Powertrain Out-of-Warranty Inquiry

If you're basing your reason for wanting compensation on the idea that 72k is close to 65k then you give them a clean reason to deny your request for a reduced price.  A manufacturer can't deny an eligible warranty claim a mile before it expires but they are not obligated to honor a claim a mile after it expires.  Appeal to their goodwill and make the connection to the potential misdiagnosis of a poor tire prior to your warranty expiry.  Ask them to meet you half way on the price.  They will say either yes, no or make a counter offer.  

He’s not asking for anything out of the ordinary, he’s got a point. These forums are beginning to get more and more negative. Let’s not focus on the negatives but rather assisting him on positives. Seems to me he’d get an answer either way, he’s already at a negative so either we help him or say nothing at all.

I’d try and reason with the dealership and if say it’s out of their hands and refusing to assist then write up a very negative review especially considering with all the negatives publicity GM is currently going through for the exact issues. Speaking with the GM of the dealership may help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

He’s not asking for anything out of the ordinary, he’s got a point. These forums are beginning to get more and more negative. Let’s not focus on the negatives but rather assisting him on positives.

I agree and I hope you didn't read anything negative in my suggestion.  I would not hesitate to ask  my dealer to meet me half way (Op's first post request) if I had a comparable issue.   I would not be shocked if they said yes.   The crux of my comment was centered around using the expired warranty as justification for asking to meet  halfway.  This makes a "no" response too easy.  I make a point of having any concerns documented on a work order whenever I have my truck in for service.  If the clunk I heard periodically during warranty morphs into a problem post warranty, my dealer has my concern on file.  Op says he had reported related concerns prior to the expiration of his warranty and I am confident this is where he will find the basis for any reduction in repair costs.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ge0rge said:

Does GM ever meet you in the middle when a claim is made for something right outside of the warranty period? My torque converter is quickly on the outs and I am at 72k, warranty ran out at 65k. Regardless, the truck does not pull anything and at most has hauled a lawn tractor in the bed. I dont want to hee-haw around with them, even though there are plenty of claims with faulty powertrain components, if it's doing nothing more than getting me upset. There is no way it should have failed already. Is it worth asking GM to look at it? Thanks.

You have a great looking truck.

Have you opened a claim with GM? Your dealer will only be able to do so much, but they can be the deciding factor on any help at all.

• Like 1

The truck is a 2016, and I have not had it to the dealer since it has really started to act up. I figured there would be posts taking the stance of "you're wrong, I'm right." I typically read those replies and just move on, getting into the weeds does nothing more than label you as being that person no one wants to help on the forum. Most everybody here has provided some valuable input, and I appreciate it. I am the type of person that just wants to get it fixed and move forward. On a side note, beautiful day to wash the truck.  

• Like 2

The truck is a 2016, and I have not had it to the dealer since it has really started to act up. I figured there would be posts taking the stance of "you're wrong, I'm right." I typically read those replies and just move on, getting into the weeds does nothing more than label you as being that person no one wants to help on the forum. Most everybody here has provided some valuable input, and I appreciate it. I am the type of person that just wants to get it fixed and move forward. On a side note, beautiful day to wash the truck.  

That’s cause it’s a great looking truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/18/2020 at 9:20 PM, Ge0rge said:

Does GM ever meet you in the middle when a claim is made for something right outside of the warranty period? My torque converter is quickly on the outs and I am at 72k, warranty ran out at 65k. Regardless, the truck does not pull anything and at most has hauled a lawn tractor in the bed. I dont want to hee-haw around with them, even though there are plenty of claims with faulty powertrain components, if it's doing nothing more than getting me upset. There is no way it should have failed already. Is it worth asking GM to look at it? Thanks.

My transmission started acting up right around 60,000 miles but, as it was intermittent, I only took it in when I was at about 63,000 miles.

Needed a new torque converter and GM covered 60%. Not sure what would have happened had I been at 72k.

Cost me about $1,000. So far, so good. ?

2016 Sierra 2500 6.0l 6-speed.

• Like 1

Doesn't make too much difference but Powertrain warranty ends at 60k or 100k. Can't remember what year it changed. 60k on newer vehicles. Also it is not up to the dealer to "goodwill" warranty. Dealer sends an estimate to GM or uses a guide provided by GM . Either way it is up to GM.