Factory Order vs Dealer Lot

On 12/5/2020 at 4:46 AM, J-man67 said:

Why don't you want the rear slider? Im trying to find a truck with one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

i have a 2020 with rear slider so far so good .....6 months and plenty of water has been thrown on it so maybe just lucky idk and i did know bout this issue b4 i purchased it but wasnt horribly concerned......usually had good luck with new vehicles and even the 8 spd in my 2019 RST worked fine and there are ton of problems with those as well

On 12/5/2020 at 6:46 AM, J-man67 said:

Why don't you want the rear slider? Im trying to find a truck with one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I’ve seen many on two of the largest GMC dealership inventory Laura GMC and Everett GMC. They seem to have a nice selection with more on the way. By the way I was trying to avoid the slider after reading the 175 pages on this Forum of all the leaking issues. 

Edited by D A
Incorrect spelling

Every time I would try to order the lot deal would be so much better. I would usually buy a different truck than I originally planned. The sliding window was never a problem. I never opened it. Same as the sun roof. If it did I would seal it and forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Every time I would try to order the lot deal would be so much better.

This is the dealership trying to move vehicles off the lot that they are paying finance fees on.  They can do the same deal with an ordered vehicle if they want the sale.  Dealers will discourage orders because they have to wait for the sale rather than closing now.  One thing to keep in mind is how GM pays the dealership for a sale.  They have targets that GM sets with incentives for meeting and exceeding it.  If I buy from the lot I will do it the last 3-5 days of the month because they are trying to maximize that months numbers and if they are short they get generous with trade-in values and incentives.  They do have money they can throw at a sale that isn't an advertised incentive.

• Like 2

I prefer buying off the lot and believe I can get a better price than ordering a new build.   I also put a big price on the 6+ weeks of anxiety waiting for an order to arrive!   (Waiting for my Amazon prime orders frustrates me!) I actually like trying new things.  Features I think I want or don't want are often changed.  For example, my current truck came with rear sensors and camera.  I thought this was a terrible waste as I've owned a 1/2 ton for over 40 years.  I can park it easily myself.  After being forced into this feature, my next truck will have 360 viewing!   I also wanted a sliding rear window based on my previous trucks.  Now I don't care if my next truck has one because my fond memories were based on trucks with heaters only. Now you can't buy a truck without AC!  I would look for a truck that is on or near your dealer's lot.  

I buy off the lot. You just lose too many positions of strength when you order one. I mean, they know it's exactly what ya want and they are the only dealer who has it. Much prefer to find reasons to go a little cold on trucks, get quotes from other dealers, and at least give the illusion I'm gonna walk. Best deal I ever got was on my 2016. Bought it in August of 16 when it had been on the lot since March and they were in bad way with it. Wasn't the truck of my dreams but I liked it just fine and did great with it when it was time to move on.

As far as the window, there's very few HDs with reports of leaks. It could be because the HD structure is more robust and doesn't allow the cab flex as much. It could also just be because they are less popular; made in fewer numbers and for one less model year than the 1500.

On 12/13/2020 at 7:15 AM, diyer2 said:

Posted this before. 

As maynard9289 says buying the last of the month can help.

I used to know 3 car salesmen and they all said this.

I bought my truck on April 31st, and year b4 on July 31st.....got great deal on both, idk if it would have changed whole lot....they seemed pretty eager though

I order, but without any deposit or signed agreement. Some dealers won't do that. Some dealers want a 'guarantee' of purchase, but won't give the same guarantee on the trade value (WTF?  who's the one that is supposed to have the knowledge of the auto market?)

Dealer I use knows I'm serious if I'm doing that exercise. 

So far, we've always been able to come to an agreement.  They always tell me that what I order is something that they can easily sell or dealer trade, so that have no issue getting one in.  Yes, they always do a search and try and find the same/similar in district inventory.

NEW STORY TODAY....

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/12/chevy-silverado-1500-december-discounts-can-be-locked-in-for-new-orders/

Chevy Silverado 1500 December Discounts Can Be Locked In For New Order

New Chevy Silverado 1500 orders placed this month can lock in December 2020 incentives, regardless of when the customer takes delivery.

To help explain why this is such a big deal, let’s first dive into how orders and incentives usually work. Traditionally, if a customer walks into a dealer and places a new order, they don’t know what incentives will be available upon taking delivery. While the model they’re looking at might offer incentives during the month in which their new order is placed, those incentives could go away by the time the vehicle is produced and delivered.

This can be a major sticking point for customers. Production of their new vehicle can take months, and given just how cumbersome and vague GM vehicle tracking can be (as GM Authority covered previously), it’s uncertain when their new vehicle might arrive, let alone what incentives may be offered by the time they go to take delivery.

Will the incentives be better or worse than when they placed their original order? This critical information is simply not known.

However, the 2021 Chevy Silverado is a complete break from this. As GM Authority has learned, new Chevy Silverado 1500 orders placed in the month of December, 2020, offer the option to lock in December incentives.

This is basically unheard of. It’s possible the break from tradition is a reflection of low dealer inventory, which has resulted in a flurry of new vehicle orders.

Alternatively, buyers can elect to take the incentives offered on their new 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 when they take delivery, whatever they may be, giving them further options to save.

The option to lock in the December incentives on new vehicle orders is currently only available for the 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500. It’s uncertain if the option to lock in incentives will be available for new orders placed in January or any month thereafter. As a reminder, new sold retail orders (SROs) on Silverado 1500 models are limited to the Crew Cab configuration through Q1 2021 production.

This is good news for anyone looking to order a new Chevy Silverado 1500, especially considering the “employee pricing” incentive currently available, as well as any other incentives that that could be available, depending on the model selected. Note that the finance rate is not lockable.

Subscribe to GM Authority for more Chevrolet Silverado news, Chevrolet news, and around-the-clock GM newscoverage.

Update on ordering: 

Went to my local GMC dealer to order 2021 2500 HD. Told salesman what I wanted to order and salesman said he’d order it without any deposit. Salesman fist bumped (COVID precautions) me and said he’d print out my order form and call me later. I sent another email asking for update as he never called. I waited for him three days (never called back) so then decided to drive to closest city with a different GMC dealer. 

This different dealer wants $1,000 nonrefundable deposit. Gave him my order form and I was told he was aware of some of my items/options were on national backorder (painted wheel opening moldings, chrome rims, exhaust). GM will not accept order unless they have the parts to build truck so no guarantee of when truck would/could be built. Dealer suggested I make order without these options then just order them when available from the Parts Department.

So what’s the point of special ordering a new truck if I can’t get the options I’m seeking? I might as well take one off the lot then order my options/parts from Service. I guess I was surprised to learn I was planning to spend over 70K on a truck and could not get what I wanted. I saw the order sheets of dozens and dozens of new trucks the dealer has ordered, so once GM starts building and shipping I expect the lots to fill up with a nice supply of trucks. 

Thanks again for the input.  

With the HD trucks it’s not a bad idea to order them.  Need snowplow or hd front springs for a bumper?  Gooseneck?  Vinyl seats?  Cab clearance lights?  Gvwr options?  Etc.

Ordered my f250 platinum and was thinking about a cheby 2500 gas for a work truck.  Disappointed reading they dont cater to ordering.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:51 AM, Joe T said:

With the HD trucks it’s not a bad idea to order them.  Need snowplow or hd front springs for a bumper?  Gooseneck?  Vinyl seats?  Cab clearance lights?  Gvwr options?  Etc.

Ordered my f250 platinum and was thinking about a cheby 2500 gas for a work truck.  Disappointed reading they dont cater to ordering.

Interest in ordering for customer seems to depends on the dealer. 

(and I suppose the sales person)

Edited by redwngr
  • Thanks 1