In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Food & Drink

Grumpy Bear

6 hours ago, shakenfake said:

The calorie thing is the most true.

I think a lot of people forget that when dealing with fads... 

Did you know that a gallon of gasoline contains about 30,000 calories? About the same as 86.45 lbs. of potatoes!!

The calorie is just an unit of energy. We consume it and we expend it. Just like a SBC. We do so at an efficiency of roughly 25% or about the same as the SBC (early iron Gen 1). Unlike humans however the SBC can not store energy. 

Root Vegetables and Tubers at Breakfast 

Breakfast is my favorite meal. I have time to prepare it without becoming so hungry that I "Wolf" it down ergo, I actually enjoy it the most of any meal of the day. 

Fact is I could eat the same thing every day of my life without becoming bored or repelled. However as I don't have to, I don't and I love to experiment in the kitchen. 

Recently, thanks to dads garden, I've been reintroduced to things we ate as children the faded away in my adult life. It started with this years crop of beets and dad explaining bleed free prep but they are not so much a breakfast sort of thing. 

Plain old potatoes are center stage normally but recent concerns for calories and blood chemistry are leading me down a different path. Root vegetables and tubers. Turnips. Rutabaga. Parsnips. Carrots. Celeriac. Fennel. Ginger. Radish. Jicama.  Some are familiar and used commonly. Onions and potatoes? Who doesn't love that. But some we (I) just have never seen used and that is changing. 

I traded half the potatoes for diced carrots this morning and yes some white onion fried in a half tablespoon of soybean oil. (Crisco Vegetable oil). Salt and pepper. It was good. Tomorrow I'll try some turnips and fennel.

If you have ideas and/or experiences with these share them please!!  

Turnip Experiment

A few nights ago I low boiled in skin two soft ball sized turnips for 40 minutes. (to long. I'll try 30 minutes next time.) Pealed and sliced into 1/4" slices, packaged and put in the frig. 

This AM I diced, 1/4" dice about a 100 grams of them along with 40 grams of diced white onion. After frying up a slice of smoked (hickory) bacon and adding 1/2 tablespoon of soybean oil to heat, I fried the turnip/onion mix until the onions were translucent and beginning to brown then added the bacon in a fine dice and a bit of pepper. No salt. Bacon does that. Dished that up for a taste. It was quiet good AND when I logged that into my app I was surprised to find that turnips have about 1/4 the calorie density of potatoes!! 

So how did they taste/ Pretty darn good but I on first bite I said to myself...red onion not white and ......sage feels like it would work in this dish with pork or perhaps fennel with beef.  Yes...could have used a bit more salt too. But red onion it will be on the next attempt. 

Mashed Turnips is something my mother use to make with morel/greens and small game (Arkansas girl 😉 ) so it took me a lifetime to see them as a breakfast possibility. They will go savory or sweet equally well I think.

Jump in anytime with whatever you have guys' n gals.    

Hen of the Woods

IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.2d4bc083ad711057391dde9c14e2605d.JPG

Hen of the Woods is a seasonal wild mushroom cooked with turnips, onion and red bell pepper.

An orange (I ate the other half preparing).

Some artisan toasted multigrain bread with Irish butter.

A strip of thick cut Hickory smoked bacon and a plain one egg omelet with smoked paprika and cracked black pepper. 

445 calories

20.9 grams total fat:  6.5 grams saturated, 4.4 grams poly, and 4.8 grams mono. Zero trans-fat. A hint of Omega3. 

48.5 grams carbs

20.4 grams protein

231 mg cholesterol (ops)

The turnips were par boiled then fried with the remaining raw ingredients in the bacon fat rendered during frying. No I do not count the bacon fat twice. :wtf:

Bread is buttered, yes, but only 3 grams. 

My neighbor Ron and his son Trevor forage, trap, hunt, fish, butcher, smoke, salt, garden and can......and he shares. 😉

He supplied the mushrooms. Tasty!! 

I limit myself to 7% of my total calories coming from saturated fats (Cleveland Medical Recommended) and I have a zero policy for trans fats. I don't eat commercial bakery goods. Breakfast was exactly 1/2 of my daily saturated fats. But boy was this good! 

• 106 grams of Turnips
  • 34 grams of Onion
  • 38 grams Hen of the Woods
  • 30 grams Red Pepper

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tasty!

I might have touched on this before but I'm expanding. We all know that it's the fat/sugar and salt that makes food taste good, right? It's also the part that gets us in trouble when weight and/or health is a concern. This has lead me to experimenting with fats and sugars. For you guys this must be like watching an infant learn to walk. 

Go into any grocery of any size and you will find about fifty different Olive oils but have you tried Sesame Oil or Hemp seed Oil? Many oils have a neutral taste. Canola, soybean, peanut for examples but these two have HUGE flavors. Sesame more so than hemp but can compliment or add flavor where there was none. No need to get carried away with them either. Small amounts of Sesame go a long way. Forget the 'type casting'. Experiment with things other than stir fry. 

When I was young we had sorghum cane fields behind the house and a Waconia Sorghum plant just down the road my best friends mother worked at. It's what people used before honey and granulated sugar. Or Molasses. Several variations on this one. Most people think of BBQ as the only use for Molasses. I like it in coffee instead of sugar when I want it sweet. Pretty good on toast too alone of with nut butters.  I've emptied several Honey Bears and refilled them with Sorghum and Molasses and yes, kept the honey. Like an IHOP in the cupboard. Like Sesame oil these two sweeteners have big taste that will have you using less of it. Speaking of which pure maple syrup needs a bear 😉 

This is where I fall and crack my head on the coffee table.    

Breakfast. My favorite meal. I hardly ever miss breakfast. If I eat a big breakfast, I'm good until supper.

I always have 2 eggs, 2 pics. toast, hashbrowns or fried potatoes. Bacon or sausage is a must.

A lot of people would say this is unhealthy but I love it.

I can't stand oatmeal or cereal so eggs and bacon it is.

Here is my breakfast today.....

Screenshot_20211015-081937_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

I always have 2 eggs, 2 pics. toast, hashbrowns or fried potatoes. Bacon or sausage is a must.

A lot of people would say this is unhealthy but I love it.

Ever notice Jim how many things "people say"? And who are "they"? If it isn't people saying something it's they. 

Want someone's attention and add weight to your comment? Then say "Studies show". You don't have to name your study, just say its so and it will be. 😉 

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cholesterol/rda

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dietary-cholesterol-does-not-matter#effects

Links to studies numbered in the text. click for results of peer reviewed artricles. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Ever notice Jim how many things "people say"? And who are "they"? If it isn't people saying something it's they. 

Want someone's attention and add weight to your comment? Then say "Studies show". You don't have to name your study, just say its so and it will be. 😉 

https://www.healthline.com/health/high-cholesterol/rda

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/dietary-cholesterol-does-not-matter#effects

Links to studies numbered in the text. click for results of peer reviewed artricles. 

I don’t skimp breakfast. Although I lean weigh watchers. Bacon, eggs toast, no butter just jelly. Or egg omelette, cheese, jimmy deans turkey sausage. Fifteen hours after dinner. Protein drink for lunch, some fruit. Weight Watchers is the bomb.

I very very rarely eat breakfast. Not really a fan of breakfast foods. I just don't eat until lunch and then I have been eating the same lunch for the past 10 years of my life

On 9/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

Hen of the Woods

IMG_0469.thumb.JPG.2d4bc083ad711057391dde9c14e2605d.JPG

Hen of the Woods is a seasonal wild mushroom cooked with turnips, onion and red bell pepper.

An orange (I ate the other half preparing).

Some artisan toasted multigrain bread with Irish butter.

A strip of thick cut Hickory smoked bacon and a plain one egg omelet with smoked paprika and cracked black pepper. 

445 calories

20.9 grams total fat:  6.5 grams saturated, 4.4 grams poly, and 4.8 grams mono. Zero trans-fat. A hint of Omega3. 

48.5 grams carbs

20.4 grams protein

231 mg cholesterol (ops)

The turnips were par boiled then fried with the remaining raw ingredients in the bacon fat rendered during frying. No I do not count the bacon fat twice. :wtf:

Bread is buttered, yes, but only 3 grams. 

My neighbor Ron and his son Trevor forage, trap, hunt, fish, butcher, smoke, salt, garden and can......and he shares. 😉

He supplied the mushrooms. Tasty!! 

I limit myself to 7% of my total calories coming from saturated fats (Cleveland Medical Recommended) and I have a zero policy for trans fats. I don't eat commercial bakery goods. Breakfast was exactly 1/2 of my daily saturated fats. But boy was this good! 

• 106 grams of Turnips
  • 34 grams of Onion
  • 38 grams Hen of the Woods
  • 30 grams Red Pepper

I don't measure anything, I eat to be content rather than full, don't eat a solid meal for 24 hrs (PB&J with fruit 18 hrs after the solid meal).  That breakfast looks pretty good, my onions would have to be Vidalia Sweets.  Last time I ate turnips was probably 55 yrs ago, don't remember the taste.  What kind of taste do they bring to that meal?  

5172CEE1-1352-4FF8-98C5-8233FD869B4B.JPG.c3f07673628ed804ab6b5263e9a48fb7.JPG

We said farewell to a kitty this week we've had for 11/12 years. For a few days comfort food and ill advised eating will be center stage. Trixy was a rescue. Three legged and abused we got her when about 3. RIP little girl. 

Doesn't she look dressed for the Mardi Gras? 

6 pounder that punched well above her weight and as fast as anything on four pins. My wife's favorite child and constant companion. The other three kitties miss her an so does Rex.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Zip said:

I don't measure anything, I eat to be content rather than full, don't eat a solid meal for 24 hrs (PB&J with fruit 18 hrs after the solid meal).  That breakfast looks pretty good, my onions would have to be Vidalia Sweets.  Last time I ate turnips was probably 55 yrs ago, don't remember the taste.  What kind of taste do they bring to that meal?  

They are very neutral mixed equally with white potatoes. Unique when consumed alone. I can't say they taste like anything. I like them either way. 

If chickens were cannibals would they say, "Taste just like chicken!" 

:dunno:

My sincere condolences for the passing of Trixy.   The loss of a pet is an exceptionally sad and emotional experience.  I remember our suffering over the loss of our previous pet.   It was so intense that we made a commitment to never put ourselves in that position again.  We broke our promise a year later when we had the opportunity to save our current rescue, Star.  The line that, "Tis better to have loved and lost, / Than never have loved at all",  was our rationale.   Your loss will soon be overshadowed by memories of all of the joy Trixy brought to you and Mama Bear!

• Thanks 1