they are 20 years old, it's cheap insurance.

Its one of the harder DIY jobs but definitely doable as long as you take your time with the alignment parts. As long as you get it pretty close you should be able to safely drive to the alignment shop without wrecking your tires. Stuff gets dried out when it gets to be 20 years old but as long as you dont have too much rust you shouldn't have an issue. 

• 3 weeks later...

Im still wondering about the pump... the only evidence i see of a problem is the leaking boot/seal on the rack, steering feels ok so maybe i dont have to do it.

How do i know if the pump is good?

The only thing stopping me of just replacing it is the removal of the pulley... ive never done that before and it looks tough.

Edited by xrmik

I dont think its leaking but im not sure about noise.

I have some hiss when turning like you would normally only hear if you rotated the wheel all the way to the ends. It isnt moaning or rubbing loudly though.

So how bout that pulley? Is that tough?