VdellaV's Guide on Detergents for Carbon Build Up

VdellaV

Hello Everyone!

As the title suggests, i thought it was about time for me to make a cohesive argument on my experience of the last 5 years owning a GDI Silverado.

I normally like to make short concise points that explain how/why things work, based on many hours of research and trial and errors, so this read wont be too long.

GDIs like to accumulate carbon buildup from the continuous process of PCV recirculation and valve overlap into the intake manifold.

With no Port Fuel Injection before the intake valves to spray it off, this can get very expensive really soon, specially on TurboCharged GDI cars, that have even more blow by, sending more PCV vapors into the intake.

On most GM 4.3, 5.3 and 6.2 Gen V Engines, this is not too much of a problem, since we have N/A engines that dont produce as much Blow By, but miles and time eventually will catch up.

My research on Carbon Build Up started with CRC GDI intake Valve Cleaner into the PCV vacuum port, but since i live in Mexico, i was able to buy just a few cans before they stopped selling them here, due to its cost ($15 USD) and low demand.

This got me thinking and I discovered that PEAs are the CRC's active ingredient. PEA or PolyEtherAmine is a strong detergent that when applied directly under heat; dissolves carbon deposits.

After some more research, i soon discovered that Most Fuel Injector Cleaner additives contain similar quantities of PEAs to the CRC GDI Formula, so in a nutshell, you can pour any Fuel Injector Cleaning Additves directly into the intake of your Hot Gasoline Engine, for the same effect. (DONT TRY THIS ON ANY DIESEL ENGINE, ASK ME HOW I KNOW LOL)

My product of choice currently is Chevron Techron Concentrate (up to 50% PEA Content) but there are higher powered cleaners like Chevron Techron Marine that has up to 75%. You can search for eny product Safety Data Sheet, which informs on the chemical formula of it.

TL;DR

Pretty much any Fuel Injector Cleaner has some content of PEA or similar detergents that can be poured directly into the intake manifold of any Gasoline engine, with a little ingenuity, and here are some of my videos. My YouTube Channel helps me allocate funds for product research, buying and testing parts and paying for my Student Debt, so any support there is greatly appreciated!

How to check what chemicals work:

How To Use Injector Cleaners directly into the Throttle Body:

And the latest video; How to Use Injector Cleaner into the vacuum line or vacuum ports:

Older video on Carbon Build Up

Edited by VdellaV
  • Like 1