2021 2.7L with new updated tow rating.

f8l vnm

Looks like the 2.7 now is able to tow maximum 9300lbs. What are your thoughts on this ? I’ve driven a new 2.7L and it’s a peppy little motor and has really good torque down low. But do you guys think 9300 lbs is too much for a 4 CYL in a truck ? 
Also the oil burner is now at 9500. With 460lb of torque I would have thought it could be more? I really like the new 3.0 and would consider it in my next truck. 

Edited by f8l vnm

Only thing i read was cooling , so maybe there were things done ? 

Also how is the Diesel and 2.7 so close in towing when there is about 100 Pound feet of torque difference ? 

if anything i'm impressed by the 2.7 and little disappointed in the diesel .

Lastly though anything over 10k , I would want a 3/4 ton anyway but just thought it was odd they are so close 

Lastly though anything over 10k , I would want a 3/4 ton anyway but just thought it was odd they are so close 

I'm super impressed with mine. Honestly drives a lot like a baby diesel with the low end torque but with the benefits of gas.

And yea, I was thinking the same thing. My '17 LTZ had the max towing package but there's no way I'd feel comfortable towing 11k pounds or whatever that was rated at.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Only thing i read was cooling , so maybe there were things done ? 

Also how is the Diesel and 2.7 so close in towing when there is about 100 Pound feet of torque difference ? 

Because it has another 33 hp which also matters and weighs a sizeable amount less (roughly 150+ pounds not including the other emissions stuff added on) as well as other factors I am sure such as cooling and engine design parameters/requirements. 

Tyler

Because it has another 33 hp which also matters and weighs a sizeable amount less (roughly 150+ pounds not including the other emissions stuff added on) as well as other factors I am sure such as cooling and engine design parameters/requirements. 

Tyler
The diesel weighs less than the 2.7 even? That's interesting, I know that was one of the reasons mentioned for the 2.7 having so much less towing than the 5.3 given similar-ish power output. It weighs a lot less.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I personally believe the 2.7 motor will be durable over the years . 

GM spent a lot of time/money developing this motor  and who doesn't love Turbo Boost! 

They are also starting to use it in car applications like the Caddys which in most powerful form makes 325/380 , so the Truck application is actually tuned down . 

• Like 3

Having had the first gen EcoBoost in my 2012 F150, I would skip any turbo gas engine going forward. Just give me raw NA power and leave the turbos to the diesel folks and the fart-can tuner kids and racer-wannabes. /s

Seriously though, my F150 was fast as lightning when unloaded. But slap even a lightweight trailer on the back and your fuel economy just plummets. Yes it had the power (for the first 100K miles), but for my money, I'll buy a V8 every time.

Edited by BossTaco2020
sarcasm
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 4:33 PM, econometrics said:

My question is... are there any actual mechanical changes to the 2.7L and 3.0L to get the certification for higher tow ratings? 

Or does this basically back-award the same tow ratings for 2020 and 2019 trucks with the same engines? 

No, the engineers were asked to re-certify at higher tow ratings and they could because there was reserve capacity in the cooling systems.

• Like 2