Camber out of whack?

Cupton

I’m guessing this would be a camber issue. I just had my tires rotated just as I always do every 5k miles and now noticed some inside wear on the rears. The rears were in front the past 5k miles. Is this a camber issue? The rest of the tires look OK. I’m thinking it’s time to have the alignment checked.

3b37f56212d0436946d49286caa54711.jpg

76382869d8f408bb7120c26295f50928.jpg

Some tires just like to chop on the inside even with a good alignment. They normally run a touch negative camber anyway for handling. Those kinda look like cooper tires and I've seen them do that many times before.

31 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Some tires just like to chop on the inside even with a good alignment. They normally run a touch negative camber anyway for handling. Those kinda look like cooper tires and I've seen them do that many times before.

They are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. Good eye! I assumed there would be a little smoothing at the edges of the tread since it’s a pretty squared tire and not really rounded at the edges of the tread. If that makes any sense. Not sure of the correct tire terminology. I’m just a bit surprised at how much it’s worn down if that is in fact what’s going on here.

That appears to be the inside edge.  If so, a problem withe the toe setting can also cause this.  Get an alignment, at worst they tell you it's good and then you'll know for sure.  At best, it's off a bit and they get you straightened out.

3 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

That appears to be the inside edge.  If so, a problem withe the toe setting can also cause this.  Get an alignment, at worst they tell you it's good and then you'll know for sure.  At best, it's off a bit and they get you straightened out.

Kind of my thinking too. Go get it checked out and if it’s all good then we’ll know it’s the coopers. Like going to the doctor to get a checkup when something doesn’t feel right. ?

If possible send a pic of the entire tread. 

I am running -.5° of front camber (last time I checked).

Here you go. Not sure if this is what you are looking to see or not. It’s dark out so I had to use a light. Looks as if it’s just the outer edge of the inner lugs that are thinning out. More so on this one particular tire. I’m thinking it’ll be OK for at least a little while. Now that I’m aligned I’ll just keep doing my usual 5k mile rotations when I get my oil changed, keep an eye on it and I’ll buy new tires when it’s time. Whenever that may be. May be sooner rather than later!

e25c7c781860a637aca3f647f73b505f.jpg

a37ba1d5af8ece9f60b12954bd7e849d.jpg

This photo really shows how the edge of the lugs wore down.

1cd86399099e4d3e7ca74804e3184682.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I bought those same tires for my 06 Yukon 4x4 and they are the best SUV/Truck tires I've owned.  I'm going to buy a set for my 2018 Sierra.  On my yukon  I have  roughly 40K on them and they still look brand new.  They work great off road and the truck handles the turns great on dry pavement.  Cooper Discoverer AT3

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I had a similar issue with my last set of tires. I had the alignment checked and everything seemed to be in spec. They started out with a slight interior chop and eventually just got worse (and noisier), despite frequent rotation.

I was told some ties are prone to uneven wear. I was also told that more aggressive tires should be rotated every 3,000 miles.

Initial:

a2e56eafa83661cf14695992e88cbf86.jpg

Later stages:
76e4cc25781c3e74903ceaaa2ddccb7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1