How long has it been taking to order a new truck?

According to my dealer, GM is not taking ‘sold’ orders. Rather, dealers are given allocations monthly and they can order against those. Not sure how true that is, but it could be that your dealer has taken your order but they don’t have an allocation to place it against.

This is 100% true.

1100 and Dealer Allocation

This causes a lot of issues. When you place an order with a dealer, the status is 1100. UNTIL Chevrolet ACCEPTS the order, it just sits there at 1100. You don't have an order with GM at this point. You only have a dealer requesting an allocation for a slot in the production schedule. Dealer Allocation is simple to understand - GM changed its model for producing vehicles a few years' back. Dealers are now awarded allocation based on past performance, as well as other factors. If you are sitting at 1100 you are not in line yet for production. Your dealer MUST get GM to accept the order. When GM accepts the order, all the parts are available and will be allocated to your car build.

First, many dealers do not understand the allocation process.

Second, dealers are told at the beginning of every model year the number of units they are expected to order. This is their Guide Number, so called because it is intended to help a dealer "floor plan."

Third, many dealers confuse Guide Number with Allocation.

Fourth, dealers are told every other Thursday how many Allocations (a portion of the Guide Number) they can use over the following two weeks AND this number of orders will be divided over two weeks.

To summarize, say the dealer is given 50 units as a Guide, which means about 1 unit every weekly ordering process from 2 units awarded in the every other week ordering process. If the dealer sells a dozen trucks every year, change the 50 to 12 and reduce the bi-weekly consensus to conform. By the way, this awkward system meets laws and demands of court decisions.

When will my car/truck ship?

You have better chances of picking winning lottery numbers than to know for sure when your vehicle will ship. When you combine the QC issues with geographical delivery of vehicles (at the lowest possible cost so they need to aggregate deliveries - and they don't not use a first in first out methodology), this can be the most frustrating part of the whole SRE journey. There is no transparency to actual data. There is just generic codes and sometimes the whisper from "someone in the know". Your vehicle may ship quickly, it may not. It will likely take longer the more rural you are and the lower the volume of cars your dealer sells.

Order status codes:
1100 = Preliminary Order (Order passed GM edit tables but dealer has not received allocation to place order)
2000 = Accepted By GM (Dealer used allocation to place order into production)
2500 = Preferenced (Order pulled to the production system)
3000 = Accepted By Production Control (Order input into the production system)
3100 = Sequenced (Order sequenced for Production)
3300 = Scheduled For Production (Order is scheduled into the plant build cycle)
3400 = Broadcast (Order is sent to various build & supplier areas to bring order together)
3800 = Produced (Order is built and VIN# shows in the Dealer Order system now)
4150 = Invoiced (Order is invoiced to the dealer)
4200 = Shipped (Vehicle is shipped to the dealer or point of delivery)
5000 = Delivered To Dealer
6000 = Delivered To Customer

DOSP - Dealer Order Submission Process

The weekly process consists of 4 stages.

1. Constraints Distribution - Dealers are informed on constraints to review before placing orders.  (A Constraint is a limit placed on specific build configurations.)

2. Dealer Order Submission - Dealers can order on Thursday, Friday or no later than midnight on Saturday. (You can submit orders earlier but you don't know the constraints.)

3. The 4-Pass Process - GM will attempt to place each dealer’s orders on Mondays using a 4-Pass process. (At this point a dealer may get more or less than was allocated, if they asked.)

4. Dealer Review - You can review your placed orders for changes or replacements until Tuesday at 9pm ET. That's when the accepted orders are sent to production control.

Edited by elcamino

I was just curious with you guys ordering trucks or buying a truck in transit how was communication with dealer about status of truck? I bought one in transit December 26 but still waiting on delivery but communication with dealer has been crap. I’ve been tracking it myself with GM chat, but it aggravates me when dealer says it’s still sitting at factory and GM told me yesterday it’s on a train to the yard. Don’t get me wrong I’m not bugging dealer every day for update I just casually ask here and there when exchange emails about trial offers, insurance information etc.. 

I ordered a Sierra 3500 on December 18th.  The dealer called today and said it was sent back by GM as GM can't get something in the preferred package.  So I could keep my order and delete the preferred package, or he would change the order to a stock truck and resubmit my build.  I told them to resubmit mine as if I'm ordering I want to get what I want, and I'm in no huge hurry for the new truck.

Throw my hat into ring of waiting. Originally ordered a loaded SLE but for same reason as above poster was pushed back because of SLE preferred package being on restraint. Ended up going to SLT trim to get what i wanted for about $2500 more, so i couldnt say no to that deal.

Now I get to wait. Ordered 1/12, will update when my baby arrives on how long it took.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm part of the Waiting Club too. Ordered a SLT Gas with the dealer 11/5. Truck was built week of 12/7. 12/11 has a VIN. 1/8 still sitting in the Ravendale, Mi Rail Yard for the train to Winston-Salem. 

Like mentioned earlier the dealer is no help. Called dealer for a status 12/23. Said he'd call me back. 1/14 still waiting for his call. Unbelievable on a $70k truck when I laid ALL the specs out for the order from the website and can't call me back. The GMC Chat has been my source. Check once a week. Not like I really need the truck, but with virus. It's something I'm looking forward to. Last GMC LLY is now 17 years old, so it's been awhile for a new truck.

I ordered a GMC 3500HD SLT CC LB SRW Gas on January 9.  The dealer said the order had to come out of their allocation as discussed above, and that this would add a few weeks to the wait for a commitment from GM because they had to wait until their next opportunity to order.  They predicted 10 to 12 weeks of total wait from the day I ordered. 

update: order status changed from 1100 to 2000 on 2/9, status 3000 on 2/11, with build scheduled for week of 3/1

Edited by Another JR
update order status

On 1/14/2021 at 11:59 PM, Another JR said:

I ordered a GMC 3500HD SLT CC LB SRW Gas on January 9.  The dealer said the order had to come out of their allocation as discussed above, and that this would add a few weeks to the wait for a commitment from GM because they had to wait until their next opportunity to order.  They predicted 10 to 12 weeks of total wait from the day I ordered. 

Same here, I ordered one (2021 2500 HD gasser)  three days ago and was told 10-12 weeks at a minimum. 

Edited by D A
Info

On 1/14/2021 at 5:22 PM, Jimmy-Mack said:

Yep, I'm part of the Waiting Club too. Ordered a SLT Gas with the dealer 11/5. Truck was built week of 12/7. 12/11 has a VIN. 1/8 still sitting in the Ravendale, Mi Rail Yard for the train to Winston-Salem. 

Like mentioned earlier the dealer is no help. Called dealer for a status 12/23. Said he'd call me back. 1/14 still waiting for his call. Unbelievable on a $70k truck when I laid ALL the specs out for the order from the website and can't call me back. The GMC Chat has been my source. Check once a week. Not like I really need the truck, but with virus. It's something I'm looking forward to. Last GMC LLY is now 17 years old, so it's been awhile for a new truck.

Been using the GM chat to track my purchase too. Some dealers are useless and apparently can't be bothered with sold or completed orders. I purchased a truck at the end of last month that was still in transit - asked the salesperson to keep me updated. Complete silence from them for the past three weeks, but I've been contacting GMC every week for updates and found out today that it was delivered to the dealer yesterday. No one from the dealership contacted me about it. I called today and asked my salesperson when I could pick up my truck and he tried to argue with me and tell me it hadn't been delivered and they would call when they get it. I just about blew up. He acted shocked when I told him that GMC confirmed dealership delivery and insisted that he needed to go find my truck. I got a call back a few hours later telling me the truck was indeed delivered and there were a few options that needed to be installed and the usual PDI and I could pick up the truck on Monday. Unbelievable!

I'm excited to be getting my truck in a few days but the level of apathy from the sales team at this dealership just irritates me. I sold Chevy's for a few years in the late 90's and customer communication and satisfaction were a big deal where I worked. Maybe things have changed in 20 years but there is no way this dealership is getting a 5 star review from me, and I plan to tell them that when I take delivery in a couple days. Still excited about the new truck and fingers crossed that the service department is better managed.

Edited by farsidius

On 1/16/2021 at 7:08 PM, D A said:

Same here, I ordered one (2021 2500 HD gasser)  three days ago and was told 10-12 weeks at a minimum. 

I'm trying to order a 2500 AT4, but the dealer just said there's an issue and they'll let me know next week if they can order. I'm not holding my breath though. According to Donlen's the wait is 26 weeks and no new orders after 1/1 I assume because they'll be switching over to 22's by then.  Unfortunately there's no AT4's in my area and dealer says swaps aren't happening either.  Sounds like I'm outta luck till August.