Oh-No!!! My 2020 350 Mile 5.3 Went Kaboom

Yesterday my BRAND NEW 350 mile 2020 Silverado died, luckily only 3 houses from my driveway.  The engine was clanking and banging loudly enough that I suspect major damage like a rod bearing or valve drop.   OnStar obtained a tow to the dealership but they won't touch the truck until Monday which is four days from now.  We're tooling around in a nice SUV Chevy loaner until my truck is fixed.  My first question is whether others have experienced similar problems with the 5.3 and second, will an engine replacement qualify me for a buy back? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.  Thank You

It can happen to any engine, from any manufacturer.

Fortunately it's not common. (clearly, manufacturers can't afford to be replacing/rebuilding engines on every vehicle...)

Sucks when it's your new ride to not be running it. 

Warranty doesn't say anything about a buy-back.

They'll repair or replace the engine, depending on how much damage and if also depending on if GM wants it back for tear-down. 

Despite the annoying start, it'll probably turn out to be one of your favorite trucks.  

Those that study failures would call it a classic 'infant mortality' failure.

• Like 1

Time to check your state's buy back laws.  With the current shortage of parts your truck may be out of service for a while. In some states after 30 days they are required to do a buy back.

My 2018 got towed 3 times for the exact same no start issue. First at 243 miles, next around 3,500 miles, and then at 35,000 miles. I traded it in and lost my rear end because I had no confidence in the truck anymore. The day I picked up my 2020 the service department called to tell me the ECM was was bad and replaced in the 2018 and the truck was good to go. It went home with it's new owner.

They will fix the known issue and you'll have your truck back soon, enjoy your SUV until you get your truck back. The same issue is happening to C8 Corvette's, you aren't alone.

I was at my dealer yesterday on a unrelated Silverado issue and the service Manager bought a brand new Silverado, same issue, Died at 385 miles, they fixed it and no issues since. It's really not a big deal besides the inconvenience. 

7 hours ago, redwngr said:

It can happen to any engine, from any manufacturer.

Fortunately it's not common. (clearly, manufacturers can't afford to be replacing/rebuilding engines on every vehicle...)

Sucks when it's your new ride to not be running it. 

Warranty doesn't say anything about a buy-back.

They'll repair or replace the engine, depending on how much damage and if also depending on if GM wants it back for tear-down. 

Despite the annoying start, it'll probably turn out to be one of your favorite trucks.  

Those that study failures would call it a classic 'infant mortality' failure.

Some more than others it seems and I'm starting to see a pattern.

subscribed . I just purchased a 2020 and had the dead battery issue at 120 miles the dealer replaced the battery stating the vehicle sat on the lot for 4 months with not being started. I hope my valves hold up now confidence is a little shaken in my new ride. OP pleas keep us informed on what they find out with your new ride. I hate that happened to you.. Good luck

3 minutes ago, puppykat33 said:

subscribed . I just purchased a 2020 and had the dead battery issue at 120 miles the dealer replaced the battery stating the vehicle sat on the lot for 4 months with not being started. I hope my valves hold up now confidence is a little shaken in my new ride. OP pleas keep us informed on what they find out with your new ride. I hate that happened to you.. Good luck

Will do.