Welp... My 2015's AC died. Thankfully it's January

She's going in this morning for an inspection and repair of the AC. I noticed bit wasn't cooling the other day but figured it was me. Well yesterday was warm enough there was no doubt.

Not sure if it's the line or condenser or what else. I figured I'd make this to document the process.

Side note: this makes my 4th fairly major issue but I've been very fortunate with warranties this far...

1. AFM assploded going up an on ramp one Friday after work - 68k miles - covered under powetrain warranty but took 6 weeks to do because of parts on backorder. Truck never has been quite the same.

2. Door lock actuator failed - covered by extended warranty. Had to live with it for a few weeks because of parts on backorder. Not major, but shouldn't happen in so young a truck.

3. Catalytic converter rattling/failed - around 72k miles iirc - new y-pipe under emissions warranty. No delays.

4. AC failed - 92k miles - should be covered under the extended warranty.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Afm is the only thing I'd consider to be a major failure. You got it all under warranty so it's all good but I understand why you'd be mad. Everything breaks at some point.
I'm not mad... Can't be. I haven't paid for any of it. I get stuff breaks, but it's sad that the imports are so much better still. The big three have come a long way in the last 10-15 years, though. But my wife's crv is almost 11 years old with like 140k miles. It drives like new and the only thing to fail on it has been a wheel hub. I've been spoiled by imports I guess.

AFM was the worst (I was told about $4k) but iirc the y-pipe would have been a $1400 job if not for the federally mandated warranty on emissions maybe it was a $1400 part.. can't remember. Either way, that's not chump change. The truck also consumes more oil than my 88 dodge colt with bad rings. That is sad considering how much they struggle to meet emissions with these v8s.

As for the ac, my parents always drove GMs when I was young. The only things we ever had problems with was ac. My neighbor had a 15 silverado as well and his AC died about 20k miles in. AC isn't a new feature. It just seems like they might have figured out how to make it reliable by now.

Don't get me wrong, l love my truck. But sometimes I wish Toyota built it instead of chevy.

Unfortunately since it was all new stuff for 14 it took some figuring out. AC and lifters were the big ones so at least you got them out of the way ?. If it makes you feel better my old bosses tundra was towed multiple times for no starts and it took the dealer a week to figure out.

30 minutes ago, Lsgun1 said:

Unfortunately since it was all new stuff for 14 it took some figuring out. AC and lifters were the big ones so at least you got them out of the way ?. If it makes you feel better my old bosses tundra was towed multiple times for no starts and it took the dealer a week to figure out.

Well, half the lifters because they'd only do the one side.  But at least I got that goin for me!

Sounds like he had a rough time with that tundra. He should have got a chevy.  (sorry, it's a reflex)

22 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

was there issues with sealing the freon gas on 14-15 models?  my 16 is still holding tight

So, from what I can find, yes.  There's a TSB and extended coverage on the SUVs of the era for the condenser.  I'm told it's the same part in the trucks but the TSB doesn't cover them, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions there.  There's also supposed to be another TSB/issue where one of the lines vibrates too much and eventually cracks.  They released a support bracket to help mitigate that one.  

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2014/MC-10135312-9999.pdf  <--Compressor to condenser line

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10145171-9999.pdf <-- Condenser leak (SUVs)

Edited by papageoff
  • Thanks 1

I replaced my condenser on my 14 last month. Did the work myself and only cost me around $200. You can rent the vacuum pump and gauges if you don't have any at O'Reillys, leave a deposit and get a refund when you return the equipment.

It was the condenser. They fixed it in 1 day. Was a $1400 job, but my extended warranty covered it. I just paid the $200 deductible.

I would have probably done it myself if not for the warranty.