In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Mac-427

Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel on a Custom

On 11/19/2020 at 7:20 AM, Hotwheel said:

Happy with the wheel swap, now on to my next project, figuring out how to put the chrome trim around the gauges, anyone done that?

IMG_20201114_081720023_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201114_095603080_HDR.jpg

What part numbers did you use?

• Like 1

Got mine coming in Friday. Did you guys bother with disconnecting the battery and/or crash sensors? What was total install time?

I disconnected the negative battery terminal with a ten millimeter deep well socket.  Very easy to reach.  I waited a few minutes prior to starting the project.  Didn't even lose my radio pre-sets.  I used the following part numbers:  84646079 Steering Wheel and 84649074 Trim Cover.

Edited by Mac-427
  • Like 2

On 11/24/2020 at 8:09 PM, Shoup1cobra said:

Got mine coming in Friday. Did you guys bother with disconnecting the battery and/or crash sensors? What was total install time?

Damn dealer changed the part number to the vinyl POS that is already in my truck and didn't notify me that they made the change. Talk about disappointment when I opened the box today. ?

On 11/18/2020 at 7:51 AM, Mac-427 said:

Below are the parts I have on order and will report results after I install them.  Although the trim cover is not essential, I wanted the silver trim for a nicer look.

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
84646079 Steering Wheel $173.79 1 $173.79
84649074 Trim Cover $32.09 1 $32.09

Just a heads up for anyone doing this down the road. GM parts store changed the part# of the steering wheel to 84813359. This has the atmosphere trim cover already and comes with all the buttons (paddles, cluster menu) included for same price. Good thing I bought the trim cover listed as well because I hate the atmosphere color.

if anyone needs an extra atmosphere trim cover just lmk and can sell for cheap 

very nice!

keep up the custom mods, getting ready to trade in my ZR2 for a custom

Update, looks like my impact (Ryobi) doesn't have enough ass to it. Guess it's off to the dealer I go to have them install. Tried heat gun, breaker bar, etc. Couldn't get it to budge and worried about stripping it out or worse.

:(

37 minutes ago, Goobax said:

Update, looks like my impact (Ryobi) doesn't have enough ass to it. Guess it's off to the dealer I go to have them install. Tried heat gun, breaker bar, etc. Couldn't get it to budge and worried about stripping it out or worse.

:(

You might consider a corded impact like this one on Amazon.  75 bucks for it and you'll have an additional tool rather than throwing money away at the dealer.

https://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-PCE211-7-5-Impact-Wrench/dp/B07255QCN4 

It should have plenty of power to loosen the steering wheel retention bolt.  Just be sure and bump it multiple times rather than hammering away and make sure your Torx bit is a T-50 rather than a T-45 that looks like it will fit but will strip.

Edited by Mac-427

3/8" breaker bar BEHIND the steering wheel rim worked for me. You are overcoming a little bit of threadlocker, so it takes a little muscle.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:48 PM, Mac-427 said:

I do find it perplexing that GM chooses not to put steering wheel controls or high intensity headlights on the Silverado Custom, or Work models as they are safety features.  Even so, my Custom 5.3 is a very nice truck, especially since it has Katzkin leather heated seats, Satellite radio and the trailer package.  I've also installed LED headlights.  The leather wrapped steering wheel will make my truck even nicer and even with my mods,  it is still substantially less expensive than the the up models.

The option code for steering wheel controls on a WT, Custom or Custom TB is  UK3   

It is Included and only available with (RGE) Safety Confidence Package.  

So if it is desired, it is available that way. 

• Like 1

Yes! Super easy mod.  Installed mine yesterday.  Youll want an impact as noted they do loctite the 50 mm torx. (Counterclockwise to release)  Remove 2 rear steering wheel plastic covers on back of steering wheel.  Remove 2 10mm bolts which release the air bag.  Lift up on little yellow tabs both connectors gently release, release red slide clip on black connector and w light down pressure on clip it will release.  Don’t force any clips apart!  As noted above mine was slightly off but with the electric steering it self corrected to straight when driven from what I can tell.  ALSO!  Make sure to unhook the battery and turn on headlights or push horn to ensure all juice is expended for safety when working with the air bag.  
It is a great easy mod and I think it is more perplexing that they didn’t provide a center console that opens vs. a plastic wheel!

mods so far:

center console

leather steering wheel

amp steps

oem rear wheel liners 

z71 badges 

color matched door handles 

all for a fraction of what gm would charge

can order any parts for anyone as well just let me know ?

On 11/23/2020 at 6:35 AM, Mac-427 said:

The center bolt takes a Torx T50.  I used an impact wrench to loosen it as it was secured with blue Loctite.  You might have to heat it if you don't have an impact wrench.  If you employ an impact wrench, loosen the bolt in small increments at the lowest setting that works or you'll twist the Torx socket making it unusable.

How do you get to the Torx T-50?  Do you have to take the airbag off?  Is that hard?  Any issues with the clock spring?

2 hours ago, 0REDSOX7 said:

How do you get to the Torx T-50?  Do you have to take the airbag off?  Is that hard?  Any issues with the clock spring?

Yes, the air bag must be removed.  There are plenty of videos that show how that is done.  Just be sure and disconnect the battery before removal.  After the air bag is removed you'll see the Torx bolt.

This is another cheap way $17. I am pretty happy with it. 

downsized-IMG_5972.jpg

downsized-IMG_5975.PNG

downsized-IMG_5974.jpg

downsized-IMG_5973.jpg

downsized-IMG_5971.jpg

Edited by Interleukin6