A mysterious woob woob sound at 30 to 50 PMH

As it is with many of the mysterious noises, wobbles, hippy-hippy shakes, hiccups and burps any given Silverado can make, the first challenge to troubleshoot is finding the best words to describe the sound. My old 2015 1500 had the steering shake. My current 2018 2500HD was fine for 2 years and 19,000 miles when 2 weeks ago it presented an incredibly disturbing new noise.

I searched and searched for whirring, pulsing, rotational noise, whining, knocking, hammering to no avail. Until I found a thread on this forum that used the words “woob woob”. As soon as I saw those words I thought, “that’s the sound my truck is making.”

Starting at 30 miles per hour, peaking at around 45mph, disappearing between 55 and 65 then reappearing at 65 to 70, my truck exhibits a pulsing, rotational, acceleration dependent, transmission engaged, woob woob sound that at times becomes almost a knocking or hammering.

I do not think it has anything to do with the wheels. Comes and goes with the accelerator and, at times, when engine braking kicks in. As a test I produced the sound going down a hill steep enough to maintain speed as I put the trans in neutral. Like a light switch, the sound completely disappeared.

So it’s likely something in and around the transmission. I brought it in to my dealer. When he called yesterday I readied myself to hear the horrible news “sorry sir we were not able to reproduce the problem”. But as the sweat began to come out my pores, the service tech advised that they did in fact hear the sound, they consider it a problem and need a few more days for their transmission tech to figure out what's wrong. WHEW! Happy I got past the first goalie.

I figured I would post this and report back as things progress, hopefully to a complete solution. I love my Silverado. But when it comes to mysterious noises on our beloved GM trucks, the road to remedy can be like convincing someone you saw a UFO.

Edited by JamGear

My truck has been at the dealer for a week. Though they still do not know what is wrong, they have isolated it to the rear end. Tomorrow they are taking the rear apart to find the failed component producing the sound. 

Hopefully I will have an answer this week. 

Picked up my truck last night. The noise came from a failed driver side rear differential carrier bearing. I wonder why it failed? Is this a wearable part? I tow a 5th wheel RV. I wonder if towing heavy can produce stress and wear? Or, I truly had a defective bearing from day one?

As I read up on this particular repair, most techs advised it was a good idea to replace the pinion and passenger side carrier bearings since they are only $40 a each and would not have required much more labor. I would have certainly paid a couple hundred more to have them replace all the bearings. Apparently bad bearings can produce metal shavings that could remain in the fluid or in the other bearings.

Nevertheless, I am very pleased to have this issue resolved. Boy what a difference.