OTA update - Am I the last in line?

Coastie

Have you received the latest update ~ Nov 2020  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, RWTJR said:

I don't think so as the update push didn't start until late last year. What you see is the original Build Number and date (original software, if you will). The update will be listed under Update History.

20210115_111302.jpg

Can't say for sure.  But, I have a 2020 that was in for an engine replacement less than a month ago and being in the software biz, that version number appears to be your current.  Need to keep in mind that things were shut down for 3 months or so.

Look at the version number and update number, they are both U150.  The info after the U150 will generally be the build number which at my work, would have a new date but who knows with GM

8 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

Can't say for sure.  But, I have a 2020 that was in for an engine replacement less than a month ago and being in the software biz, that version number appears to be your current.  Need to keep in mind that things were shut down for 3 months or so.

Look at the version number and update number, they are both U150.  The info after the U150 will generally be the build number which at my work, would have a new date but who knows with GM

To try and preclude any further confusion,  I will just share the FACTS of my update. On January 13, 2021, I received notice of the U150 update on my infotainment system. Prior to that my infotainment system only showed the April 9, 2020 Build Date. I clicked the message to download and install the update. About 30 minutes later I got back in my truck and had a message on my infotainment system that the update was successful. When I went into the System->About, it showed the Jan. 13th Update under "Update History", with no changes to the Build Date.

For reference, my truck was built on 08/01/2020 and has always had the original April 9, 2020 Build Date.

So in short, after a successful update, the Update History showed the Jan 13, 2021 entry and nothing else changed on the page.

The above are the facts of my successful update.

I hope this helps

No expertise implied or expressed

28 minutes ago, RWTJR said:

To try and preclude any further confusion,  I will just share the FACTS of my update. On January 13, 2021, I received notice of the U150 update on my infotainment system. Prior to that my infotainment system only showed the April 9, 2020 Build Date. I clicked the message to download and install the update. About 30 minutes later I got back in my truck and had a message on my infotainment system that the update was successful. When I went into the System->About, it showed the Jan. 13th Update under "Update History", with no changes to the Build Date.

For reference, my truck was built on 08/01/2020 and has always had the original April 9, 2020 Build Date.

So in short, after a successful update, the Update History showed the Jan 13, 2021 entry and nothing else changed on the page.

The above are the facts of my successful update.

I hope this helps

Interesting... So I have the update, U150 but for some reason, no sign in history.  

48 minutes ago, Rob Mugs said:

Interesting... So I have the update, U150 but for some reason, no sign in history.  

Again, I'm not sure this is true. According to the below excerpt from the TSB, the system must have a build number of U150.3 or greater to receive the update OTA (but may still need the update). Any build number less than U150.3 needs to be updated via USB.

TSB excerpt on OTA update or "Remote Vehicle Update" as it's called:

"If noStart Downloador Install Now pop up is displayed, navigate toSettings->Updates.If there is a remote package on the system, it will display Install Now OrStart Download. If the screen below is shown, then there is no remote update package on the system. Navigate to Settings -> About to verify the software version. If the build number is not U150 or greater, update via USB." It goes on to say: " If the build number is less than U150.3, proceed with the software update following the Update Procedure Using TIS2WEB (USBDownload)."

So according to the TSB, having a build number with the "U150.3" or higher in the script means it can be updated OTA, not necessarily that it has already been updated.

Here's a copy of the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181722-9999.pdf

Trying to help

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RWTJR said:

Again, I'm not sure this is true. According to the below excerpt from the TSB, the system must have a build number of U150.3 or greater to receive the update OTA (but may still need the update). Any build number less than U150.3 needs to be updated via USB.

TSB excerpt on OTA update or "Remote Vehicle Update" as it's called:

"If noStart Downloador Install Now pop up is displayed, navigate toSettings->Updates.If there is a remote package on the system, it will display Install Now OrStart Download. If the screen below is shown, then there is no remote update package on the system. Navigate to Settings -> About to verify the software version. If the build number is not U150 or greater, update via USB." It goes on to say: " If the build number is less than U150.3, proceed with the software update following the Update Procedure Using TIS2WEB (USBDownload)."

So according to the TSB, having a build number with the "U150.3" or higher in the script means it can be updated OTA, not necessarily that it has already been updated.

Here's a copy of the TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181722-9999.pdf

Trying to help

Appreciated.. 

That is a "unique" way to handle it in that case.  So, for all intents and purposes, there's no way to tell if you have gotten it except for when you agree to terms and conditions when applying. 

So, anyone that has had the vehicle in for service would need to ask if it had been applied then I presume. 

Not trying to argue, just very unusual 

1 hour ago, Rob Mugs said:

Appreciated.. 

That is a "unique" way to handle it in that case.  So, for all intents and purposes, there's no way to tell if you have gotten it except for when you agree to terms and conditions when applying. 

So, anyone that has had the vehicle in for service would need to ask if it had been applied then I presume. 

Not trying to argue, just very unusual 

"Unique" and GM seem to go together. Like the Fortitude HT (highway terrain) tires on my Z71 that GM claims are All-Terrain tires, but I digress.

I hope any update done by the dealership would be captured on a work order and provided to the vehicle owner. I don't know what part, if any, a work order plays in billing GM by the dealership for warranty reimbursement. Logically thinking, regardless of where, or how, the update occurs it should be listed in the "Update History". Of course logic may not be involved here (see above tire example).

I know people are trying to understand this situation and I'm trying to help by sharing my experience having a "successful" update and my understanding/interpretation of the TSB.

No argument here either, just trying to help.

No expertise implied or expressed.

I am at the dealer now as my truck will not recognize the update with wifi hotspot from my phone or on star. I advised them that the update is available and the truck will not find it. I advised them that i have an issue with Sirius and voice recognition on occasion and that TSB 20NA199 states an update is available for download via dealer software or OTA. Fingers crossed and will update later.

So after having a pre arranged appt. To do this and a 1.5 hr wait they said there is no update yet and GM is still making it. Reminded them of the TSB and its number 20NA199 November 2020 update and they said we know about it but they havent sent the software to the dealers yet so we cant do it.

Anybody know use a  GMC to program a Chevy? I really dont want to find time to drive 20 miles out of the way to get the update if i can go to a GMC next to the Chevy dealer but different owner.

20210119_145701.jpg

Edited by Bigfoot98
Photo

Good news.

Went to GMC, told them what happened. Service advisor said it is par for the course with that chevy dealer. They checked my vin and said there is an update and showed me on the computer. Less than an hour later and it was done and I had a clean truck too. He showed me the previous messages PIT5754 and PIT5737B that have been superseded by TSB 20NA199 as of September 2020. The PITs were released in the spring and summer. 

Not ever using that Chevy dealer again. The GMC service advisor said that they service a lot of Chevy vehicles because of the dealer across the street from them.

I even showed the Chevy dealer the TSB and number of the update and the service advisor said "well my guy said this so we cant do anything, come back in a few months" I said why would I when the update is available, and has been for MONTHS now I will NEVER BE BACK or buy a vehicle from you either. Absolute garbage service, if that is what they were going to say they should have done so on the phone and not waste my time. Sales could not find any dealer that had the truck I wanted to begin with and tried to push me into a truck on their lot pre covid, and this is the final straw with the service dept. 1. Took the truck there in may about voice recognition not working and they said you need data for it to work... 2. They over filled my oil by a few ounces and I dont think the tire rotation was done. 3 they screwed up the alignment and I had to waste my time and take it back, they thought they should test drive it to verify instead of putting it on the rack again and they drove the truck like they stole it according to onstar, also they screwed up the adaptive tables and I had to find a relearn procedure online to get the truck to shift right after they "verified" the screw up. 4. They cant read a TSB that I gave them. Not to mention they don't know their own oil change prices and quoted me for an oil change 40 dollars over price. No wonder my neighbor brings his Tahoe to the GMC dealer.

In other news VR worked 100% of the time so far and sirius has been fine

31 minutes ago, Bigfoot98 said:

Good news.

Went to GMC, told them what happened. Service advisor said it is par for the course with that chevy dealer. They checked my vin and said there is an update and showed me on the computer. Less than an hour later and it was done and I had a clean truck too. He showed me the previous messages PIT5754 and PIT5737B that have been superseded by TSB 20NA199 as of September 2020. The PITs were released in the spring and summer. 

Glad to hear you were welcomed with open-arms there.  Nothing better than a dealership that actually gives 2 ******.  Don't imagine you took a pic before/after?

On 1/17/2021 at 5:27 AM, carlosh said:

I've a 19 LTZ and got the update yesterday

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

I also have a 2019 (1/19 built SLT Sierra) and got the update about a week ago. I initially ignored it, then didn't drive the truck for a few days, but I let it update when I was inside the grocery store on Saturday. I haven't noticed any differences. 

1 hour ago, jlong1984 said:

I also have a 2019 (1/19 built SLT Sierra) and got the update about a week ago. I initially ignored it, then didn't drive the truck for a few days, but I let it update when I was inside the grocery store on Saturday. I haven't noticed any differences. 

So it doesn't add 100 hp and self driving?

1 hour ago, jlong1984 said:

I have a 2020 built 2/2020, and have version 1.48. Is it safe to say that you had less than v150 and still got the over the air update?

2 hours ago, Bigfoot98 said:

Good news.

Not ever using that Chevy dealer again. The GMC service advisor said that they service a lot of Chevy vehicles because of the dealer across the street from them.

I even showed the Chevy dealer the TSB and number of the update and the service advisor said "well my guy said this so we cant do anything, come back in a few months" I said why would I when the update is available, and has been for MONTHS now I will NEVER BE BACK or buy a vehicle from you either. Absolute garbage service, if that is what they were going to say they should have done so on the phone and not waste my time. Sales could not find any dealer that had the truck I wanted to begin with and tried to push me into a truck on their lot pre covid, and this is the final straw with the service dept. 1. Took the truck there in may about voice recognition not working and they said you need data for it to work... 2. They over filled my oil by a few ounces and I dont think the tire rotation was done. 3 they screwed up the alignment and I had to waste my time and take it back, they thought they should test drive it to verify instead of putting it on the rack again and they drove the truck like they stole it according to onstar, also they screwed up the adaptive tables and I had to find a relearn procedure online to get the truck to shift right after they "verified" the screw up. 4. They cant read a TSB that I gave them. Not to mention they don't know their own oil change prices and quoted me for an oil change 40 dollars over price. No wonder my neighbor brings his Tahoe to the GMC dealer.

In other news VR worked 100% of the time so far and sirius has been fine

I’d of went back and in front of customers tell them the GMC dealer was able to do the update so stop dishing BS to customers. 

Help you blow some steam if nothing else......