How To: Strange electrical issues with 14-18 Sierra/Yukon? Do this test first!

tlaw91

• 2 months later...

Update: I got the service stabilitrack error randomly on startup a few months after Dealer replaced negative cable and bumper to bumper warranty ended. 

Occasional codes of B127E, B127B, B1325, U0121, C0800, U0073

Replaced short positive cable from battery to junction box. All connections were tight. Cleaned ground on outside frame rail under drivers seat.

It's been 2 months and no random codes or stabilitrack. Next thing will be to replace battery if codes come back.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I'm out of ideas.

I still get a service stabilitrack occasionally, along with B127E especially if I turn truck off and then restart after a few minutes (like when in a long line at drive thru).

I also get a random service safety restraint system, airbag light, along with U0140 Lost communication with Body control module only if i leave a door open when truck warming up for several minutes. Shut truck of and restart, no message and airbag light goes off, all seems normal after that. 

• 7 months later...

I had my battery (original) replaced last August. My vehicle is 17' and I'm at 27K mileage. Recently I've received 2 OnStar notifications that I had a Low-State of Charge on my new battery which I found interesting because I keep the car on a trickle charge if the car sits for an extended period of time. Called my dealer who installed the battery and they tested the charging system and are now telling me that the battery cables have high-resistance and need to be replaced.

5 minutes ago, bsprtsgrp said:

I had my battery (original) replaced last August. My vehicle is 17' and I'm at 27K mileage. Recently I've received 2 OnStar notifications that I had a Low-State of Charge on my new battery which I found interesting because I keep the car on a trickle charge if the car sits for an extended period of time. Called my dealer who installed the battery and they tested the charging system and are now telling me that the battery cables have high-resistance and need to be replaced.

Could be true but it sounds like a bogus claim, maybe they're just regurgitating what some TSB says.  To actually test the resistance of the battery cables they would have to disconnect them all from anything they are attached to, and this includes all of the grounds and main power connections as well.  Are they really doing this?  And their suggestion is to replace every single battery cable?  What are the resistance ratings they are attributing?

PS, have you checked your passenger front frame grounding location behind the wheel well/wheel liner?

26 minutes ago, bsprtsgrp said:

Our K2XX trucks are notorious for "bad grounds" due to corrosion at the connecting points to the body. Watch this video I'll post below. He shows a very good solution for this. I did  add (2) additional grounds a he shows just as a precaution on my '17. Original battery is 5 years old so waiting for it to go bad now & will replace it with a high CCA/Ah AGM battery. Be sure ALL yoyr body grounds are cleaned & add some dielectric grease to help stop corrosion at those points.

1 hour ago, BlaineBug said:

Could be true but it sounds like a bogus claim, maybe they're just regurgitating what some TSB says.  To actually test the resistance of the battery cables they would have to disconnect them all from anything they are attached to, and this includes all of the grounds and main power connections as well.  Are they really doing this?  And their suggestion is to replace every single battery cable?  What are the resistance ratings they are attributing?

PS, have you checked your passenger front frame grounding location behind the wheel well/wheel liner?

The Service Manager is a friend of mine and he told me this is a known issue. Tech disconnected and tested the cables. I'll ask about the wheel well ground

22 hours ago, bsprtsgrp said:

The Service Manager is a friend of mine and he told me this is a known issue. Tech disconnected and tested the cables. I'll ask about the wheel well ground

They replaced the Positive main harness (84528825), the short Positive (84494554), and the main Negative harness (84634109).

Edited by bsprtsgrp