Factory Michelin tires - gonna suck in the snow?

I'm expecting to use my '19 LD in the snow this winter - I was fortunate to not have to last winter.  Given that, I'm looking at the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S & thinking the shallow, non-aggressive tread is just going to be useless in the white stuff.  I'm happy with them as a summer highway tire, but just not getting good vibes as things cool off....

....anyone with experience care to comment?

spacer.png

My experience with Michelins and snow have all been positive. I have used them exclusively for the past 20 winters.  However, I have had no experience with the "Energy Saver" line.  I believe the issue is more about tire compound and tread design.  We often envision big aggressive lug type tires paddling their way through the snow.   When bias ply tires were normal I use to put large deep tread lug tires on the back of my two wheel drives, along with copious amounts of weight in the box.  Then I moved up to northern Canada where snow on the ground was more common than not.  The locals were driving two wheel drive pickups with unassuming tires.  It was from them that I learned deep treads don't mean better snow traction. Look at dedicated winter automotive tires and they don't look any more aggressive than factory tires.   Try your factory tires first.  You might get a pleasant surprise!

• Like 2

Agreed I think the tire compound is probably going to be the worse part.
I prefer a winter tire so I can get off the line and stop faster then the people that are trying to use just the factory all seasons and annoys me that they can't go at least the speed limit on the highway or hog up the fast lane and only go 45.
When we get fresh snow or weather changes I do a break check and try acceleration at full speed to see how I need to adjust to the road.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I just got Defenders LTX M/S. That's some kind of tread grooves that look like canyons and there are tread blocks on the sides. They are not like the picture posted above.  They are quiet, ride nicely. I have no doubt they will be good in the snow if we get some this winter.

I can't wait.

image.png.d9a799e20092e05e02142ec75011d7f0.png

Edited by Beamie

On 10/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, Beamie said:

I just got Defenders LTX M/S. That's some kind of tread grooves that look like canyons and there are tread blocks on the sides. They are not like the picture posted above.  They are quiet, ride nicely. I have no doubt they will be good in the snow if we get some this winter.

I can't wait.

I am always excited to go out driving in a fresh snowfall. Twenty Canadian winters on Michelin LTX MS/LTX MS2/ Defender tires, in P and LT ratings, have given me the confidence to get out before the snow plows!

It's been snowing on and off the past week in Calgary, and I've been out a few times.

I always run winter tires, but haven't got them on yet, as this snow is pretty early in the season.

I can tell the factory tires suck......compared to the Michelin X-ice. They slide easier in corners, spin a bit more when accelerating from a stop, and take a bit longer to stop. For sure they're manageable when you know what to expect, but if you're expecting long winter conditions, you'll benefit immensely from putting true winter tires on. I "almost" drive at normal summer speed and aggressiveness in snow & ice when I have the winter tires on, they're that good. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll second that the LTX M/S2 (whatever the current iteration is named) are excellent for the winters we have in Southern Ontario, which is essentially everything. Fresh snow/packed snow/slush/ice, they handle all of them very well.