Anyone make the jump from Truck to SUV?

I've owned my 2019 RST Z71 almost 2 years now. 14K on it, so I don't drive all that much compared to most. I live in the heart of the 'Burbs. I love this truck. Have had zero issues with it (besides the rear window leaking, of course). 

My kids are now 9, 6, & 3. The whole family riding in the truck is like putting the Hatfields and McCoys 1" apart from one another. ?  So we use my wife's Odyssey for longer trips. 

I really love the new GMC Yukon AT4. I like the off-road possibilities with it, as I do vacation with the fam in Colorado, and some of those easier mountain passes would be fun in a Yukon AT4. 

I can basically get what I paid for my RST right now in resale, so I'm starting to consider a change. It's quite a chunk of $ to get into the fullsize SUV world, but I know they hold their values pretty well, too. 

Any of you move from truck to fullsize SUV? Any feedback on that? 

Besides tossing bikes or stuff in the bed of my truck that could have easily fit into the back of an SUV, I have only used my truck bed ONCE in 2 years for "truck" purposes - to haul some debris to the landfill. I could have easily just put it on the curb for the trash guys, but decided to haul it instead. 

Looks like I've finally become a city boy, as I just don't need a bed that much anymore it seems. The new Tahoe/Yukon rear space is impressive, and this would mean my wife wouldn't need another minivan in 3-5 years when she wants a new vehicle, too. 

With hitch-mounted cargo carriers, and so many other accessories, I just don't know that I would really miss having the truck - apart from losing my "truck owner" identity that has lasted a strong 13 years. Lol 

Thanks for any helpful feedback in advance! ?? 

Do it. I am trading in my 19 TB on a suburban diesel in a couple of months and wont look back. If I need the bed capabilities ill buy a flat bed trailer, I have the space to store it so not a big deal.

Id get an At4 if they offered the diesel, the Elsd is a big selling point IMO but the diesel is more desirable to me. Paying for a standard color also drives me nuts but whatever.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I've gone back and forth.    I'd had a Cherokee then a Wagoneer (older FSJ type), several Rovers, finally ended up in a Sierra, really loved it, had it for about 7 years.  But I got ticked when the engine died and couldn't find a replacement (long story short, I had a particular year that limited what it could use), ended up going to a 4Runner.  I really liked the 4Runner, it was a good vehicle, but...  after 5 years, I'm back in a Sierra again.   However, I'm also now in a different place in life:  my youngest is now off to college, usually it's just me, or me and the wife, and occasionally maybe one or perhaps even two of the kids may tag along going somewhere but rarely, usually just one of them or perhaps the granddaughter.   I kept finding myself limited what I could haul various places, it's been good to have a bed again.  The 4Runner couldn't tow what I needed to tow.  

A Yukon, it would have worked for me too, I think.  There are quite a few things I've carried in the bed of the Sierra that, while a lot of things might've fit, some of them couldn't have fit in the back of a Yukon...  but, I could have bummed a trailer and dealt w/ such if needed.   A trailer can sub for a truck bed in a lot of cases.   

Now that you've got kids you need to fit, and they'll be getting bigger, it makes sense to have room for them.    Then, down the road, get a truck again if you need.   

• Thanks 1

We have a 2019 Atlas for vacations. Before I bought the Sierra, I drove a 2017 Explorer Sport. I wanted the utility of a truck bed without having to worry about marring the interior. Between the two we are set, and we still have the Explorer which my son drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JR09country said:

Do it. I am trading in my 19 TB on a suburban diesel in a couple of months and wont look back. If I need the bed capabilities ill buy a flat bed trailer, I have the space to store it so not a big deal.

Id get an At4 if they offered the diesel, the Elsd is a big selling point IMO but the diesel is more desirable to me. Paying for a standard color also drives me nuts but whatever.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That’s how I’ve been feeling. Anything I’ve used my truck bed for in the past 7 years or so could’ve easily been done a hitch carrier or small trailer. 

But many times over the same period I could have used that whole covered cargo area of a Yukon/Tahoe. 

And yeah, the eLSD is why I am set on an AT4 vs Tahoe Z71. When I spec out the Tahoe how I wanted it, I got to within $2K of an AT4 with the addition of vented seats, HUD, and eLSD. 

I do wish I could get the diesel. I’ve looked at the Premier or SLT with a diesel but I have the 5.3L now and like it. My daily commute is 4 miles round trip. So MPG ain’t too big of a deal to me. Ha! 

1 hour ago, LNBright said:

Now that you've got kids you need to fit, and they'll be getting bigger, it makes sense to have room for them.    Then, down the road, get a truck again if you need.   

Thanks! That’s what I’ve been thinking... easy to go back to a truck when needed. And cheaper, Lol. 

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I really like the look of the Yukon AT4. But knocking on the door of $70k and you still only get the 5.3. Go Denali or go home. ?

I actually did look at that, and the HC since they are all in that $70K entry range. But once you start adding the options you want - and would get with the AT4 - you end up in the high 70’s fast. And with a lot of chrome to deal with thereafter. ??‍♂️

But yeah, I do wonder if they will squeeze the 6.2L into the AT4 / Z71 Tahoe in 2022? 

53 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Seems like it would be a no-brainer to give the AT4 the option. But GM has always been very stingy with the 6.2 in the SUVs. You couldn’t even get it at all in the Tahoe until 2018. 

Yeah, feels like they’re telling us that if we want the big boy, pay up for the HC, Denali or the Escalade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

But GM has always been very stingy with the 6.2 in the SUVs. You couldn’t even get it at all in the Tahoe until 2018. 

Fun fact: GM offered the 6.2 in the Tahoe in 2009 for a brief moment in time. It was only available in the LTZ trim and only for one year. But it quickly started cutting into Denali and Escalade sales so they cut it. Even stranger - they didn't offer it in the Suburban at all. Guess they don't mind offering it in the Tahoe and Suburban now since they've learned they can charge Denali money for a High Country and still sell them as fast as they can build them. 

• Like 1

Had a Yukon and now have a Sierra. I miss the Yukon... it is easier  for parking lots. Always used a trailer when hauling with the Yukon, which is a pain, but it keeps the mess away from the vehicle. I would not go Yukon today though. They are just too pricey. Every man has to call it the way he sees it though.

• Thanks 1