New Purchase 3500HD AT4 or Laramie 3500

After owning both 2015 Chevy 2500HD 6.6L and what I own now, a 2020 GMC 1500 AT4, both ? law, its hard to pull the trigger on a new 2021 GMC 3500 AT4. Were currently looking at Ram Laramie 3500 but not have yet decided. How has your experience been with the new GMC HD AT4's? Would like your opinions. Thank you in advance. 

2020 2500 AT4 Duramax with 7600 miles and no problems thus far. I love this truck and would probably buy it again, but man I love the interior of the Ram's with the huge Tesla-like infotainment system.  Wish GM would redo their interior, my 2020 interior doesn't look much different from my 2014.

gSwift, thanks for your input. The Ram has nice interior but lacks the transmission update. They need a Allison transmission. But the Ram does have some problems with the 12' screen but I don't mind the little things. 

1 hour ago, jp687atc said:

gSwift, thanks for your input. The Ram has nice interior but lacks the transmission update. They need a Allison transmission. But the Ram does have some problems with the 12' screen but I don't mind the little things. 

Just an FYI, the 2020+ HDs have an Allison-branded 10-speed transmission. The trans is built by GM and Allison licenses their name, unlike the old 5&6-speed Allison 1000 series trans in the 2001-2019 trucks that was actually built by Allison. 

• Like 1

i've had both. 2018 Ram 3500 with Aisin. Not a single problem with it in the  1 1/2 yrs I had it. My brother-in-law bought it. 

Now in a 2020 Sierra 3500. It does have some of the little issues talked about here. Time will tell

The Ram felt more solid. The GM is more fun and comforting to drive.

Both haul my boat just fine.

If you go with the Ram, make sure you get the Aisin transmission. I have had 2 trucks with it, never a problem

22 minutes ago, kylant said:

i've had both. 2018 Ram 3500 with Aisin. Not a single problem with it in the  1 1/2 yrs I had it. My brother-in-law bought it. 

Now in a 2020 Sierra 3500. It does have some of the little issues talked about here. Time will tell

The Ram felt more solid. The GM is more fun and comforting to drive.

Both haul my boat just fine.

If you go with the Ram, make sure you get the Aisin transmission. I have had 2 trucks with it, never a problem

Thank you for your input. It might just come down to who ever is giving the better deal. If I go Ram I'll stick to the Aisin.

Edited by jp687atc

51 minutes ago, jp687atc said:

Thank you for your input. It might just come down to who ever is giving the better deal. If I go Ram I'll stick to the Aisin.

You might want to forget the trucks all together and weigh everything else too?  Dealership?  Distance too?  Warranty? Expected Maintenance costs?  Let's face either MFG could give you a problem child then add in the Dealership?  Ouch...Now your one pissed off dude!

Two things influenced my decision between a new Ram and the GM: 

First was price. At the time I bought (summer), Ram dealers had little to no inventory and wouldn't deal. The best I could get was about $4K to $5K off MSRP including incentives (which were paltry at the time). Since I qualified for Family First GM discount, I was able to get over $10K off MSRP with incentives.

Second was the CP4.2 fuel pump in the Ram. There were already reports of failures (though not widespread) in the 19-20 model years where this pump is used. There are folks saying that the mid-year 21 models have gone back to the CP3.

As a bonus, the Allison/GM transmission in my Chevy shifts like butter and tows like a dream. The Aisin has a great reputation for reliability and towing but many owners report clunky shifting when unloaded. Either would have been a nice upgrade from the 48RE transmission I had in my previous truck - 2004.5 Ram 3500.

As far as problems, I had a couple of leaks fixed (one oil and one DEF) and there's a buzz in the dash when the truck is cold. It goes away after about a minute of driving. It's a known issue that I'll have corrected at my next service.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Njmurvin said:

Two things influenced my decision between a new Ram and the GM: 

First was price. At the time I bought (summer), Ram dealers had little to no inventory and wouldn't deal. The best I could get was about $4K to $5K off MSRP including incentives (which were paltry at the time). Since I qualified for Family First GM discount, I was able to get over $10K off MSRP with incentives.

Second was the CP4.2 fuel pump in the Ram. There were already reports of failures (though not widespread) in the 19-20 model years where this pump is used. There are folks saying that the mid-year 21 models have gone back to the CP3.

As a bonus, the Allison/GM transmission in my Chevy shifts like butter and tows like a dream. The Aisin has a great reputation for reliability and towing but many owners report clunky shifting when unloaded. Either would have been a nice upgrade from the 48RE transmission I had in my previous truck - 2004.5 Ram 3500.

As far as problems, I had a couple of leaks fixed (one oil and one DEF) and there's a buzz in the dash when the truck is cold. It goes away after about a minute of driving. It's a known issue that I'll have corrected at my next service.

Njmurvin, thanks for you input. I've had a 2015 LTZ 2500HD with the Allison and I hear you, its awesome. I think if they were to install them into the Ram it would be a done deal. I didn't know Ram was having a pump issue, that's no bueno. Trying to stay out of the shop for awhile saves me time and money. Pretty good to hear you were able to get 10k off MSRP. I usually let my wife do the talking. I think the prices are good now but unfortunately I'm not buying till Feb Mar timeframe.  

Yes.  The CP4 is why I avoided considering the Dodge when I was looking for a replacement for my 08 Duramax.  When I heard that GM did away with the CP4 for the 2017 and up models that's when I started looking hard at the GM trucks again and found a great deal on a 2018 this year.  (well good deal for this year, all the new and used prices shot up big time thanks to COVID closing plants and reducing new inventories.  I believe Ford has eliminated the CP4 as well, but the 2011-2016 Duramax had the CP4.  I had a 2012 Duramax for about a year that had all sorts of DEF and DPF issues (all covered under warranty) but was fed up with that and got rid of it once the warranty expired and the glow plugs started going out and NoX sensors as well.

Edited by Colossus

I was very close to buying a new Ram. They’re a beautiful truck. Unfortunately there is no room in them if you’re tall, my right knee was against the dashboard and my head was brushing the headliner, with the seat all the way down/back. I couldn’t believe it. I was ready to buy it as I was really smitten with the truck but that was a deal breaker for me.

I then drove the new GMC and despite finding it a little visually unappealing, I really liked how it drove compared to the Ram. The Ram felt really stiff and the engine felt laggy in comparison. So much more leg, head and shoulder room in both the front and rear seats. Only complaints are the spongy feeling brakes and the kind of awkward looks. I like the interior, it may look a little underwhelming but everything is well laid out and pleasant to use.

One more thing the Ram really lacks is bed access. GM’s bumper steps really are great. Better than Ford’s tailgate step, and Ram still has nothing. As for the Multipro tailgate, I could not care less about it. I have it but don’t need it or use it.

Edited by Camstyn

I agree about the room. I'm not tall, but I appreciate the rear leg room in my new truck (especially compared to the smaller quad cab in my old 2004.5 Ram). My neighbor has a 2019 Ram 2500 Mega Cab. It has an elongated cab, but they put the extra space behind the rear seat for storage instead of expanding the leg room. It seems like a missed opportunity to me.