Am I the only person that actually likes the Goodyear Duratracs?

childstoys

Probably opening up a can of worms here, but it seems very common for people to swap out their Trail Boss Goodyear Duratracs as one of the first things they do. 

These are my second set of Duratracs (first set on my 17’ Taco for 30k miles). I’ve run many of the liked brands of tires over the years on various trucks. Of all them I feel I like the Duratracs from an all around perspective the most. 

I find for how aggressive they are, they handle surprising well on dry pavement and in my experience they don’t get all wild in an emergency braking scenario. They’ve been excellent in wet and snowy conditions and clean themselves very well in the type of mud I spend most of my time in the mountains of south central PA. The road noise doesn’t bother me personally. I’ve owned louder tires in the past. 

Anyone else agree?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, childstoys said:

Probably opening up a can of worms here, but it seems very common for people to swap out their Trail Boss Goodyear Duratracs as one of the first things they do. 

These are my second set of Duratracs (first set on my 17’ Taco for 30k miles). I’ve run many of the liked brands of tires over the years on various trucks. Of all them I feel I like the Duratracs from an all around perspective the most. 

I find for how aggressive they are, they handle surprising well on dry pavement and in my experience they don’t get all wild in an emergency braking scenario. They’ve been excellent in wet and snowy conditions and clean themselves very well in the type of mud I spend most of my time in the mountains of south central PA. The road noise doesn’t bother me personally. I’ve owned louder tires in the past. 

Anyone else agree?

They are good tires, much better than the Goodyear SRA.  

I think the Falken Wildpeak AT3W is the best AT tire in my experience.  Nothing bad to say on the Duratracs though.

My 19 Trail Boss came with them, performed very well in mud. Traded 19 for a 20 with the 3.0 and first thing I did was put on a set of Dura tracs. Got an extra set of rims and run the stock tires in the summer and run the Dura tracs in the winter. No problems here.

9 hours ago, ShortMag said:

Put them on my 2014 and loved them.  Until I replaced them with BFG KO2s at 60k. Then I realized how loud and harsh they were.

went with ridge grapplers on my 19

How do the ridge grapplers compare to the KO2s?

I've always run KO2s but I'm thinking about ridge grapplers after the duratracs wear out.  The duratracs are fine but too loud.  Reminds me of the old Micky thompson baja claws I used to run on my old taco.

I think they're fine. They did well on my trip to my cabin in the mountains and that's all offroad, but only maybe a 1/4 of a mile. But it's uphill and can get muddy if it's been raining which it hadn't. They did well on the highway for the 3 hours it takes me to get to and from the cabin. I've only had the truck for just over 1000 miles so I don't have a lot of experience with them. They're definitely quieter than the Nitto Terra Grapplers I had on my 2016 Tacoma TRD OffRoad on the highway. But that's an apples to oranges comparison, I'm pretty sure my Chevy has more sound insulation than that Tacoma.

Once these Duratracs wear down, I'll probably go with KO2's since I've had them in previous trucks and liked them very much.

Edited by BossTaco2020

3rd set of Duratracs for me.  Snow performance has been great.  I can be in 2wd sometimes and get around very well.  No weight in my box in the winter either.  

For as aggressive as they are, the noise is quite low.  A touch above most AT tires to my ears.  There are much louder tires for sure.  But mis-time a tire rotation, and they will make noise for as long as they are on the truck.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I’ve always run KOs on my trucks. I never had a flat. Sometimes I would work in Austin where thorny bushes reside on their ROWs. I found a good mix of quiet on road with aggressive enough tread for off road. I never tried anything else because these work for me. Nothing worse than traveling on the HWY hearing tire noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does everyone feel about the KOs from a self cleaning perspective? I've never had luck with any BFG cleaning themselves well.

Even when my Duratracs have gotten gummed up I find the side wall tread gets me an extra little help to get out of most jams. 

Edited by childstoys

Love the duratracs, look Good and they perform well and like  many have said at higher speeds they tend to hum Little bit loud. Would have been nice to see the current Trail boss size little bigger. Like the Ram Rebel