Wireless CarPlay from White Automotive & Media Services

Installed the new module from WAMS in my 2020 HC.   If you have the 20 series truck and would really like to have 2021 factory wireless CarPlay this is hands down the right way to do it.  There appear to be a couple of "Adapters" out there that claim to provide wireless CarPlay, but after reading pretty much every review I can find, they don't seem to be very stable.

The White Automotive & Media services module is a factory radio with the latest options, after a couple of settings changes to my iPhone, it's flawless. Hop in the truck, phone in pocket or on the charging pad and off we go.  Seamless integration because it's the GM tech, expertly programmed by the WAMS gurus.   You submit your VIN and it shows up ready to be installed, just had to have XM subscription moved to the new radio ID which I did online at no cost.

Since pretty much all features were already enabled in my truck, this really just added Wireless CarPlay and I believe a better HD radio, and 2 trailering features.  Nav is map data is newer also, as this comes with a new Nav SDCARD.

I did run into Apple Wifi issues which were easily resolved.  This is something to consider no matter which CarPlay option you pick.  The new Apple feature in IOS 14 called  "private networking" can present an issue, so make sure you turn that off for the trucks Wifi network. (on your iPhone goto settings, wifi, select the truck network, hit the "i"  and turn Private Networking off) In fact you can turn that off for any network you trust.   It's great for public/guest wifi,  as it's assigns your phone a new address frequently making it harder to track your device, but it can cause problems on some networks. So turn it off, your trusted (home or truck) network will thank you and you 'll be just as "safe".  Also if you have good wifi coverage where you park your truck, your iPhone may want to stay connected to the home network, until you move away from it.  You can help that transition by adjusting the wifi network priority on a Mac computer, make the truck #1 and home #2, and the transition to truck wifi appears to happen very quickly.   Also make sure you've selected "Auto-join" on your iPhone for the truck wifi network.   Once I did that, I can flawlessly transition in and out of the truck and my phone move to the right wifi by itself every time. You may not have any challenges at all, but these suggestions might help if you do.

Anyways, back to the installation, which is clearly outlined on the WAMS product page.   Disconnect battery before starting this install.  You'll need a 10mm socket with an extension to remove two nuts that hold the inverter bracket on.  A plastic trim tool to remove two plastic fasteners holding that flimsy carpet/felt material under the glove box and without question your favorite automotive pick tool.  If you can do this installation without a pick tool, you got mad skillz.  

Radio module is up inside the passenger side dash. Pic 1.  Like the instructions say, there is a large connector right in the way, just disconnect it and tuck both ends out of the way.  Then disconnect the inverter cable.  Pic 2. there is a red slide lock, use the pick tool to slide it toward the drivers side and then pull the grey arm to remove.  Once thats off, remove the inverter from the bracket and get that 10mm socket out and remove the two nuts holding it against the firewall.   Once it's gone you can see the radio module, it's in a plastic mount that has a couple of tabs to press on to remove it.  Pic 3. Before you can remove it, you have to disconnect all the cables.  Each cable has a sliding lock and a tab to press on to remove it.  This is easy with a pick tool, just locate the slide lock with the pick tip and gently pull down to unsnap it.  Be gentle -  it's hard to reach but easy to do once you find it.  Depress the tab to remove the cable, it's located right under that lock you just moved.  After that, tuck the connectors out of the way and work the radio module out, it's a tad tricky but surprisingly easy once you've done it.

Reverse the process for installation, snap a picture of the serial number and XM radio ID just in case, because let's face it, you're never going to take that sucker out !

After that follow the instructions from WAMS, but really I found just handle the wifi stuff as stated above first, and then accept all of the obvious continue questions and off you go.

Overall I'm VERY happy with not having to plug a cable in when I get in the truck, makes CarPlay even better than it was already. Finally that charging/cooling pad in the console actually makes sense.  The one I installed in the lid of the console means both my wife and I can be wirelessly charging and I'm cable free in the cab, which was my original goal.   The HD radio and Nav update is great

Two major thumbs up on the quality of the product, and excellent support when I asked support a question.  Hands down would recommend this company and product.  Next up BCM re-programming!

IMG_0872.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

Edited by romclean1
typo
  • Like 1

Got a link? I saw they were working on this but I didn't realize it was ready. Curious about the price. 

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com

It’s not the least expensive option, but I think it’s hands down the best if you want 100% factory integration.
For sure it’s way cheaper than a new truck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this will come down in price over a year or two, as there are trucks heading for the scrapyard.  The main issue is he needs to buy new from GM and then program to match your VIN

Installed mine before Christmas.  I love it.  Need to do the wireless charging swap in the spring when it gets warmer.

I did try the carplay2air adapter that others have mentioned but it never worked well with my truck.

I think it has a lot to do with the radio powering on before starting the engine, so it didn't work consistently.

I am using it in my 03 Corvette with an aftermarket radio and it works perfect. 

Others have had success with their trucks, but the WAMS solution is clean and works perfectly for me.

I also didn't have navigation so it was an upgrade of both navigation and wireless carplay.  Not bad when you look at it that way.

17 hours ago, romclean1 said:

Installed the new module from WAMS in my 2020 HC.   If you have the 20 series truck and would really like to have 2021 factory wireless CarPlay this is hands down the right way to do it.  There appear to be a couple of "Adapters" out there that claim to provide wireless CarPlay, but after reading pretty much every review I can find, they don't seem to be very stable.

The White Automotive & Media services module is a factory radio with the latest options, after a couple of settings changes to my iPhone, it's flawless. Hop in the truck, phone in pocket or on the charging pad and off we go.  Seamless integration because it's the GM tech, expertly programmed by the WAMS gurus.   You submit your VIN and it shows up ready to be installed, just had to have XM subscription moved to the new radio ID which I did online at no cost.

Since pretty much all features were already enabled in my truck, this really just added Wireless CarPlay and I believe a better HD radio, and 2 trailering features.  Nav is map data is newer also, as this comes with a new Nav SDCARD.

I did run into Apple issues which were easily resolved.  This will is something to consider no matter which CarPlay option you pick.  The new Apple feature in IOS 14 called  "private networking" can present an issue, so make sure you turn that off for the trucks Wifi network. (on your iPhone goto settings, wifi, select the truck network, hit the "i"  and turn Private Networking off) In fact you can turn that off for any network you trust.   It's great for public/guest wifi,  as it's assigns your phone a new address frequently making it harder to track your device, but it can cause problems on some networks. So turn it off, your trusted (home or truck) network will thank you and you 'll be just as "safe".  Also if you have good wifi coverage where you park your truck, your iPhone may want to stay connected to the home network, until you move away from it.  You can help that transition by adjusting the wifi network priority on a Mac computer, make the truck #1 and home #2, and the transition to truck wifi appears to happen very quickly.   Also make sure you've selected "Auto-join" on your iPhone for the truck wifi network.   Once I did that, I can flawlessly transition in and out of the truck and my phone move to the right wifi by itself every time. You may not have any challenges at all, but these suggestions might help if you do.

Anyways, back to the installation, which is clearly outlined on the WAMS product page.   Disconnect battery before starting this install.  You'll need a 10mm socket with an extension to remove two nuts that hold the inverter bracket on.  A plastic trim tool to remove two plastic fasteners holding that flimsy carpet/felt material under the glove box and without question your favorite automotive pick tool.  If you can do this installation without a pick tool, you got mad skillz.  

Radio module is up inside the passenger side dash. Pic 1.  Like the instructions say, there is a large connector right in the way, just disconnect it and tuck both ends out of the way.  Then disconnect the inverter cable.  Pic 2. there is a red slide lock, use the pick tool to slide it toward the drivers side and then pull the grey arm to remove.  Once thats off, remove the inverter from the bracket and get that 10mm socket out and remove the two nuts holding it against the firewall.   Once it's gone you can see the radio module, it's in a plastic mount that has a couple of tabs to press on to remove it.  Pic 3. Before you can remove it, you have to disconnect all the cables.  Each cable has a sliding lock and a tab to press on to remove it.  This is easy with a pick tool, just locate the slide lock with the pick tip and gently pull down to unsnap it.  Be gentle -  it's hard to reach but easy to do once you find it.  Depress the tab to remove the cable, it's located right under that lock you just moved.  After that, tuck the connectors out of the way and work the radio module out, it's a tad tricky but surprisingly easy once you've done it.

Reverse the process for installation, snap a picture of the serial number and XM radio ID just in case, because let's face it, you're never going to take that sucker out !

After that follow the instructions from WAMS, but really I found just handle the wifi stuff as stated above first, and then accept all of the obvious continue questions and off you go.

Overall I'm VERY happy with not having to plug a cable in when I get in the truck, makes CarPlay even better than it was already. Finally that charging/cooling pad in the console actually makes sense.  The one I installed in the lid of the console means both my wife and I can be wirelessly charging and my I'm cable free in the cab, which was my original goal.   The HD radio and Nav update is great

Two major thumbs up on the quality of the product, and excellent support when I asked support a question.  Hands down would recommend this company and product.  Next up BCM re-programming!

IMG_0872.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

Oh this is awesome thank you for that!!! :)

3 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

I think this will come down in price over a year or two, as there are trucks heading for the scrapyard.  The main issue is he needs to buy new from GM and then program to match your VIN

Sadly likely not. The way GM handles branded titles wrecked units will likely be blacklisted from the GM back end and we wont sell half a solution not to mention our relationships require we ONLY sell new hardware so thats another strike there unfortunately. I know most of you know this but it bears repeating retail on JUST the radio module is $830, we really wanted to provide as much value as possible for the price point we ended up at.

2 hours ago, eppieguy said:

Hope for a 2019 option sooner than later.....

We hope soon! 

2 hours ago, Mcropper514 said:

Installed mine before Christmas.  I love it.  Need to do the wireless charging swap in the spring when it gets warmer.

I did try the carplay2air adapter that others have mentioned but it never worked well with my truck.

I think it has a lot to do with the radio powering on before starting the engine, so it didn't work consistently.

I am using it in my 03 Corvette with an aftermarket radio and it works perfect. 

Others have had success with their trucks, but the WAMS solution is clean and works perfectly for me.

I also didn't have navigation so it was an upgrade of both navigation and wireless carplay.  Not bad when you look at it that way.

Thank you for the feedback!!!

33 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

Can’t wait to do this on mine!

Great write up OP! Great work as always@gtpprix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soon!!! :)

Edited by GTPprix
spelling is hard lol
  • Like 1

so if you have conv 2 pkg, premium info system and SD card reader this will get you wireless charging and navigation?........am guessing you need center console for this?, no bench seat