In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
6.2_Denali

35s or 37s on 17 Denali with 6.2

Just having enough balls to move you down the road will not be enough, having a 6.2 with just a 4.5”-5” lift and larger heavier 33.5” tires does impact acceleration, braking and maneuverability, couldn’t imagine what a 7” with 35”-37” would do without re-gearing and tuning, it’s definitely going to be very noticeable and obviously somewhat dangerous as acceleration and definitely braking will play a very large roll in daily driving, especially normal/daily maneuverability.

Accessing older parking garages was my #1 reason for my lift height which will definitely play a big roll as your only vehicle. Towing, which is doable will require re-gearing in order to satisfy the massive power loss with that much tire weight.

There are plenty of people with larger lifts that don’t care that if all these are reduced, they just want the look. I tuned my 6.2 and noticed a substantial difference in acceleration and mpg’s.

IMHO, Anything over 6” will definitely require tuning and re-gearing, possible leaf spring package and performance shocks, upgraded braking. Custom rear air bags come to my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear what you are saying Greek.
I towed my 25' travel trailer with 500 lbs gear ( 5500 lbs total) with mine and I'll probably never do it again. I use my stock double cab for towing that but I thought I would try it with the lifted truck. I didnt have a w/d hitch either just my 13" drop hitch so it was never over 55 mph. It did tow it and stopped no problem but it was on or over the edge of what it is limited to tow now. It was in 4 the gear almost the whole 100 mile trip . The Borla catback was sounding killer echoing off the front of the trailer though.

But my little 6x12 loaded to max at 3000lbs. cargo trailer is way easier to tow in comparison. The Borla sounds a little different ( quieter) I think because of the v nose.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mines fit in this garage but felt like I was gonna hit the roof didn’t even get to go all the way in because it had signs hanging down  talk about scary!!!!
59E929EE-4DC0-4D58-B9DE-CB36D8ACBF10.thumb.jpeg.d0416c69aeb79f9fd58aca584bd2582a.jpeg

354E8AF0-E21C-4909-9A6C-A9D560FFA088.thumb.jpeg.4ecee2de8ec08d54e4e28ec714f73c97.jpeg

8D1EDD40-1258-447C-936C-53D64585301C.thumb.jpeg.ace10c6ad81aa6fda827f92ce29de82f.jpeg

Your truck looks great! I hear ya, I’m more worried about the old downtown parking garages, blown out a few hanging 4’ lights driving through with my lifted LandCruiser. Just didn’t want to even worry about it.

• Haha 1

[quote post="2459988" timestamp="1600895079" name="TXGREEK" I’m more worried about the old downtown parking garages

I'm more worried about getting my truck and trailer through the drive thru at Dunkin'

df1f2ca2f698175130a2dd1036c53755.jpg

[quote post="2459988" timestamp="1600895079" name="TXGREEK" I’m more worried about the old downtown parking garages

I'm more worried about getting my truck and trailer through the drive thru at Dunkin'

No pic

Pic didn’t go through

4 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Just having enough balls to move you down the road will not be enough, having a 6.2 with just a 4.5”-5” lift and larger heavier 33.5” tires does impact acceleration, braking and maneuverability, couldn’t imagine what a 7” with 35”-37” would do without re-gearing and tuning, it’s definitely going to be very noticeable and obviously somewhat dangerous as acceleration and definitely braking will play a very large roll in daily driving, especially normal/daily maneuverability.

Accessing older parking garages was my #1 reason for my lift height which will definitely play a big roll as your only vehicle. Towing, which is doable will require re-gearing in order to satisfy the massive power loss with that much tire weight.

There are plenty of people with larger lifts that don’t care that if all these are reduced, they just want the look. I tuned my 6.2 and noticed a substantial difference in acceleration and mpg’s.

IMHO, Anything over 6” will definitely require tuning and re-gearing, possible leaf spring package and performance shocks, upgraded braking. Custom rear air bags come to my mind.

So if I were to regear, what would you think to go with, because I may decide after lifting that I want to go ahead and regear, you think 4.10s? 4.56s?

With the 8 speed transmission you'd probably need to go up to a 3.73 to get you back to pretty much where it was.

4.10's or 4.56's would be a lot of gear, good burnouts and maybe make 1st gear useless at full throttle. But that does kinda depend on how crazy heavy the wheels/tires are and if they can get traction. You're cruising rpm would be higher with those gears as well.

I did the quick math using a gear ratio calculator. If you went from 265/65/18's to a 37/12.5 tire you'd turn your 3.23 into 2.76's. To get back to what you were at before would need like 3.79's. The closest you can buy to that is 3.73's or you can go one step up to 4.10's.

• Like 1

With the 8 speed transmission you'd probably need to go up to a 3.73 to get you back to pretty much where it was.

4.10's or 4.56's would be a lot of gear, good burnouts and maybe make 1st gear useless at full throttle. But that does kinda depend on how crazy heavy the wheels/tires are and if they can get traction. You're cruising rpm would be higher with those gears as well.

I did the quick math using a gear ratio calculator. If you went from 265/65/18's to a 37/12.5 tire you'd turn your 3.23 into 2.76's. To get back to what you were at before would need like 3.79's. The closest you can buy to that is 3.73's or you can go one step up to 4.10's.

I’m thinking 4.10’s

CAMGTP is correct, I’m thinking 4.10’s would be the way to go, front and rear will run you approximately $2K + -

• Like 1

So yesterday I ended up buying everything. 35 12.50 20 Toyo RTs. Fuel covert wheels in bronze 20x9. Pro comp 6" lift. My cousin was able to get it for me at wholesale so I spent a little under $4k for everything

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Denaligrift said:

So yesterday I ended up buying everything. 35 12.50 20 Toyo RTs. Fuel covert wheels in bronze 20x9. Pro comp 6" lift. My cousin was able to get it for me at wholesale so I spent a little under $4k for everything

Look forward to seeing it man, when is it getting done?

1 hour ago, 6.2_Denali said:

Look forward to seeing it man, when is it getting done?

Wheels and tires will be here tomorrow. The lift will take 2 weeks. So I'm thinking beginning of October. 

9 minutes ago, Denaligrift said:

Wheels and tires will be here tomorrow. The lift will take 2 weeks. So I'm thinking beginning of October. 

Sweet, I am still undecided lol now I am thinking of going with a 6 in lift, maybe 7, and going with 325/50r22. Such a tough decision lol 

On 9/23/2020 at 1:52 PM, TXGREEK said:

couldn’t imagine what a 7” with 35”-37” would do without re-gearing and tuning

It's going to put additional stress on the transmission which equates to heat and hence an early death.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Denaligrift said:

Which 6" Pro comp lift did you go with?