Evap vent solenoid location 2006 Sierra 5.3L

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 5.3L Ext Cab Short Bed. I can't find my evap vent solenoid. Its not at the back of the fuel tank and its not visible sighting down the space between the cab and bed. My charcoal cannister is in front of the tank lying flat with the three ports facing towards the passenger  side of the truck. All three hoses disappear going up and towards the drivers side.  If you don't know where the vent solenoid is, which of the three charcoal cannister ports is attached to the vent solenoid?

Thanks,

George

Edited by GeorgeLG

Thank you for your reply. That's one of the first videos I watched. Mine is not out in the open and visible like this near the CC and its not at the back of the fuel tank as is often shown. The vent lines leave the cannister and run up out of sight. Looks like I am going to have to disconnect the CC and remove it  to get a better view and follow the vent lines.

George

Edited by GeorgeLG

10 hours ago, GeorgeLG said:

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 5.3L Ext Cab Short Bed. I can't find my evap vent solenoid. Its not at the back of the fuel tank and its not visible sighting down the space between the cab and bed. My charcoal cannister is in front of the tank lying flat with the three ports facing towards the passenger  side of the truck. All three hoses disappear going up and towards the drivers side.  If you don't know where the vent solenoid is, which of the three charcoal cannister ports is attached to the vent solenoid?

Thanks,

George

Extended cab short box.  When you say short box, do you have the 5ft8in box?  Or is it the 6ft6in box?  They did make both in 06 and 07.    

The 5ft8in box "short" box, if that's what you have, the canister vent solenoid appears to be mounted towards the front of the tank, on or above the left frame rail.  Here is the exploded picture.  Follow the big line off the #5 part and it points roughly to where the canister bracket mount sits.  

cainster.png

39 minutes ago, newdude said:

Extended cab short box.  When you say short box, do you have the 5ft8in box?  Or is it the 6ft6in box?  They did make both in 06 and 07.    

The 5ft8in box "short" box, if that's what you have, the canister vent solenoid appears to be mounted towards the front of the tank, on or above the left frame rail.  Here is the exploded picture.  Follow the big line off the #5 part and it points roughly to where the canister bracket mount sits.  

cainster.png

Oh man that diagram is perfect, it’s the first one that shows my configuration with the CC laying flat pointing sideways as mine does. No wonder I couldn’t see the vent solenoid it’s hidden above the frame rail. Now all I need is to rent a mini me to crawl up there and get that thing out. I think I can hear the OEM designers giggling all the way from Detroit.

Thanks,

George

• Like 1

Mine is in fact the 5'8" bed and there it was on a bracket bolted to the left frame rail with the vent solenoid wedged between the top of the fuel tank and under the bed. Has anyone else dealt with this goofy setup and if so, how the &*^%* did you get that thing out of there? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

George

For anyone finding this thread in need:

There are multiple configurations even for the same year trucks, depending on model. Mine was one of the rare ones and until the diagram above, I could not find my set up. If your solenoid is above the left frame tube behind the front of the fuel tank:

1) Drop a couple of F bombs right now to get them out of the way. Pull the retainer clip from the hose attachment at the charcoal cannister (the port on the left) and pull off the hose.

2) pull up the hose retainer going into the top of the left frame tube securing the hose.

3) unbolt the frame bracket from the side of the frame tube.

4) Start wiggling the solenoid and bracket towards the left of the truck as if to remove the assembly over the top of the frame tube and out of the truck. Remove the electrical connector.

5) Slip a thin screwdriver under the retainer clip between the solenoid and the bracket to release the assembly. Remove the bracket.

6) Twist and turn the solenoid and hose like a Rubicks Cube until you get it all out.

7) Some have gotten the hose off of the solenoid with a heat gun but I cut it at the nipple and used a small section of 5/8" heater hose to join the severed pipe to the new solenoid.

? This inexpensive replacement fits:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J9FAYE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

George

• Like 1

• 3 years later...