Towing a 30+ foot travel trailer?

R J

17 minutes ago, R J said:

Hey everyone,

I have a 2020 5.3 6 speed Trail Boss. I want to buy a local travel trailer that is 32 feet long (overall length) and 5100 lb dry weight. Will this be okay to tow for camping trips 3-4 times a year?

Should be fine.  Ensure you have an appropriate weight-distribution hitch with a sway bar on it, integrated sway control is best I believe.  Make sure the electronic sway control on your truck is active too.

Longer wheelbase allows for better control of longer trailers.  If you have the crew cab w/5ft bed, you should be fine.

2500/3500 HDs with the 6ft bed enable them to tow longer trailers, but 32 ft is fine.  35ft and over is where I would draw the line.

See if they will let you take it for a test pull.  If the truck doesn't like it or you are not comfortable with it, then you'll know to downsize some.

I have been towing my travel trailer that is about 38' tongue to bumper and about 9100 LBS with my '17 Sierra 5.3L All Terrain. It is completely worth it to spend the money for a high quality weight distribution hitch that includes sway control (I have a 12000LB rated Husky Center Line TS). I've driven through storm, wind and rain just fine with hardly anything I'd call a white-knuckle experience. My personal experience might not match others.

This year I purchased a 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L with Max Tow. It is more than capable of taking over the duties of towing the trailer for my use, which is not as often, like yours.

I've seen these kinds of threads on truck forums and travel trailer forums alike. Everyone is going to have an opinion and it's usually pretty split. For 3-4 camping trips a year? I'd say no sweat at all.

19 minutes ago, Unique_NY said:

I've seen these kinds of threads on truck forums and travel trailer forums alike. Everyone is going to have an opinion and it's usually pretty split. 

Yup.  Everyone has a different threshold and tolerance for white knuckles.  I'd personally want a 3/4 ton for that size trailer.  But I also know folks who wouldn't blink and would hitch up and go with a 1/2 ton.  

I tow a 23’ that weighs 6k loaded, with my 19 crew cab, short box.  95% of the time it’s great, I have a weight distribution hitch with integrated sway control, the other 5% I wish I had gone 3/4 ton.  Not that it’s unsafe, just have to give it 110% of my focus and slow it down more than usual.  I think ultimately it’s what your comfort and experience levels are.  

https://timbren.com/i-30497770-timbren-ses-suspension-enhancement-system-sku-gmrck15s-rear-kit.html#!year%3D2020||make%3DCHEVROLET||model%3DSILVERADO 1500||submodel%3D4WD STANDARD SUSPENSION

Use these. Your truck is rated to pull 9500lbs. If your pulling a 5100 dry with water and gear you'll be at 7500lbs. Well under the truck's rating. Especially if you're only going to be doing 4-6 trips a year. Also use a good weight distribution system. 2500 is definitely better to pull with, but you're well within in your limits, unless you want to drive a 2500 all the time as your daily.

I use these in my 2019 Trail Boss 5.3 8 speed  and pull a 28' toy hauler with a 4seat rzr1000 with water & gas. Flat & up hill 55-65mph, downhill I keep it to 50mph for control. Like one of the previous guys said, depends on your comfort and experience level. Go on a few short easy trips first, before you head out on a journey. Good luck

20200419_143358.jpg

Edited by Baja24

There is a lot of good inputs from others and here is my 0.02

I have a very similar setup 2019 crew cab, 4wd short bed, and 5.3 8spd. a 27' camper -> 30' bumper to nose 5750lbs dry. I had to pick it up 2 hours away from home, with only me and my 12yo son in the truck it was a very scary ride home – all back road couldn’t go faster than 50mph (mostly 40-45) on 60-65mph roads. The power was alright definitely can get up to speed.

Consider the following:

Weight distribution hitch: with the weight distribution hitch I can say I am comfortable going 55-60mph on a calm day. Small cars passing me caused the truck to wiggle a bit. Also, truck manufacturer requires you to have a WDH on anything above 5000lbs on ½ ton.

Payload: my truck is rated at 1900lbs with my family of 5 weighing in at 900lbs before breakfast, have about ~900lbs tongue weight (7000lbs loaded * %12.5) so if you do the math we can only pack about 100lbs in the bed – that is not a lot when you are going camping between firewood, food, gas cans, suit cases, and so on. (I would load as much as possible in the trailer).

Lots of pit stops: averaging ~9mpg that is about 200miles between fill up – I take 5gal gas can just in case.

My personal preference I would go smaller if I can, pulling 30+ TT with half ton is a lot of work, the engine can do it, but stability is going to be a challenge.

IMG_20200904_131002.thumb.jpg.e601c11a7cb72b814e16241a79d498be.jpg

After many years of driving trucks for work. They are sails empty. Dually’s are more planted. Theres nothing easy about pulling a camper. I spent many years doing it. Choose wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trucks are tow-rated based on weight, but not all weight is the same.  The Spinnaker on our 26 foot sail boat didn't weigh much but it could pull the bow of the boat under water when it started blowing.  A travel trailer more resembles a sail than a flatbed or dump trailer hauling bricks.  I personally look at the surface area of the trailer in conjunction with the weight when I am judging what I want to use to tow it.