In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Chebby

Help! 2012 Yukon XL electronics haywire, power lag while accelerating

Randomly while driving, the dash lights will go nuts and all the door locks will flicker really quickly. When this happens, the battery gauge dips down below 14. This is accompanied by a loss of power. The whole thing lasts for a couple seconds. 

Also randomly while driving, the engine will idle roughly...kind of feels lumpy for lack of a better term...like it’s a running clothes dryer with a shoe in it. When this happens, it seems to have a major power lag accelerating from a dead stop. 

I get no CEL from either occurrence. 

We’ve had it for 8 months. It has 132k miles on it. I’ve searched and so far, I have an idea to replace the ground cable for the battery. 

Any other ideas?

Check/clean grounds, check/replace battery cables (both, not just the negative cable).  Also, have battery tested...if it's the original battery, it's been on it's last leg for a couple of years now.  The GMT900 trucks/SUVs do not like it when the battery starts going bad; all kind of electrical gremlins occur when the battery starts dying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsr611 said:

Check/clean grounds, check/replace battery cables (both, not just the negative cable).  Also, have battery tested...if it's the original battery, it's been on it's last leg for a couple of years now.  The GMT900 trucks/SUVs do not like it when the battery starts going bad; all kind of electrical gremlins occur when the battery starts dying.

Thanks for the reply. I put a new battery in it when I got it. Autozone Duralast Gold. It died 6 weeks later. Autozone swapped it out for me, and I’ve been on the replacement battery ever since. Surely I don’t have two problematic batteries in a row?

Going to clean and check terminals yet again. This battery is just over 6mo old. The last one that failed was less than a couple months old.

This is frustrating.

Check engine ground cables as well.

Also, check the wires etc in the main fuse box. Try wiggling fuses Etc and shaking the wire harnesses underneath.

• Like 1

Well I checked the terminals. Everything was snug, and they didn’t look dirty at all, but I got my terminal brush out and cleaned them again really well. Hooked everything back up, and drove it around a bit.

The battery is now showing just over 14V instead of just under. And no acceleration lag. 

I do still have the slightly lumpy idle though. 

Maybe it’s time to check spark plugs. It’s VERY irregular, though. Doesn’t feel like I’m missing spark in a cylinder.