In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

10 speed transmissions on trail bosses

Hey guys......

I'm eyeballing a 2021 LT trail boss 5.3 10speed trans. I know it's a crap shoot from lemon or best truck ever as far as problems go, but does anyone have any experience w these 10 speeds? I currently own a '15 1500 w a flawless 6 speed......but damn those trail bosses are sweet looking.

Lots of info on the 8 speed problems, not too much info on the 10s yet. Any info you guys can give me would be much appreciated. 

I went from a 2016 5.3 with a 6 speed to a 2020 5.3 with the 10 speed. WHAT a difference. This truck drives so much better. Smooth shifting and holds gears great going down hills.  I would not hesitate to get a 10 speed. 

• Like 1

Yeah, you're not helping my bank account....???. With all the incentives, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I parked my '15 next to the trail boss and I felt I was in a camero. I'm not a fan on messing with levels or lifts, and the redesign is absolutely awesome. I was going to go w a ram 2500, but too many horror stories w the hemi tick. Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

10 speed is awesome.  Super smooth.  Always seems to be in the right gear.  I have driven previous GMs with the 6 speed, Tundra with 6 speed and Ram with 8 speed.  No comparison.

• Like 1

My 2020 TB 5.3 10-spd is an amazing truck. That transmission is just so smooth and buttery shifting, you barely know its there. My truck shifts better than my 2020 Lexus RX350 F-Sport with an 8-spd transmission. Here in NC, going west towards the mountains, there are a few places you have to "climb the mountain" (Hwy 421 past Wilkesboro heading towards Boone and I40 just past Old Fort) and my truck just handles it with ease, shifting into which ever gear it needs and you barely notice it except for the increased revving. Some people have complained of a clunk going into gear, but I've never noticed it. And don't get me started on how much better the engine and transmission are compared to my old Tacoma with it's V6 and 6-spd.

Well from the people who do have the problems, it seems to be from 1st to 3rd and back down to 1st. The chevy shakes arnt a problem anymore so trying to go over 60mph on a test drive isnt a priority like it was test driving my '15. I'm going to put it thru its paces and see how she does. Kinda like my ex wife, but hopefully with better results.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

You could spend a week scouring the internet, reading reviews, watching reviews, etc. etc. and likely not find even a handful of people who dislike the 10-speed or who have something negative to say about it. 

On the other hand, you can do the same research and quickly realize it is a well-loved transmission. 

I wouldn't even waste another minute wondering if you'll like it or not. It's a good one. ?? 

• Like 1

Like i said, I'm going to really run it thru the low gears and get a feel for it. In general, it sounds like buttah. I did see an article that they stopped using the 10 speed on the sierras,  and gave a 200 credit to people who ordered the 10, and now got stuck w the 8 speed. Different model 10 speed maybe? Anyone know?

52 minutes ago, Ramper71 said:

Like i said, I'm going to really run it thru the low gears and get a feel for it. In general, it sounds like buttah. I did see an article that they stopped using the 10 speed on the sierras,  and gave a 200 credit to people who ordered the 10, and now got stuck w the 8 speed. Different model 10 speed maybe? Anyone know?

I thought I heard that was because of a supply issue with covid shutdowns.  Not sure if that was the reason or not.

10 speed was on constraint at the end of the 2020 production run, and it appears to be carrying over into 2021. I just don’t think they can make enough of them. Every 2021 full size SUV uses it now, in addition to the very popular pickup models that have it.

16 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

10 speed was on constraint at the end of the 2020 production run, and it appears to be carrying over into 2021. I just don’t think they can make enough of them. Every 2021 full size SUV uses it now, in addition to the very popular pickup models that have it.

According  to the article, GM gave no reason for the decision but the speculation is supply chain on the 10s, and abundance of the 8s. And yes, it was on the 2020s.

Went from a 2019 LT with the 8 speed to the 2021 with the ten speed. Awesome truck. Always fun to drive, shifts like butter and I haven’t looked back since. The truck is more fun than my performance pack S550 mustang GT but that’s just my opinion. 

8E9ECE16-FC39-4A0C-B044-D583D3A93F8B.jpeg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ramper71 said:

According  to the article, GM gave no reason for the decision but the speculation is supply chain on the 10s, and abundance of the 8s. And yes, it was on the 2020s.

5.3 2021s are getting the same $200 credit and the 8 speed in certain trims. I don’t believe the Trail Boss is getting downgraded, the examples around here still have the 10 speed. Also, 6.2s and 3.0s are still getting the 10 speed no matter what.