In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
BruceK

Engine auto stop

How can I permanently disable engine auto stop?

Yeah, the Range device kills auto-stop AND DFM. And all you have to do is plug it in... a lot easier than the auto-stop eliminator. 

I understand the Auto-Stop is a pain but nothing more than an annoyance than anything and can be disabled by the push of a button. I personally can't see spending $200 to disable it when all I have to do is push a button. Before I installed my Cat-Back I hardly notice it at all. Now that it is installed I only notice it when driving in slow city traffic and/or coming to a stop. The exhaust sounds like the motor actually shuts off then refires when it downshifts into 1st gear. The DFM of course is another matter. I know what the system is there for but wonder what the MPG difference is when it's disabled??

17 minutes ago, Ed/2020RST said:

I know what the system is there for but wonder what the MPG difference is when it's disabled??

About 1 mpg with 75% highway driving.  About 50 gallons/year in my case.  Hypothetically of course. ?

Comes down to 2 options, and if you want to do a very simple plug and play by your knees (more $$) or the plug n play that goes behind the dash, continues to use the button (less $, but requires some labor) 

Anyone here tried the https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/ yet?  The stop/start thing really gets on my nerves as well.  I've also heard of people just leaving their truck in tow/haul mode.  My trailboss has the  'race' mode too but I've not tried it enough to see what it does with the autostop.

13 hours ago, GSC52 said:

Anyone here tried the https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/ yet?  The stop/start thing really gets on my nerves as well.  I've also heard of people just leaving their truck in tow/haul mode.  My trailboss has the  'race' mode too but I've not tried it enough to see what it does with the autostop.

Lots of people running the range device.  You can perform a search on it and see the threads.  Well worth it in my opinion.

Our Sierra, with just 9K miles, has the Auto Stop no longer working. We don't know why, but I don't miss it! My wife asked if we should take it in, and I said, let's wait!

Edited by C Gerber

Engines run forever if they don't get turned off. Semi trucks achieve 1 million miles all the time. Taxi cabs run well into 750K. Starting an engine is when damage occurs. Do you want to do this 20X a day? Also it takes a toll on the starter, flexplate, battery and relays. I bought the range before I took ownership of my truck. IT WORKS ON THE 3.0!!

On 10/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, econometrics said:

Yeah, the Range device kills auto-stop AND DFM. And all you have to do is plug it in... a lot easier than the auto-stop eliminator. 

I can not find in there literature that the one device does both? 

On 11/18/2020 at 12:01 AM, econometrics said:

Thanks gentlemen, this is just what I was looking for! I recently installed a Borla Type S catback exhaust and can really tell when it shuts down 4 cylinders. I have the auto stop off switch, but this is a nice perk to not have to touch that every drive too!

• Like 1