GM service bulletin for faulty valve springs

I posted i the issues section but my 6.2 AT4 had a valve spring go while i was going 80mph down the freeway in the 5th lane from the right of a 6 lane interstate. Thankfully, some truckers helped block traffic while i coasted to the shoulder (there was no left shoulder). This was on Oct 7th after 5 days of ownership and ~220 miles on it.

Unfortunately, it dropped a valve and fragged out the motor. The dealer initially told me they couldn't get the new engine until mid-November but they called me and said the new motor arrived yesterday and the new flywheel and torque converter should arrive today. They're hoping to have it back to me by next week. I just hope there aren't any more issues and i can convince them to give me an extended warranty or something.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, RLW59 said:

I am really glad they found enough springs, to do the complete fix. Mine is still at the dealership, and both the dealer and GM are telling me they cannot locate the 14 needed, to replace the rest of mine, after failure number two. Maybe soon.

Keep insisting on the warranty extension, they should come through with it. Even though neither of us dropped a valve, its hard to say if it bent, or weakened it, when the spring(s) broke.

Have you actually spoken with anyone at GM, or are you relying on your dealership for communication and they are telling you "GM doesn't have enough valve springs to fix your truck"?

Sounds like your dealer might be dicking you around and trying to get you to accept a half-ass repair, not to the GM TSB specs.

Ok. The last word has been had by one member on a strange tangent in this thread. Everyone back on topic. No need to discuss this member, and if this one does feel the urge to continue wanting "to get the last word" in, he gets a time out. Another words, it's over

Edited by txab
  • Thanks 2

6.2 springs show stock at one warehouse in GM's CCA warehouse network. 

That said, I've not had to order any so I don't know what the "true" availability is.  Sometimes a PDC warehouse will show stock, but GM will put a hold/constraint on said part. 

12691120 is the current 6.2 spring p/n as of Jan 2020. 

5.3 and the 6.6 gas HD engines use a different spring, p/n 12677931.  

If you have a 6.2 and this happens, make sure to mention to your dealer on your drop off envelope:

#PIP5752B: Service Engine Light misfire engine noise With DTC P0300 P0106 P0506 - (Oct 13, 2020)

Also, take note to mention this part:

Correction

During inspection if you determine that the engine has a broken valve spring it will be necessary to perform a cylinder leakage test on the affected cylinder.

If no cylinder leakage is observed it will be necessary to replace all valve springs on both banks if the vehicle is built between June 1, 2020 to September 15, 2020. Note: This only applies to the 6.2L engines RPOs L87, LT1, LT4 and LT2. For all other engine RPOs L82, L84 and L8T just replace the affected valve spring.

If you determine that engine has cylinder leakage it will be necessary to inspect further to determine the extent of the engine damage to determine correct repair required.

Important: All valve springs will be requested back for further analysis and inspection.

GM wants 6.2 engines to have ALL the springs changed out, both banks.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jlong1984 said:

Have you actually spoken with anyone at GM, or are you relying on your dealership for communication and they are telling you "GM doesn't have enough valve springs to fix your truck"?

Sounds like your dealer might be dicking you around and trying to get you to accept a half-ass repair, not to the GM TSB specs.

I don't believe them, but yes, I have an open case with GM. The GM customer case representative, stated the same backlog, and verified they were on order with no ETA. I can wait as long as they want. I have one of the dealers new Sierra Denali's, with a diesel. No issues with it so far.

The dealer and GM representative have been told, I would not pick mine up, until all 16 springs have been replaced per the TSB. So we wait, while I rack up miles on their vehicle.     

35 minutes ago, RLW59 said:

I don't believe them, but yes, I have an open case with GM. The GM customer case representative, stated the same backlog, and verified they were on order with no ETA. I can wait as long as they want. I have one of the dealers new Sierra Denali's, with a diesel. No issues with it so far.

The dealer and GM representative have been told, I would not pick mine up, until all 16 springs have been replaced per the TSB. So we wait, while I rack up miles on their vehicle.     

You try telling them to keep your truck and you'll keep the Duramax Denali.  ?

Update: Finally got it back after 17 days, they replaced all 16 Springs and seals. The tech said he found 3 broken springs on the on the other bank, for a total of 5 broken, he also said he found several bad seals. Not sure what occurred, but it seems like more than just a batch of bad springs. If you experience this issue, please ensure they follow the TSB, and replace them all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RLW59 said:

Update: Finally got it back after 17 days, they replaced all 16 Springs and seals. The tech said he found 3 broken springs on the on the other bank, for a total of 5 broken, he also said he found several bad seals. Not sure what occurred, but it seems like more than just a batch of bad springs. If you experience this issue, please ensure they follow the TSB, and replace them all.

I would love to see this motor on a Spintron. 

• Like 1

Sounds to me like they know what happened at the spring supplier.

But...

they aren't 100% sure where the improperly manufactured springs ended up. 

And no way in hell they're gonna tell us what caused the problem.

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Andrew1993 said:

I have an 8/5 build with the 5.3. Valve spring went Monday 10/26 at 181 miles. Hoping to have my RST back this week

Holy ******, I also have an 8-5 build with a 5.3.  I purposely ran it hard from the beginning because of this issue.  2100 miles and so far so good, fingers crossed.

Edited by steelcity

3 hours ago, Andrew1993 said:

I have an 8/5 build with the 5.3. Valve spring went Monday 10/26 at 181 miles. Hoping to have my RST back this week

That is no good. Hadn’t heard of 5.3 having the issue. My 5.3 was built mid September. Hope I dodged the bullet.