In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Towing for the first time with my 3.0 Duramax - what would you want to see in a video?

Carbon

I'm about to leave on a 1500ish mile trip towing my car from Utah to California and back. My 3.0 duramax has just about 1000 miles on it and this will be my first tow with it. i have done this trip in my nearly identical 5.3 and I was pleased with that. 

I will be recording some footage along the way to hopefully give some insight to people on the fence about buying a mini duramax, what the towing mileage is as well as DEF consumption.

I am bringing the GM scan tool and laptop with me so I can check on data at any time if I see fit.

My question to you is, What would you like to see? 

# of regens?

Def usage?

MPG?

how it feels when driving?

shout it out and I will see what I can include.\\\

Edited by Carbon

If you encounter any down hill grades while towing please try the exhaust brake with TH and cruise control and no cruise control.

TFL had poor results with this test and I would like to see if other driving techniques would help engage the exhaust brake sooner?  

Thanks.

thanks for the inputs. I did not see any of these before I towed but I think I hit them all. Will put the video together most likely on sunday

mileage was about 17mpg towing over 1300 miles and def usage was just over 3.5 gallons

def display was quite interesting during the tow and I will show that in the video. 

pulling up hills was amazing. no problem doing 80 (where the speed limit permits)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Carbon said:

added video 1 to the original post

I woke up with morning to my phone having a suggested YouTube video notification.  It was yours,  how weird lol crazy how "they" (I'm guessing)   used this thread to determine to push that notification to my phone via YouTube. 

Anyway great vid - when you were going up that grade were you going wide open throttle ?

Edited by SkiDooNick700

8 minutes ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

I woke up with morning to my phone having a suggested YouTube video notification.  It was yours,  how weird lol crazy how "they" (I'm guessing)   used this thread to determine to push that notification to my phone via YouTube. 

Anyway great vid - when you were going up that grade were you going wide open throttle ?

Awesome ! Glad youtube did that for us, lol.

I was not on the pedal very much at all. Rolling into it just a little like normal driving. I know the way my commentary was, it may have come off as if I was pushing the truck hard. I wasn't, it was just getting the job done.

Sadly, I lost a lot of video / it wasn't recording when I thought it was and most of that was hill climb. Flying up the hills in Utah going 80mph (speed limit) took it like a champ, the 5.3 had to run high up in the rpm's to match.

Video 2 has a couple more hill climbs to show, but nothing like I had on day 1 that didn't make it ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NE18 said:

Hmm let’s talk about that ZL1... wife and I are looking at getting one next year. How do you like it? Is yours a manual or 10-speed?

I love it ! it's a manual and it's the 1LE package so it is quite stiff. Love the power, you can be in any gear and it moves out no problem. All of the creature comforts are extremely nice. I'm coming from a 2015 Z/28 with no features so everything is nice to me ?

Video 2 is up. I will work on the production quality in the future but these give a good assessment on how well the duramax tows and mileage while towing through some hills.