In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Ballinonabudget

Where are the knock sensors on a 2011 Silverado HD 6.0 Vortec?

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD , 6.0L Vortec V8

In the middle of working on this truck, and can't find the knock sensors. Are they under the intake on this year? Half the search results say go through the wheel well on the sides of the motor, the other half say under the intake. 

The new sensors definitely don't look like the style that normally go under the intake. I just can't find them anywhere on the block though.

Any help is really appreciated, I'm working on it right now.

16025270774211206611643300703449.jpg

Edited by Ballinonabudget

The ones I’ve seen in the valley have a connector on top. I have not seen a knock sensor on the side of the block. And I have not had the intake off my 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, casey.mikl said:

The ones I’ve seen in the valley have a connector on top. I have not seen a knock sensor on the side of the block. And I have not had the intake off my 2011

Thats the problem, all the knock sensors Ive seen that go under the intake are the little drum/cylinder metal ones with the nipple type connector sticking straight up out of them, these are totally different... only ever worked on the old style and can't find ANY information on this online.

I would suggest getting a subscription to the full service manual at a site like alldatadiy.com (or other sites), relatively cheap (about $50 for five years), and it tells you how to repair most stuff on your truck.

Okay I think I’m wrong. Guess GM moved them to the side of the block. When your under the truck. There appears to be one infront of the starter and one on the other side of the block. They look covered by a large silver thermal type cup to prevent damage or heat.

The knock sensors are only under the intake on LQ4 and LQ9 6.0 engines. All the rest are on the side of the block, those include LY6, L96, L76/L77 engines.

The year break down is 1999-2007 for under the intake and 2007.5+ for on the block for 6.0's.

2011 should be an L96.  Yes, knock sensors are on the either side of the block, right between the starter and engine mount, left between the oil cooler lines and engine mount.  They may have thermal insulators covering them.  Much better location, they seldom give trouble since GM moved them.

Thanks for the help everyone. I found the sensors on my own a bit after posting... truck had so much rust it was not fun at all. Had to pull the starter to access the passenger side sensor, sort of a PITA. 

12 hours ago, casey.mikl said:

Under the intake in the middle of the valley

With these sensors?

http://imgur.com/gallery/GaSEkJ1