In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recovery Strap Recommendations

Found my self in an 'out of luck' situation this week where a friend of mine parked a little too far off the side of the road and couldn't get out. Had I had a chain or tow strap would have taken about 30 seconds to nudge them out but instead had to call for a tow.  I now decided having some kind of recovery chain or strap isn't a bad idea to keep in the truck at all times, weather it's for getting someone else out or should I ever need it.  My question is what does everyone recommend? This isn't meant to be for hard core buried to the frame recovery but just something that can get a vehicle back on the road or out of a snow bank, etc..  My first thought was chain but that seems like it could potentially be dangerous should it break, so now looking into straps.

I found this one on Amazon which includes a 20' strap and shackle hitch receiver for a decent price but curious for any other recommendations or what others may be using.

Edited by reardiff

17 minutes ago, reardiff said:

Found my self in an 'out of luck' situation this week where a friend of mine parked a little too far off the side of the road and couldn't get out. Had I had a chain or tow strap would have taken about 30 seconds to nudge them out but instead had to call for a tow.  I now decided having some kind of recovery chain or strap isn't a bad idea to keep in the truck at all times, weather it's for getting someone else out or should I ever need it.  My question is what does everyone recommend? This isn't meant to be for hard core buried to the frame recovery but just something that can get a vehicle back on the road or out of a snow bank, etc..  My first thought was chain but that seems like it could potentially be dangerous should it break, so now looking into straps.

I found this one on Amazon which includes a 20' strap and shackle hitch receiver for a decent price but curious for any other recommendations or what others may be using.

Reardiff......good idea in my opinion. I carry a couple 6000# tow straps that I just store in my back under seat storage area. Pretty simple but have used it several times to help others out. Got mine at Harbor Freight, actually have (2) just in case I need more length, as you can loop them together. If you have a rear hitch ball, very easy to put the loop over the ball & pull them out. They sell a 20' or 30'

6000 Lb. Capacity 2 In. X 20 Ft. Recovery Strap

For the loops is is safe to put hooks or clevis on it to help get a hold on the other vehicle? Or is that an accident waiting to happen?  I normally don't have a ball hitch on which is why I was thinking about getting the shackle hitch receiver, but just one more thing to keep under the back seat too.

ARB 4x4 Accessories ARB705LB Orange 30' x 2 3/8" Snatch Strap Recovery, 1 Pack

I haven't bought one in over 40 years, but I still carry my 3" Snatch um Strap that has been used many times.  The stretchability of Nylon makes it a beast when yanking someone out who is really buried.  Two years ago I snatched a fully loaded full sized U Haul box truck that had the rear duels buried in clay.  It took about 12 feet of slack to make the truck move, but it came out.  They are so smooth to use.  I'm talking 12 feet of slack taking off at full throttle with a 2015 Denali 6.2.

DO NOT use chain or metal hooks on either end of one.  They can become bullets.

Edited by 2speedbump

I saw those Rhino USA ones but passed on them because I didn't like the fact that the mount had four holes in it. Maybe it's just me but it seemed weaker because of that and being hollow tubing.

I just got a 2017 Silverado and I purchased these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X23L66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SmittyBilt -  It's a 30' 2" strap kit for about $80.  I also got two 10' slings for options for connecting the strap to a vehicle. 

Mainly, I got them in case I was the one who needed help. (and also maybe to help others)

10 hours ago, rav3 said:

Reardiff......good idea in my opinion. I carry a couple 6000# tow straps that I just store in my back under seat storage area. Pretty simple but have used it several times to help others out. Got mine at Harbor Freight, actually have (2) just in case I need more length, as you can loop them together. If you have a rear hitch ball, very easy to put the loop over the ball & pull them out. They sell a 20' or 30'

6000 Lb. Capacity 2 In. X 20 Ft. Recovery Strap

Never do that, that is recovery 101 on what not to do, that ball isn't made for that and if it snaps is now a deadly projectile... If you have 2" loop ends (most do) you can put them in the receiver hitch and run the pin through that. Now if you yank hard enough it can bend and get the pin stuck but it would take a hard pull. Number 1 is of course having arear D-ring shackle, that is ideal. 

Tyler

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

Never do that, that is recovery 101 on what not to do, that ball isn't made for that and if it snaps is now a deadly projectile... If you have 2" loop ends (most do) you can put them in the receiver hitch and run the pin through that. Now if you yank hard enough it can bend and get the pin stuck but it would take a hard pull. Number 1 is of course having arear D-ring shackle, that is ideal. 

Tyler

Humm, good point. I never thought of that. It's a 2" ball with 3/4" thread, so only good for about 3500#'s. What are the tow hooks up front rated for?

20 hours ago, 2speedbump said:

ARB 4x4 Accessories ARB705LB Orange 30' x 2 3/8" Snatch Strap Recovery, 1 Pack

I haven't bought one in over 40 years, but I still carry my 3" Snatch um Strap that has been used many times.  The stretchability of Nylon makes it a beast when yanking someone out who is really buried.  Two years ago I snatched a fully loaded full sized U Haul box truck that had the rear duels buried in clay.  It took about 12 feet of slack to make the truck move, but it came out.  They are so smooth to use.  I'm talking 12 feet of slack taking off at full throttle with a 2015 Denali 6.2.

DO NOT use chain or metal hooks on either end of one.  They can become bullets.

Just ordered one. Been wanting one for awhile and I've heard numerous people swear by these since it has some elasticity. Thanks for the recommendation!

I myself use a Rhino USA recovery strap its a 3in good up to 30k lbs and I have soft shackels and D-rings in the truck and im also buying a kenetic rope to keep in the truck

I agree with a number of the earlier recommendations... one thing you could throw in is https://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-15104-05-Kinetic-Recovery/dp/B01NBM9ZFJ

This is good for up to 7500lbs...and is fully synthetic, without any metal that can become a dangerous projectile....Additionally, being a synthetic rope, the rope itself doesn't become a dangerous whipping instrument, should it snap... the kinetic energy is dumped quickly...so it shouldn't require a weighted blanket on the strap to protect others...

Having said that... I just moved from having an 07 Silverado Classis and a 2011 Jeep JK to a 2020 Silverado LT Z71...to combine all the functions and reduce 'the herd'... so since I no longer have my offroad/winch/etc setup, I am looking at what I need to put in the new recovery bag... I have both the recovery/tow strap from Harbor Freight/Tractor Supply and a replacement 12K synthetic winch rope that I could use... the winch rope does have the metal retainer support loops in each end and is long...I was wondering if that could be used on the tow hooks on the front, or a hitch insert with a hook on the rear... and still be safe... if needed....

I have a Bubba rope as well as a yellow snatch strap in my truck. As well as a couple soft shackles 

i avoid chains cause when they break they tend to go flying around.  I’ve seen pieces of chain fly through windshields and tailgates.