In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

frame coating

Great forum!!!!!

i just bougth a brand new sierra elevation 2020 and make my undercoating wiyh fluid film and was told not to shoot the frame with it so you guys what do you use too protectthe frame. I think the first year you put nothing.....

Thanks!

This is how I protect my undercarriage. I just won’t drive it if it’s calling for rain. I drive my Civic to work due to it getting much better gas mileage. I guess I’m to picky but these things are expensive. 

904F9547-6A32-4743-9D47-2B9B8AC17659.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Resqu2 said:

This is how I protect my undercarriage. I just won’t drive it if it’s calling for rain. I drive my Civic to work due to it getting much better gas mileage. I guess I’m to picky but these things are expensive. 

904F9547-6A32-4743-9D47-2B9B8AC17659.jpeg

What fun is that?  Less safe too, drive that thing, don't save it for the next guy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

What fun is that?  Less safe too, drive that thing, don't save it for the next guy.

That's what I'm saying! Although in my case I have a Lexus RX350 FSport AWD that is admittedly better in the rainy conditions and probably the 1-3 days of snow we'll get here in NC. But I'll drive my Trail Boss in all of that because I just like driving it better.

But getting back to frame coating, can you get line-x bedliner sprayed? Or is that not a thing? I've never needed undercoating here in NC for any of my vehicles.

• Like 1

All I’ve done for some time is touch up the factory coating a few times a year with Daubert Nox-Rust. I’ve had good results, two winters in, everything looks more or less like new.

You don’t really want to put incompatible products like Fluid Film over the frame coating or you’ll have a real mess. You can still FF inside the rockers, fender lips, etc, though.

• 9 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 10:43 PM, 99silveradoz71 said:

Daubert Chemical Nox Rust is the wax coating used on the frames from the factory. You could coat any thin or bare spots with that. I've used Fluid Film on the metal under my truck with good results, then just tried to keep the frame clean.

On the Daubert website, there are multiple Nox Rust products.

Is this the one GM uses on T1 frames?

https://www.daubertchemical.com/products/corrosion-prevention/product/nox-rust-x-121b?

If not, which one?

16 hours ago, Chevrolet1 said:

On the Daubert website, there are multiple Nox Rust products.

Is this the one GM uses on T1 frames?

https://www.daubertchemical.com/products/corrosion-prevention/product/nox-rust-x-121b?

If not, which one?

Yes, that is the correct one.  I purchased 2 cans of aersol Nox Rust and it works great in aerosol form. 

2 hours ago, Gangly said:

Yes, that is the correct one.  I purchased 2 cans of aersol Nox Rust and it works great in aerosol form. 

Do you have a good source for this? 

Guess I should have google first, straight from the manufacturer it seems. 

Edited by Dirk13

On 7/22/2021 at 11:44 AM, Gangly said:

Thanks Gangly. And, I see you're in The Woodlands, TX. Small world, we probably live about 30 mins from each other.

Hate that frame coating.  It gets everywhere on my lift and the garage floor.  In my opinion, GM didn't paint or powder coat the frames because they're CHEAP!  Kinda like the absence of storage on the middle seat lid.  How low can they go!

On 7/24/2021 at 1:41 PM, Chevrolet1 said:

Thanks Gangly. And, I see you're in The Woodlands, TX. Small world, we probably live about 30 mins from each other.

Probably.  I grew up in Spring, off of 1960 and Aldine Westfield, so your in my old stomping grounds 😁