Rough Country 2" level for Z71...non TB

Hey guys I know this topic is covered a TON but I haven't seen much outside of AT4/TB on the rough country leveling kits. I'm installing it on my 21' Z71 non-TB this weekend (spacer on top of strut). I'm curious to see pics if anyone has installed this kit on a regular 4wd or z71 so please share. Any issues anyone has ran into?

Edited by 21summitZ71

Be careful with the cv boots.  I just got back from picking up 2 cv axles at my local Chevrolet dealer to install on my 2020 because they wouldnt cover under warranty which mine are messed up mostly from the install.  I have a 2.5" motofab upperstrut.  If the little clamp comes off of the boot you pretty much have to replace the whole axle.

16 hours ago, andrewb24 said:

Be careful with the cv boots.  I just got back from picking up 2 cv axles at my local Chevrolet dealer to install on my 2020 because they wouldnt cover under warranty which mine are messed up mostly from the install.  I have a 2.5" motofab upperstrut.  If the little clamp comes off of the boot you pretty much have to replace the whole axle.

Ok but if you went with the upper strut spacer, how did it mess with the CV boot? Or it was strictly just from the install?

1 hour ago, 21summitZ71 said:

Ok but if you went with the upper strut spacer, how did it mess with the CV boot? Or it was strictly just from the install?

You need to disconnect the strut from its upper mount on the frame in order to place the spacer on top of the strut.  People see the two bolts on the bottom of the shock where it connects to the lower control arm and assume it's easiest to disconnect the shock from the lower control arm first because those two bolts are more easily accessible than the three nuts on the upper shock mount; that's where they go wrong and can damage a CV or boot.  If you remove the bottom bolts where the shock connects to the lower control arm without first disconnecting the shock from the upper shock mount (3 nuts), the shock will often times kick out and you can nick the boot.  It is best to remove the three bolts from the upper shock mount, lower the suspension to unload any potential energy, then remove the bottom two bolts holding the shock to the lower control arm.  By doing this, the shock is unloaded before removing the two lower bolts and there is no potential energy that can be converted to kinetic energy when the shock is released from its lower mounts.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 21summitZ71 said:

pretty sure it was from install only but I dont have a lot of miles on it with the lift on to tell if they will damage boots 

Nice looking truck.  

I went with a 1.5" spacer on top.  I tried a 1.5" bottom spacer and it pushed the shock against the cv boot when installed.  So I finally tracked down a 1.5" top mount spacer with some help from this sight and it worked great.  Sometimes I think I should have went with a 2" spacer, but my truck sits at about 39.25 on all four corners and the bed rail sits level, with a level, not that I'm that ******, but I checked with a level...  Plus I pull a boat alot in the summer so... I'm ok with 1.5"