Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Borla S-Type: is it worth it?


Recommended Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting the s-type for some time now as I’d like a more aggressive sound for my truck (2020 Sierra).        I’ve been watching a lot of videos on it, but I know they may not do justice to the actual sound.  For those that have it, are you happy with the sound?  Before I make a move on it, I just want to know if there is a significant difference from my factory exhaust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the GM Performance Exhaust, which is the Borla Touring system, essentially. I've had my 5.3L RST since March 2019, and just got the GM exhaust put on 2 weeks ago. 

 

I can tell you unequivocally that the S-Type will be a major exhaust improvement. The S-Type is more aggressive than the Touring, which I have. I personally LOVE the Touring level. It's a big improvement over stock exhaust. Much deeper and really comes to life above 2K RPM. 

 

The S-Type will be even more aggressive, so you'll most certainly find it a big jump from the stock exhaust. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, econometrics said:

I have the GM Performance Exhaust, which is the Borla Touring system, essentially. I've had my 5.3L RST since March 2019, and just got the GM exhaust put on 2 weeks ago. 

 

I can tell you unequivocally that the S-Type will be a major exhaust improvement. The S-Type is more aggressive than the Touring, which I have. I personally LOVE the Touring level. It's a big improvement over stock exhaust. Much deeper and really comes to life above 2K RPM. 

 

The S-Type will be even more aggressive, so you'll most certainly find it a big jump from the stock exhaust. 

^^^^^ What he said....

 

I too have the Borla Touring. On the 6.2 it's a pretty noticeable difference from stock, and perfect for my needs.

 

If you want louder then go S-Type. If you want "shake the neighborhood" go ATAK. My buddy has the ATAK on his 6.2 and it's very loud. 

Edited by childstoys
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'll say that I am really glad the Touring is not any louder. I just did a 600 mile round trip doing 75mph average, and the sound in the cabin was right at my upper limit of being comfortable with it. Had I gone with the S-type or higher, I am positive I would have regretted it. 

 

FYI I've never had a performance exhaust in my 11 years of owning V8 trucks, so take my opinion FWIW. ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Shazbotthegreat said:

That is something to think about.  Are you getting an aggressive sound with the muffler deleted?

+1, and with muffler delete, what RPM's do you hear it, and what is it like cruising at 65-75? Thats my fear. I want a system where I don't hear anything for long drives ! @Shazbotthegreat

Edited by 175vTrailbossLT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had it done for a week and about 250 miles. So far, I don't hear any drone on the highway until about 80mph. Anything above that is a slight drone that you'll get with any system at that speed. Very minimal. There is also a slight drone going up hill that immediately goes away when the truck downshifts. If you leave the flapper (or both flappers if you have the 6.2 like me) it really helps cut down the highway noise. I was hesitant. But then I figured the worst thing that could happen is I hate it, buy a new muffler, and lose $75. I'm still way ahead over buying the whole catback. But I'm an accountant and cost saving is my life haha. I think it's worth a try for any owner looking to do an exhaust system. The risk is minimal but the reward is great if you like it. Here are some samples from my truck: 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the BORLA s-type on my 5.3l and it wasn’t enough for me.  I’m one that likes to hear/feel my exhaust and will side with a more aggressive sound.  In my opinion, from idle-2.5K it sounds tinny with no guts (barely any deep/bass tone).  Like others have said there’s no drone at all...which some people need/like.  Don’t get me wrong I don’t hate the s-type and it’s definitely much louder than stock.  I think the prob with the s-type is that the muffler...although it’s a straight through muffler...it’s almost the same size as the stock muffler.  So whatever BORLA uses for sound deadening inside the muffler sure works good.  I’ve since had a muffler shop remove the s-type muffler and replaced it with a flowmaster outlaw.  I’m happy with the way my exhaust sounds now even if I spent some extra money to get it that way.  Don’t trust videos on YouTube even if you’re wearing earphones/headset.  That was my mistake!  The s-type and flowmaster sound near identical on my Bose earphones but that’s far from the truth.  My advice...if you like a more deep/aggressive exhaust sound and would be worried the s-type might be a little soft then don’t get it.  But if you’re looking for reliability in the 304 stainless and just want your V8 to sound like one then the s-type is a good buy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vette10r said:

Are you guys getting check engine lights with different mufflers or muffler deletes? 

I've had my muffler delete around 500 miles now with no engine light or issues. I had the same concern and did a lot of research beforehand. Doesn't seem like too many issues are out there with exhaust mods. 

Edited by BluegrassMotorsport
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, BluegrassMotorsport said:

I've had my muffler delete around 500 miles now with no engine light or issues. I had the same concern and did a lot of research beforehand. Doesn't seem like too many issues are out there with exhaust mods. 

Awesome thanks for the reply! How's the drone with the delete? I'm considering this option right now, I have a 6.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vette10r said:

Awesome thanks for the reply! How's the drone with the delete? I'm considering this option right now, I have a 6.2

Honestly it's much less than I thought it would be. I don't hear any drone at all until around 80mph and even then, it's very minimal. There's also a little when I start on an incline but it goes away as soon as the truck downshifts. I really encourage people to at least try the muffler delete because it's very inexpensive. Worst case scenario is you hate it and if so, you can buy a Magnaflow muffler to put back in its place that will be quieter and you will still come out way ahead financially over the full system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BluegrassMotorsport said:

Honestly it's much less than I thought it would be. I don't hear any drone at all until around 80mph and even then, it's very minimal. There's also a little when I start on an incline but it goes away as soon as the truck downshifts. I really encourage people to at least try the muffler delete because it's very inexpensive. Worst case scenario is you hate it and if so, you can buy a Magnaflow muffler to put back in its place that will be quieter and you will still come out way ahead financially over the full system. 

Thanks for the info

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.