In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

New gears

Just picked the truck up from the shop. With the new 4:88 she feels better. Doest take a lot to get this 7700lb pig to move. Curious to see what my mpg goes to. Waiting for updated tune for new gears. So at 70mph which i think is 60 i spin under 2k and dic mpg shows 15 16 when i would normally see 12 13. Total cost 3600 for 4wd

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You have a black bear tune? I’m real hesitant on tuning this one. The few times I towed with my 11 5.3 in elevation my truck ran real lean or maybe it was my cats getting too hot. Not sure but I didn’t like it.lol. Wouldn’t be opposed to tuning the trans because it doesn’t seem to know if it’s coming or going [emoji23]

You have a black bear tune? I’m real hesitant on tuning this one. The few times I towed with my 11 5.3 in elevation my truck ran real lean or maybe it was my cats getting too hot. Not sure but I didn’t like it.lol. Wouldn’t be opposed to tuning the trans because it doesn’t seem to know if it’s coming or going [emoji23]
I do have it tuned through black bear. They dont tune the engine just give u a generic tune. They did tune the trans. Now im waiting over a month for a updated tune

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a update. Got the new tune for the speedo. For some odd reason truck doesnt feel as peppy. Weird, sent them a log to check my tune. Mpg is back to stock. Bummer was hoping for a little gain but with bigger gears ill take stock mpg. Noticing a whine in the gears, will call shop and have him change them out. Sounds like its coming from the front diff.

Calculated fuel mileage would have been wrong prior to the calibration update. So to me seeing the DIC fuel mileage return to what it was before sounds normal.

I'm sure at the right speeds your fuel mileage will be better than factory gearing. It's just that nobody wants to drive that slow.

Calculated fuel mileage would have been wrong prior to the calibration update. So to me seeing the DIC fuel mileage return to what it was before sounds normal.

I'm sure at the right speeds your fuel mileage will be better than factory gearing. It's just that nobody wants to drive that slow.
Over all im happy. Few people said i might lose mpg. Biggest test is if it helps my towing. If not then it was a lesson learned lol and will have to decide supercharger or just go diesel. Hate to have to setup another truck.