Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

paulny

Just purchased '21 3500HD At4

Recommended Posts

Hello all!  Just upgraded from my '20 Sierra 1500 AT4 carbon pro to a 3500 AT4.  As Henry Ford said, you can have any color you want as long as it's black.  SO, black again it is.  It has the AT4 premium package, multipro step lights, auxiliary trailer camera (currently for sale), snow plow prep, and a few other small options.  This is my first Diesel, so I will be reaching out to many of you to educate me.  Contemplating a few mods like leveling kit, slightly bigger tires, maybe adding painted wheel arch moldings, and tonneau cover.  

 

Man, these HD AT4's are hard to find.  I purchased this one 4 hours away.  They literally just received the truck last Thursday and hasn't been test driven.  The dealer is willing to deliver it to me, but my OCD self almost wants to drive the 8 hour round trip to drive it home.  

 

It was PDI'd today and will be ready for delivery pickup no later than Wednesday I am being told.  Any helpful advice with the break in of the diesel?  Any pointers as a new diesel owner?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just drive it, that's how you break it in. Follow the manual if you want, won't really make a difference if you do or not.

 

Always keep DEF on hand or in your garage, don't want to be somewhere without it or unable to find it at a store or truck stop pump.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Cam's note on keeping DEF on-hand..Unless your in an extremely remote area, I've never had a problem finding DEF and you should never really be in a situation where it is needed immediately.  The new trucks have somewhat of a gauge and you'll get a notice on the DIC indicating miles remaining as it starts getting lower, so you'll have plenty of notice.  Otherwise agree, drive it normally..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice and cleaned up before driving 4 hours home.   For a 3500, it rides amazing and I enjoyed getting to know her on the journey today.  

tripps1.jpeg

tripps2.jpeg

tripps3.jpeg

Edited by paulny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, i drove 6.5 hrs 1 way to get my 2500. Would do it again for the right deal. Left 2am got to dealer out the door by 10am on my way back home. Worth it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice.

With the possibilty of pending inflation it's not a bad idea to park spare cash in a vehicle. Much better to have a tangible asset than leaving it in a bank account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

really like GMC (almost got one and wanted it bad)..that hybrid rim was only reason.....i wish it was all machined or all black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2020 at 11:50 AM, It's Tim said:

Nice.

With the possibilty of pending inflation it's not a bad idea to park spare cash in a vehicle. Much better to have a tangible asset than leaving it in a bank account.

I don't keep my money in the bank.  I keep it stashed and buried ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2020 at 7:42 PM, paulny said:

Hello all!  Just upgraded from my '20 Sierra 1500 AT4 carbon pro to a 3500 AT4.  As Henry Ford said, you can have any color you want as long as it's black.  SO, black again it is.  It has the AT4 premium package, multipro step lights, auxiliary trailer camera (currently for sale), snow plow prep, and a few other small options.  This is my first Diesel, so I will be reaching out to many of you to educate me.  Contemplating a few mods like leveling kit, slightly bigger tires, maybe adding painted wheel arch moldings, and tonneau cover.  

 

Man, these HD AT4's are hard to find.  I purchased this one 4 hours away.  They literally just received the truck last Thursday and hasn't been test driven.  The dealer is willing to deliver it to me, but my OCD self almost wants to drive the 8 hour round trip to drive it home.  

 

It was PDI'd today and will be ready for delivery pickup no later than Wednesday I am being told.  Any helpful advice with the break in of the diesel?  Any pointers as a new diesel owner?

Curious what kind of price they gave you for your trade in? I have the same truck as you but we just bought a travel trailer and I was exploring the idea of moving to a 2500 or 3500. I would think I would still get a good offer considering the price used trucks are going for right now. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2020 at 5:30 PM, paulny said:

I don't keep my money in the bank.  I keep it stashed and buried ?

that’s how i keep my women, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

will be picking up a 2021 gmc denali 3500 dually today. just a question on break in. this truck is going to be pulling a 6 horse trailer, should i put some easy miles on it first or is it safe to just put it to work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, silveradosid said:

will be picking up a 2021 gmc denali 3500 dually today. just a question on break in. this truck is going to be pulling a 6 horse trailer, should i put some easy miles on it first or is it safe to just put it to work

 

GM says no towing or steady speeds for the first 500mi for ring and pinion break in.  After 500mi, hook up.

Edited by newdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the exact same truck as you, picked it up last Friday. I also came out of a 1500 I had a 19' High Country, crazy thing is my Console Vault, Amp Powersteps, and Husky Floor mats all fit the 3500. I have installed all 3 now so confirmed same so I think the cabs on the 1500 and 2500/3500 are the same.

 

Got the door windows tinted already too, makes it look much better!

New AT4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.