Multiple Service Lights and Strong Sulfur/Rotten Egg Smell

We purchased a 2021 Yukon Denali a week ago.  3x now, several lights have came on and the 1st time a VERY strong rotten egg/Sulfur smell (cat. Converter smell)...  Shut the engine off and all lights go off until you drive it again for about 30 min then come back on.  SERVICE ESC, SERVICE STABILITRACK, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, FRONT END COLLISION AND CHECK ENGINE.  Right before these lights all come on the vehicle starts to idle very rough almost like it has a miss in the engine and continues until you shut the engine down....  HELP, we have less than 450 miles!!!!!

20201007_145209.jpg

20201007_145206.jpg

20201007_145159.jpg

20201012_103306.jpg

39 minutes ago, coachhomer said:

Yeah but that is obviously frustrating for $75,000 car. And he is documenting it for the rest of us to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it could be like that until the "HELP, we have less than 450 miles!!!!!" part...

Anyway, I hope the O.P.'s dealer can get it fixed quickly.

Well, it could be like that until the "HELP, we have less than 450 miles!!!!!" part...

Anyway, I hope the O.P.'s dealer can get it fixed quickly.

And that would be the “frustrating“ part. Have you ever said something emotional when you were frustrated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

So what was the cause? My new 2015 did it twice in the first few miles, all kinds of codes. I brought it back they reset and it did it again. It was codes made the vehicle run funny. It turned out to be the coatings on the exhaust pipes and manifolds that created the problem as it burned off. It should have a stopped within 100 miles or so. I was going on a long trip so it got hot enough that it stopped and all the lights went to normal .  

• 2 months later...

I'm having a similar problem: 2021 yukon Denali with 200 miles on it. Similar lights on. Same rough idle. Cruise doesn't work either. Just started tonight. I wouldn't say the smell is boiled eggs though - more like burning plastic but that's not it either.

The smell was there since the first day we got it. Dealer said it was just because it was new. My truck (2013 silverado) never did that though.

Taking it in tomorrow. Hopefully just the coil as well.

Edited by jorge69i

• 2 months later...

What did the problem end up being? We bought a 2021 Yukon XL 3 months ago. This morning, it started making a loud clunking sound while idling really rough. Now the dashboard is lit up with all sorts of service required notifications. Traction control, real axle off, service esc, etc. The car only has 3000 miles on it. We bought it brand new off the showroom floor. 

What did the problem end up being? We bought a 2021 Yukon XL 3 months ago. This morning, it started making a loud clunking sound while idling really rough. Now the dashboard is lit up with all sorts of service required notifications. Traction control, real axle off, service esc, etc. The car only has 3000 miles on it. We bought it brand new off the showroom floor. 
Pushrod, lifter or valve spring. Luckily you are still under warranty.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, mjm-1957 said:

No, have them tow it and give you a loaner.

I am working out of state and the dealership doesnt have a loaner and the nearest Enterprise is 50 miles away.  Just got an email from Diagnostics, it says that the emission needs servicing.

In the last three weeks we have had 3 of the new yukons come in with bent pushrods and misfire codes. All were the newest version of cylinder deactivation. We cant keep up with all the engine work lately. GM better pull there head out of there asses and come up with something better than this dynamic skip fire system. They all had between 3500 - 13000 miles on them. Between the afm lifters collapsing, the valve springs breaking and the oil consumption problems its a never ending stream of heavy engine work........