In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

19-20 1500 5.3-6.2 Tuning

On 10/12/2020 at 4:17 PM, Nick2019AT4 said:

Ali, good luck with tuning your GMC, I've been waiting forever, bought 2019 GMC AT4 6.2 L 10 Speed last March, put K&N Cold Air Induction, ordered it with GMs Borla Exhaust, had it Dynoed 360HP, 384 TQ, Waiting for tune, they tell me GMC has computers locked up on there trucks. This truck is pretty quick with just this, 1/8 mile 9.23, actually beat a friend of mines 2018 Ford Raptor till he got a tune. 

DSCN0180.JPG

Nice truck! So it seems like you saw pretty good improvement with the kn intake over the gm performance package one? Any check engine lights or issues?

Casey, The so-called PERFORMANCE COLD AIR INTAKE GM sells is garbage, made about 2 hp 1tq, DYNOED, K&N made 16hp 14tq, big difference, and no, to your question of ck engine light. I've been putting K&N Cold Air Intakes on my trucks for a long time and Dynoing them, they make good power and no issues.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nick2019AT4 said:

Casey, The so-called PERFORMANCE COLD AIR INTAKE GM sells is garbage, made about 2 hp 1tq, DYNOED, K&N made 16hp 14tq, big difference, and no, to your question of ck engine light. I've been putting K&N Cold Air Intakes on my trucks for a long time and Dynoing them, they make good power and no issues.

Nice numbers. You should show this to some “non-believers” on this site that state CAI and exhaust don’t improve performance. So little do they know. 
When I added my Corsa exhaust and S&B CAI, I noticed a big difference in acceleration and throttle response. 

Happy Thanksgiving and take care. 

• Like 1

Casey. Most of these people talk a lot of crap, and most don't spend the money to DYNO these products before and after, I have, and Have the DYNO SHEETS to prove it, that's the only way to really know if they are adding power. I also had the BORLA Exhaust put on thru the dealer, got a hold of BORLA and they told me they make the exhaust for GM and it puts out about 15 hp, I didn't DYNO that because I ordered the truck with it. But my real #s were 360 hp 384tq at the wheels, would like 400 hp 400 tq, if they ever come out with a tune. The truck is quick for having a 3.23 rear end, beats Dodge, with there 3.90 rear end and Ford with there 4.10 rear end, Toyota Tundra has a 4.30 rear end and can't come close to this truck, the DYNO and DRAGSTRIP proves a lot.

Those numbers are about avg anyway when most consider that drive train loss is ~15%. Your numbers are 15-17% when compared to crank numbers.

If someone gains 40whp from a tune I will eat my shorts. I can't even gain that kinda of power on my L83 5.3 on E85 and I've been tuning with HP Tuners for years. Under the curve gains are where we feel the most, if it picks up 15-20hp from 2000-4000rpm, you should notice it.

• Like 2

You guys dynoing with stock tuning in the wrong gear to avoid the limiter are not getting the best data. Then again we are talking about CAI and exhaust here.

I spend most of my day everyday on the dyno tuning cars/trucks so Im pretty well versed in this stuff. The L87 ( I own one) does not dyno or respond to mods any differently then an L86. There are just some slight variances in driveline loss between the A6, A8 and A10 offered over the years.

I have not bothered with tuning mine yet due to the cost. I will be doing so when I install a 2650 in early 21.

Trucks will far exceed the speed limiter if you tried to dyno in the correct gear. The 6 speeds is like 4th gear and the 10 speeds is like 6th gear. Even if the speed limiter was gone you still have the driveshaft to worry about.

Like the post above said when you have to dyno in gears 2 or 3, maybe even 4th the data isn't as accurate.

• Like 1

Trucks will far exceed the speed limiter if you tried to dyno in the correct gear. The 6 speeds is like 4th gear and the 10 speeds is like 6th gear. Even if the speed limiter was gone you still have the driveshaft to worry about.

Like the post above said when you have to dyno in gears 2 or 3, maybe even 4th the data isn't as accurate.

Yes I am aware of where the 1:1 gears are in A8/10 and do not use those but the guys running these in 3rd gear to avoid exceeding 100 mph are not getting the most accurate numbers. The stock driveshafts generally hold to 120 if the angle are not bad from lifting or lowering the wrong way.

The guys who have trucks with a 112 limiter can get away with 4th on the A10

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone taken the plunge and got a Holley tuning product installed, looking for feedback, on the edge, predator or flaspaq, 35hp 35ftlbs under the curve and peak 16hp and 20ftlbs with a smother idle and tip in sounds decent to me. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

I’m waiting on the refresh from GM. Still hoping for a supercharged truck. Crossing my fingers. If not might have to go this route and tune it with Diablo. 

No supercharged truck coming from GM.  I'll Venmo you $5 if I'm wrong.  We'll find out next week on the 9th.