In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Wireless CarPlay from White Automotive & Media Services

On 1/18/2021 at 8:41 AM, Trevor Hopkins said:

Just for everyone's info, I ordered mine about ten days ago. 

It turns out if you have the upgraded radio (IOS), but you do not have BOSE, this is not common. They emailed me and asked permission to test a new build of the software on my module and see if it works. If it does not work, they will refund part of the cost and  will send another unit that definitely will add carplay, but not NAV. I am hopeful the first option works as I probably would not have paid that much just for the wireless carplay, I don't think the pricing is unfair I just talked myself into it by justifying the cost because of the NAV upgrade. The dealer charges $400 for a nav upgrade. 

Another thing is the company doesn't really provide a phone number for customer service and emails go to a general inbox. It is very difficult to get updates on your shipping time. They do provide generic info on how long to expect processing to take for their different types of products... but this kit doesn't really fall easily into any of the categories. You do get a brand new module, but it is also custom programmed for your build via your VIN. 

I am really hoping it just works. But all in all the company seems pretty legit, just wish their communication was better. 

Have you received your yet? I know it takes some time, just trying to figure out what real lead time is.

Tom

Yes. I would say 1-2 weeks. Mine had issues but I knew that it possibly would as my original post says. The wireless carplay and gm nav worked really great. Very fast and smooth. But it emded up incompatible with my speaker set so I had no sound in nav carplay or radio lol. They asked if I minded trying another software build so that hopefully people with my same option list will have an easier time in the future so I agreed. We will see how it comes back.

18 hours ago, Fuelie said:

Have you received your yet? I know it takes some time, just trying to figure out what real lead time is.

Tom

I ordered mine on Jan 26th and it shipped out Feb 1st.  So a week isnt bad at all I dont think. 

13 minutes ago, Mudcon said:

I ordered mine on Jan 26th and it shipped out Feb 1st.  So a week isnt bad at all I dont think. 

How did your install go and where did you mount your antenna?

Tom

23 hours ago, Fuelie said:

How did your install go and where did you mount your antenna?

Tom

I am getting it today so I will get it in the next few days. 

I installed mine this evening (2019) and had a couple of hiccups.

1. There is a orange round connector on my old one that won't fit on any terminals of the new one, maybe need a adaptor.

2. My cameras don't work at all, maybe its the one cable I cannot connect ?

3. Having trouble getting my Sirius radio to register, maybe a problem with Sirius online activation/xfer service. Will call them tomorrow.

Install was not too bad, getting all the connectors off is a real pain, it takes patience and took the longest of the install.

Wireless car play works GREAT!

Everything else works good. Just need my cameras back. I will dig into that tomorrow.

My install time took about 2.5 hrs, most of that time was patience with the connectors.

Tom

I installed mine this evening (2019) and had a couple of hiccups.
1. There is a orange round connector on my old one that won't fit on any terminals of the new one, maybe need a adaptor.
2. My cameras don't work at all, maybe its the one cable I cannot connect ?
3. Having trouble getting my Sirius radio to register, maybe a problem with Sirius online activation/xfer service. Will call them tomorrow.
Install was not too bad, getting all the connectors off is a real pain, it takes patience and took the longest of the install.
Wireless car play works GREAT!
Everything else works good. Just need my cameras back. I will dig into that tomorrow.
My install time took about 2.5 hrs, most of that time was patience with the connectors.
Tom

Orange is your camera input it’s the same connector on the new one as it is on the old one so unless you pulled the connector completely off the old unit somehow it will plug in. Don’t mess with the xm until you check the subscription status on the new one ;)

3 minutes ago, Fuelie said:

I will check that tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks

Tom

Unknown.jpeg

Top is new unit bottom is old 2019 style unit. Orange connector is same between both (upper left on new unit just clocked 90 degrees CCW) below that is the WIFI Antenna port. These connectors are almost a break away style where the housing can come off IN the truck side connector which you'll have to remove from that connector. 90% of the time they come off clean and you can simply press it back onto the old unit. If you run into any issues please contact us directly as we could have gotten you this info much sooner :)

HA! I had just finished the job when I posted and you replied in a few minutes!

Thats pretty fast.

I have this gut feeling I might have broke the connector off on the old unit.... embarrassing ?

Im too tired to go check it tonight.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fuelie said:

HA! I had just finished the job when I posted and you replied in a few minutes!

Thats pretty fast.

I have this gut feeling I might have broke the connector off on the old unit.... embarrassing ?

Im too tired to go check it tonight.

LOL! I didnt even look at the time stamp just saw it pop up on my phone! Look nothing to be embarrassed about. It's happened to me on other applications that use the same connector. The good news is 90% of the time you just push it back onto the old unit and the other 10% of the time you put a small dot of super glue on the back side then push it onto the unit :) I swear they do that on purpose I have no idea why but FAKRA connectors have been that way as long as I can remember SUPER common on the GPS plug on the GM HMI's. 

Edited by GTPprix