In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Bigger wheel bore = dangerous?

Hello everyone, i hope im posting in the right area. I own a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500, and im wanting to upgrade to some aftermarket wheels. I found a liking to the Fuel Mavericks, but the ones that fit my vehicle to a t have to much offset on the spokes for my liking. I have found another pair that i like, but the bore is alot higher then stock (its like +30) and i was wondering if it would be dangerous to run them?

Stock rim bore: 78.1
Rim i want's bore: 106.1

You’ll be fine with plastic rings. My wheels are 106mm bore and I use the plastic rings that came with them. I have 10ply tires and I’ve hauled as much as 2,000 lbs in the bed and towed my 7k lbs trailer multiple times with no issues whatsoever. 

4 hours ago, HoosierZ said:

You’ll be fine with plastic rings. My wheels are 106mm bore and I use the plastic rings that came with them. I have 10ply tires and I’ve hauled as much as 2,000 lbs in the bed and towed my 7k lbs trailer multiple times with no issues whatsoever. 

Sweet. Another question, I called a shop and they told me they dont run rings, especially when mudding because water gets behind the rings and rusts. That true?

What is it going to rust?

The plastic or the aluminum rim???

Water, salt and mud can already get over everything else so I have no idea what they are talking about. Put some anti-seize on the brake rotor, hub, centric ring and won't have any problems.

7 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

What is it going to rust?

The plastic or the aluminum rim???

Water, salt and mud can already get over everything else so I have no idea what they are talking about. Put some anti-seize on the brake rotor, hub, centric ring and won't have any problems.

They said the rim would. Water would get in there and sit, and rust the rim.