Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rook126

Hellwig Rear Sway Bar On 2020 Sierra Denali

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, wewhit said:

I had one of these installed on my lowered '19 High Country and it made a huge difference in body roll.  I traded that truck for a '21 High Country 3.0 Diesel with Adaptive Ride Control and plan to install one on this truck as well.  I am glad to see that it worked well on ARC trucks, too!

Although this sway bar was a litter pricier than most, it was the best upgrade I have done so far and well worth the money. You will notice the improvement immediately and enjoy driving your truck even more. I recall being a little disappointed with the amount body roll it had when I first bought my truck but now it corners so much better. Enjoy your upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to install the Hellwig 7781 front sway bar as well on my 2021 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Short Bed.  Not as big as an improvement compared to adding the rear sway bar, but still very significant.  Since it's cheaper that makes it a worthwhile investment.  Also much easier to install since there already is a sway bar there.  

 

Now you can really tell the all-terrain tires are the weak link. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rear sway bars make a big difference when towing a trailer or hauling heavy loads in the bed of your truck.  My F250 has the "camper package" which includes stiffer springs and a factory installed rear sway bar and it is a night and day difference when towing a trailer or carrying a heavy load in the bed.  The truck rides flat and true through the turns and doesn't give you that "oh ******" feeling you would normally get when you turn and it feels like an ocean liner about to tip over. :)

 

I'm glad to hear the sway bar additions have worked for y'all, but I am curious since my 2020 Z71 has never felt like it leaned much in the turns.  My aftermarket springs and shocks may have removed most of the sway and I just don't remember, who knows, but I'm glad y'all have found solutions to your issues.   For you sport truck enthusiast, I'd be curious to know what the results would show on a figure 8 test pad.

Edited by Gangly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gangly said:

My aftermarket springs and shocks may have removed most of the sway

Exactly.  You can run stiffer springs and shocks to control body roll at the expense of ride quality.  My Silverado 2500 HD had very little body roll because it was sprung for heavy loads.  My Silverado 1500 with softer springs and upgraded sway bars has very little body roll now too, and it rides much better than my Silverado 2500 HD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this delete ARC in the rear ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the sway only an issue on the trucks with the adaptive ride control? I have not noticed it much in mine, I mean it doesn't handle like my old Grand cherokee but its a truck....Mine is the 6.2 with max tow so mine might already sprung a little stiffer  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greyhound6.2 said:

Is the sway only an issue on the trucks with the adaptive ride control? I have not noticed it much in mine, I mean it doesn't handle like my old Grand cherokee but its a truck....Mine is the 6.2 with max tow so mine might already sprung a little stiffer  

 

If you are satisfied with your existing amount of sway, you may not want an aftermarket sway bar. Your driving style may not require it either. 
 

My truck has the ARC and Max Tow Package. My ride comfort didn’t change and it doesn’t seem to compromise the ARC system at all. I feel the rear sway bar made an improvement that was most noticeable for the investment. It added more confidence in cornering and evasive maneuvers if necessary.  On and off ramps are easier at normal speeds because there is less leaning going on.
 

If you do decide to go with a sway bar, take note that there are two different kits. One for the standard height trucks and another for the higher AT4s with the 2” lift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rook126 said:

If you are satisfied with your existing amount of sway, you may not want an aftermarket sway bar. Your driving style may not require it either. 
 

My truck has the ARC and Max Tow Package. My ride comfort didn’t change and it doesn’t seem to compromise the ARC system at all. I feel the rear sway bar made an improvement that was most noticeable for the investment. It added more confidence in cornering and evasive maneuvers if necessary.  On and off ramps are easier at normal speeds because there is less leaning going on.
 

If you do decide to go with a sway bar, take note that there are two different kits. One for the standard height trucks and another for the higher AT4s with the 2” lift. 

For uh educational purposes.....I pushed it in to a couple cloverleaf on/offramps and 40-42 is about all i can do comfortably the back still feels reasonably planted but I could be on the edge of traction I am not in the habit of pushing it in the truck so I don't have a great feel for it, however  there is allot of body roll toward the front driver wheel. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greyhound6.2 said:

For uh educational purposes.....I pushed it in to a couple cloverleaf on/offramps and 40-42 is about all i can do comfortably the back still feels reasonably planted but I could be on the edge of traction I am not in the habit of pushing it in the truck so I don't have a great feel for it, however  there is allot of body roll toward the front driver wheel. 

 

Yes, the rear sway bar prevents a lot of that front end dip and body roll around the ramps and it makes it seem like all four tires are planted more equally. I only added the rear Hellwig and there's a factory bar already on the front. Traction still feels balanced, no noticeable oversteer or understeer around a quick corner under acceleration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this something the dealer could install?  I’m concerned that if things need taken apart to get this installed, they might not be put back correctly and I’d rather deal with the dealer.

 

Also, assuming it’s a no go at the dealer, is there any concern that this will void any part of the warranty, like the ARC?  That would be too expensive to risk.

 

I’m with you though, this thing (Denali) is a boat around the curves and sport mode doesn’t help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

Is this something the dealer could install?  I’m concerned that if things need taken apart to get this installed, they might not be put back correctly and I’d rather deal with the dealer.

 

Also, assuming it’s a no go at the dealer, is there any concern that this will void any part of the warranty, like the ARC?  That would be too expensive to risk.

 

I’m with you though, this thing (Denali) is a boat around the curves and sport mode doesn’t help.  

I don't think a dealer will touch it because it is not an accessory provided by GM or dealerships.

I installed it myself and I don't recall having to take anything apart during the install. You just mount the hardware to the vehicle in certain locations.

So far I can't see any reason a sway bar could be detrimental to the ARC or would void your warranty. GM chose not to include a rear sway bar on their 1500 trucks (probably to save cost) but I notice that all of the recent Tahoes come with rear sway bars. I had a 2017 and a 2020 Tahoe with factory rear sway bars and both of them handled corners with a lot less sway much better than my brand new 2020 Sierra Denali before I added the Hellwig to the rear.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.