GearOn Tiered Storage Cross Rail

ST3

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2020 at 7:45 AM, ST3 said:

Can you post photos???

I can't find actual photos anywhere, and they're not cheap! 

Good system, but I also found little info. Found mine on eBay from dealer close out. Works great for mounting Thule upride bike rack.

227DBF6E-D311-4C77-AF46-0C95FCC87992.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 10:52 PM, James Euler said:

Good system, but I also found little info. Found mine on eBay from dealer close out. Works great for mounting Thule upride bike rack.

227DBF6E-D311-4C77-AF46-0C95FCC87992.jpeg

Is the bike rack mounted in the slot of the cross rail? Most of pics I've seen show the 2 bolt mount under cross rail or squarebar adapter from Thule.

84065979-1-CHE.jpg

31KJxY51ugL._AC_SX450_.jpg

Edited by RedHot6.2

6 hours ago, RedHot6.2 said:

Is the bike rack mounted in the slot of the cross rail? Most of pics I've seen show the 2 bolt mount under cross rail or squarebar adapter from Thule.

84065979-1-CHE.jpg

31KJxY51ugL._AC_SX450_.jpg

Yes, I used t-bolts engaged in the slots of the cross bars. Neither of those clamps included with the Thule bike rack were large enough to fasten around the GearOn rails, which have a pretty beefy square profile. And I had to grind down two sides of the square heads of the t-bolts that came with the Thule UpRider rack, to fit them into the slots.

Near as I have been able to deduce, GearOn was rather ill-fated partnership between GM and Thule, with just enough influence from GM to make the system somewhat incompatible with most of Thule's regular line of stuff.

But those crossbars themselves are pretty cool; very slick system to quickly attach/detach from the GM accessory tie-down loops (which are also quick to install/remove), and the bars are heck of stout. I can sit my 200-lb+ carcass on the middle of one with no visible flex at all.

So it was worth the slight trouble for me to conform the UpRider bike rack to the GearOn crossbars.

9 hours ago, RedHot6.2 said:

Thanks. Wondered why they have the slot in the top of cross rail but I can't seem to find any gearon accessories that seem to utilize them. 

Try the aftermarket mount companies for t-slot mounts, like RockyMounts or Yakima. 

On 2/4/2021 at 2:18 PM, James Euler said:

Near as I have been able to deduce, GearOn was rather ill-fated partnership between GM and Thule, with just enough influence from GM to make the system somewhat incompatible with most of Thule's regular line of stuff.

But those crossbars themselves are pretty cool; very slick system to quickly attach/detach from the GM accessory tie-down loops (which are also quick to install/remove), and the bars are heck of stout. I can sit my 200-lb+ carcass on the middle of one with no visible flex at all.

So it was worth the slight trouble for me to conform the UpRider bike rack to the GearOn crossbars.

Thanks. I picked up 2 of the Thule Proride 598 racks for $100 from craigslist the other day. Once I can find a good deal on the gearon cross rails I'll be able to check the dimensions of the t slots in them. Can't find an end view with dimensions anywhere. Seems like someone could make some money making items that would fit those cross rails since GM and Thule didn't do much with them. 

7 hours ago, RedHot6.2 said:

Thanks. I picked up 2 of the Thule Proride 598 racks for $100 from craigslist the other day. Once I can find a good deal on the gearon cross rails I'll be able to check the dimensions of the t slots in them. Can't find an end view with dimensions anywhere. Seems like someone could make some money making items that would fit those cross rails since GM and Thule didn't do much with them. 

The slot in the cross rail is 15mm at the wide part, 10mm at the slot itself, and about 5mm deep.

The Thule standard T-bolts will work, if you grind the head down to 15mm in one dimension (they are about 20mm square).

Let me know if you need more detail. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 12:39 PM, RedHot6.2 said:

Way off topic, what "model" is your 15 C7? Have you posted any pictures, love the C6 and C7's, just saw my first C8 up close a week ago.

Just found out a neighbor down the street has a white C7 tucked away in his garage, will have to stop by and look at it up close.

16 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Way off topic, what "model" is your 15 C7? Have you posted any pictures, love the C6 and C7's, just saw my first C8 up close a week ago.

Just found out a neighbor down the street has a white C7 tucked away in his garage, will have to stop by and look at it up close.

Stingray, Z51 package, 7 speed manual. Replaced the chrome badges last year with the carbon flash ones (2nd pic)

671.jpeg

20190622_174108.jpg

Edited by RedHot6.2
  • Like 1