Consumer Report - Least reliable vehicle

Jason_

I think this guy breaks down the CR bulletin well: https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2020/12/consumer-reports-2021-least-reliable-full-size-trucks/ 

Like him, I read that report and felt like it was lazy. It's an AVERAGE of 200-300 responses per vehicle model. It really only takes a handful of people with cynical experiences with any model to skew data like that. 

Also, the specific problem areas CR cites are odd to me. Infotainment issues, really? I have had zero. This version of GM's Infotainment is excellent, IMO. Best UI of any car system I've used. 

The brakes, too? I know some people have had those issues (as we have a lengthy thread on this here forum), but it seems to be a small minority. The rest of us are overwhelmingly pleased with the brakes. They are a great improvement over the previous gen of trucks. 

And lastly, the transmission. Sure, the A8 has some harsh shifts. But there is the excellent A10 as well. It's weird that CR does not delineate there. 

On 12/2/2020 at 2:33 PM, Jav_eee said:

They recently released a TSB about the bright screen. It’s just a reprogram to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 12/2/2020 at 9:55 PM, Moend said:

Actually, it started when I was reading somewhere on the forum about the backup camera and someone mentioned the dealer fixed it and they have a TSB - went to the dealership and told them to fix and the rest is history. Way better now. It is not as great in the day time but that is better than being blinded at night.

Have a link or the TSB number? And does this, by any chance, fix the horrible washed out Apple CarPlay?

Edited by 2020SilveradoCC

1 hour ago, 2020SilveradoCC said:

Have a link or the TSB number? And does this, by any chance, fix the horrible washed out Apple CarPlay?

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/forum/236-2019-2020-silverado-sierra/

There is the link where you will find everything. I don't have an iPhone but it made bluetooth connection kind of wonky. Really slow to connect on start up and yesterday it says I was connected but I was unable to stream music or make phone calls. AC/DC was on the radio so all is good.

3 hours ago, diyer2 said:

We all have opinions, right.

IMO no one makes a vehicle worth $60K. 

Electric/batteries are for flash lights.

True but I think electric car are more superior. Would i buy one? Hell no. Not with the anorixic infrastructure and low ranges and the prices. The consept is really great most of the energy goes to your wheals vs heat. And the flatish curve of power delivery is just so good. It is great but

On 12/4/2020 at 9:56 AM, Moend said:

True but I think electric car are more superior. Would i buy one? Hell no. Not with the anorixic infrastructure and low ranges and the prices. The consept is really great most of the energy goes to your wheals vs heat. And the flatish curve of power delivery is just so good. It is great but

what makes the Tesla superior is torque. Auto makers use to produce big motors before the 70's that made torque like the Tesla. i dont think the public cares about the energy efficiency, judging by the way we drive on the highways. i find new cars have very low torque and high Horsepower. this contributes to the stressfull driving experience on our roads.  dont believe me go drive a vintage Caprice with a 454 or 396. with highway gears, man talk about relaxing commuter!

Edited by flyingfool
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2019 RST and am very disappointed with the reliability. It has only 4,500 miles, I drive other cars just to avoid it now.

Of about 14 new cars I've bought, the SIlverado is the worst.

At the same time, it gets a better reliability score from cars.com....

image.thumb.png.d8df0e2800d56f38679ab61a932314c4.png

20 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I have a 2019 RST and am very disappointed with the reliability. It has only 4,500 miles, I drive other cars just to avoid it now.

Of about 14 new cars I've bought, the SIlverado is the worst.

At the same time, it gets a better reliability score from cars.com....

image.thumb.png.d8df0e2800d56f38679ab61a932314c4.png

I have a 2019 High Country and absolutely love it. No real issues with it. Had the window leak right away. Dealership took care of it right away. 11k miles on it now and it’s been great. The only other issue with the High Country is the bronze on the grill is flaking off. Dealership ordered me a new one and it should be here tomorrow or Tuesday

What issues have u had to make u not like it 

also I spoke to my buddy who owns the new Ram and his truck has the same rear brake squeak as our trucks. Thought that was interesting. 

Edited by TNTSilverado

The squeak and the leak is all that bugs me anymore. 

If you asked me at any time during the first 3 months of 2019, I would definitely tell you it was the worst, least dependable vehicle I’ve ever owned. The glitches were almost unbearable. Trailer disconnected alerts literally every 5 seconds in cold weather, tons of infotainment bugs, “service steering column lock”, brake loss, flashing check engine lights.

These were really a leapfrog design, it may have been rushed to market, and it definitely took a lot of refining. But I think they are damn good now. And they will unbeatable in 2022 after further refinements.

I had the same trailer disconnected issues on my 2017, that drove me nuts. Knocks on wood, my 2021 is solid so far, other than the software issues that almost every other 2021 owner has with the infotainment/app market which isn’t a big deal for me since I never use those.

2 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

I have a 2019 High Country and absolutely love it. No real issues with it. Had the window leak right away. Dealership took care of it right away. 11k miles on it now and it’s been great. The only other issue with the High Country is the bronze on the grill is flaking off. Dealership ordered me a new one and it should be here tomorrow or Tuesday

What issues have u had to make u not like it 

also I spoke to my buddy who owns the new Ram and his truck has the same rear brake squeak as our trucks. Thought that was interesting. 

Handling issues (but I didn't mention it because it's not a "defect", the back fishtails wildly, far more than I'd like even though I've been driving on that same dirt road for over 20 years with different trucks and SUVs.

Had the window leak fixed, then the leak under the antenna, on top of that, a lot more recalls than I'd like, as of now, auto start stopped working (not that I don't mind, but a 200 mile trip about three months ago didn't do the trick) and the button to release the tailgate works intermittently (both key and dash), the loud and hard thud in cold mornings (now I start it from a distance walking towards it), etc. I'm not a picky customer but I am not impressed.

On the plus side, I like how the front end handles far better than my other trucks. Gas mileage is very impressive when going 65 on a flat surface. The uhh.. short bed (I think) fits me diagonally while the Ford's short bed was way smaller for me.