In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

bradleyheathhays

Vehicle security

Unfortunately it looks like I have some people in my new neighborhood paying a little too much attention to my auto and for the first time I'm feeling a need to add some security system(s) to old yeller.  I think just a basic remote arm system would do, not interested at all in remote start or unlock.  I'm not familiar with modern alarm systems, but here's what I 'think' I need...

- Door switches for all 5 doors (rear hatch).  Probably a PITA to install but that's only an initial idea.

- 'Bump' alarm (not sure what it would be called) for if a window breaks or if something is jarred

- Geo-location function like a low track or something similar

Additionally I'd like to install possibly 2 start kill switches.  I'm not sure where inline these are normally installed but my impression is that directly in line with the key ignition switch would be common.  But then what if someone jumps the starter with a screwdriver...would this type of switch work in that instance?  So that leads me to the idea of a second ignition kill switch which would either be wired between the battery and starter motor, or between the starter motor and ground.

And last...security lugs.

So am I over thinking this here?  What's your recommendation for what I really need and maybe a good but economic alarm system that can get this done?                    

Perhaps indicate what vehicle you have?  Older, pre-computer vehicles can be started with that screwdriver trick (after also powering other bits, such as the ignition and fuel pump at least, probably other stuff as well), but newer vehicles run by computer, it's much more vehicle specific for getting it going.

I'd seek the opinion/price of a business that specializes in vehicle alarms.  Their product knowledge will be current and they can offer you various levels of protection.  Chances are high that a thief is equipped to outsmart a typical DIY deterrent.   I have a friend who lives in a higher crime area of the city.   Her car was a frequent target for windows  breaking in the night.  She now leaves her glove box door open, console empty and doors unlocked.  She is going on a year now break-in free!  I keep an old steering wheel club handy in case, I feel the need for added security.  It serves as a placebo for my peace of mind when parked in the open in a questionable community. 😉 

My old car is in a two car deep garage with a car in front. It has a alarm. More important it has good insurance on it. Go ahead make my day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

My old car is in a two car deep garage with a car in front. It has a alarm. More important it has good insurance on it. Go ahead make my day.

Haha.  I usually have a plan for what I'd buy next if my truck suddenly became a no fault or no pain insurance write-off.  I'd have no choice but to replace it with a red Silverado Trail Boss or Sierra AT4!  🙂 

• Like 1