Silverado versus Sierra cabin noise

GN2018

I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to drive both a Silverado and Sierra that could comment on the difference in the sound proofing in the Sierra versus the Silverado.  I used to drive Buicks when I was working.  They were very quiet.  Then I got an Impala and it was significantly more noisy.  Now I have a truck and find that the noise level is pretty bad and I'm wondering if I got a Sierra in the future would there be a noticeable difference in the cabin noise.

Or, is the real difference in the trim levels.  For example, would I have a quieter cabin if I'd have gotten a LTZ Silverado?  Similarly, would I have to get the highest package on the Sierra (Denali?) in order to get a quiet cabin?

Basically, I need to know how best to get a quiet cabin.  Not just a little better than a base Silverado, but a truly quiet cabin.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to drive both a Silverado and Sierra that could comment on the difference in the sound proofing in the Sierra versus the Silverado.  I used to drive Buicks when I was working.  They were very quiet.  Then I got an Impala and it was significantly more noisy.  Now I have a truck and find that the noise level is pretty bad and I'm wondering if I got a Sierra in the future would there be a noticeable difference in the cabin noise.

Or, is the real difference in the trim levels.  For example, would I have a quieter cabin if I'd have gotten a LTZ Silverado?  Similarly, would I have to get the highest package on the Sierra (Denali?) in order to get a quiet cabin?

Basically, I need to know how best to get a quiet cabin.  Not just a little better than a base Silverado, but a truly quiet cabin.

While I think this is highly subjective I do have some thoughts on this. Having a quiet ride (low cabin noise) is important to me as well. Before ordering my SLT I drove a Silverado with the Z71 pkg (5.3), an SLT with the X31 package (5.3) and an SLT with premium plus (non x31, 6.2). To me the non off road pkg truck was the quietest by a noticeable margin. IMO the tires make a huge difference. I ordered an SLT premium plus 5.3 without the x31 off road pkg with 22" wheels which comes with the all season tires (rather than the all terrain more aggressive tires) and wheel well liners. I'm very happy with how quiet my truck is. The truck is so quiet at highway speeds I don't realize how fast I'm going, and this is the reason I didn't get the x31 pkg.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I have a 2019 high country and my step dad just bought a 2020 SLT Sierra and I can tel you without a doubt the Sierra is quieter. I also owned a 2015 Terrain and my grandfather has a 2015 equinox and my terrain was quieter. So when I bought my 2020 Acadia for my wife the sales man states the GMC put about 150 lbs more of sound deadening into the terrain compared to the equinox.

Id say from my experience the GMC is quieter. 

Edited by TNTSilverado

15 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

I have a 2019 high country and my step dad just bought a 2020 SLT Sierra and I can tel you without a doubt the Sierra is quieter. I also owned a 2015 Terrain and my grandfather has a 2015 equinox and my terrain was quieter. So when I bought my 2020 Acadia for my wife the sales man states the GMC put about 150 lbs more of sound deadening into the terrain compared to the equinox.

Id say from my experience the GMC is quieter. 

Either the salesman is a liar (shocking) or you have a typo. No way there's 150 lbs more  of sound deadening material in there. I removed the interior of my 04 Corvette and added  sound deadening material and it made a huge difference. Weight? Not positive but maybe a pound or two?

• Like 1

I just bought a new 2020 2500 diesel.  It had/has/ a rattle in the dash.  It is mostly intermittent but generally only at start up.   Annoying as all hell.   The sales team has tried to fix it and has helped but it still rattles sometimes?   Is there a material that could be applied for a fix to this issue?  The rattle is at the center of the console?   

Not Apples to Apples but i did test drive a 2021 Silverado Custom, Sierra SLE and 2021 Sierra SLT. I ended up buying the Sierra SLT for a multitude of reasons vs a lower trim level but i would say overall the sound difference is small. All were powered with the 5.3. My SLT has the Z31 package also which i would say gives a slightly noisier ride due to the tires but if comparing the Custom with the SLE they seemed almost the same to me. I felt my SLT was overall quieter at higher speeds (Freeway) vs the other two. That could also be the fact that i was leaning towards this truck more also. Tires will make a huge difference 

1 hour ago, steve8 said:

Either the salesman is a liar (shocking) or you have a typo. No way there's 150 lbs more  of sound deadening material in there. I removed the interior of my 04 Corvette and added  sound deadening material and it made a huge difference. Weight? Not positive but maybe a pound or two?

It wasn’t a typo! That’s what he stated. And from owning it and driving my grandfathers. It was a huge difference. Either way it was way quieter. And my stepdads GMC SLT is quieter than my High Country as well.

As for our new Acadia it is about the same as my mother’s new Enclave. Can’t say for a Traverse, because I haven’t driven a new one but definitely quieter than my mother’s 2017 she traded in for the Enclave. 

38 minutes ago, 1Joshman said:

I just bought a new 2020 2500 diesel.  It had/has/ a rattle in the dash.  It is mostly intermittent but generally only at start up.   Annoying as all hell.   The sales team has tried to fix it and has helped but it still rattles sometimes?   Is there a material that could be applied for a fix to this issue?  The rattle is at the center of the console?   

Mine is in shop right now for the same issue. Along with a steering column issue. Hopefully they can get mine fixed.???? Agreed “rattles “ are so annoying. Good luck with your truck. 

The SLT I had for a courtesy truck was definitely quieter, but it’s far from apples to apples between that and my LTZ. 22”s and a 6.2 with intake and catback VS a 5.3, stock and 20s. The GMC and Chevy are also very different aerodynamically and that might have some effect on the wind noise.

I dunno. I’d need more samples to compare. Some of the internet rumors over the years about the GMCs having thicker glass, this and that...just not true. I’m sure the marketing guys don’t mind that stuff floating around though. 

5 hours ago, steve8 said:

Never thought of that.  Is it possible to add aftermarket sound deadening material to the Silverado?  I would like that a lot!

As for tires, I never go off road and run pretty smooth stock tires.  I'm sure they make a difference but probably not the main noise I'm hearing.  When I replace the tires, I'll make sure to get a tire that is made to be quiet.  I'm sure some all season Michelins could run a bit quieter.   

39 minutes ago, GN2018 said:

Never thought of that.  Is it possible to add aftermarket sound deadening material to the Silverado?  I would like that a lot!  

Of course. I did the doors and some of the floor. Mainly to chase down some rattles I had. The doors are pretty well deadened from the factory but I added Dynamat in select places, and Dynaliner on the backs of the door panels. Nothing hard, just time consuming.

I noticed the same thing when I drove my bro-n-laws 2019 1500 Sierra SLT x31 vs my 2020 1500 Silverado z71. His was much quieter, enough I thought maybe my engine had a bad injector......you just can't hear them in the Sierra .

Edited by OlyMike
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, steve8 said:

Maybe that explains why my RST has a slightly higher  (about 200lb) tow capacity then my bro-n-law SLT X31. The trucks have the same 3.0, drivetrain, bed and doors.

Edited by OlyMike