In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Inventory and ordering lead times

1 hour ago, keerf said:

hey guys... curious about what you would do.  I have two options and trying to figure out which one to go with..

#1) a Sierra Denali Diesel with basically everything I wanted, including color, on order from a dealer with an Event Code 3000 (no TPW), dealer things it will be here in 6-8 weeks.

#2) a Sierra Denali Diesel also with basically everything I wanted but my least desired color.  On order from a different deal, also an Event Code 3000 but with a TPW three weeks from now.

I bought land which get possession of in early September so I really don't want to risk having to wait until something like late October or later for the truck.  Based on what I've read on here, seems like once you hit Event Code 3000 there's limited risk of huge delays and it's pretty safe to assume the TPW will be within about 4 weeks and that from there it can be about 4 weeks until the truck gets delivered.  If that's the case I'd go with option #1.  Any thoughts we be appreciated.

Well you can figure about a month from TPW to get the truck give or take.  So option two looks like the quicker option at this point

24 minutes ago, nards444 said:

Well you can figure about a month from TPW to get the truck give or take.  So option two looks like the quicker option at this point

Agreed, but I would say only by a couple weeks. I guess do you settle on the color and get it a couple weeks early, or wait it out. Also, TPW is usually assigned within about a week of 3000 code, so do you need to decide now or can you wait for the TPW to be assigned? Earlier this year, your assumption was right, TPW about 4 weeks after assigned and delivery within 4 weeks after that.  I haven’t been following it lately.

2 hours ago, Rozz522 said:

Agreed, but I would say only by a couple weeks. I guess do you settle on the color and get it a couple weeks early, or wait it out. Also, TPW is usually assigned within about a week of 3000 code, so do you need to decide now or can you wait for the TPW to be assigned? Earlier this year, your assumption was right, TPW about 4 weeks after assigned and delivery within 4 weeks after that.  I haven’t been following it lately.

yeah all depends.  I got TPW within a week or so in march.  Depends on what the truck is.  ALso depends if this is a 21 or 22,  assuming a 22.  If having a truck by a deadline is most important, then taking that is further along might be the best bet.

Can you put your name on both?  Even with a deposit could you get it back or if you lost one deposit is it worth it.

5 hours ago, keerf said:

hey guys... curious about what you would do.  I have two options and trying to figure out which one to go with..

#1) a Sierra Denali Diesel with basically everything I wanted, including color, on order from a dealer with an Event Code 3000 (no TPW), dealer things it will be here in 6-8 weeks.

#2) a Sierra Denali Diesel also with basically everything I wanted but my least desired color.  On order from a different deal, also an Event Code 3000 but with a TPW three weeks from now.

I bought land which get possession of in early September so I really don't want to risk having to wait until something like late October or later for the truck.  Based on what I've read on here, seems like once you hit Event Code 3000 there's limited risk of huge delays and it's pretty safe to assume the TPW will be within about 4 weeks and that from there it can be about 4 weeks until the truck gets delivered.  If that's the case I'd go with option #1.  Any thoughts we be appreciated.

Everyone is different but if it were me....I would not / could not settle on color.   Maybe an option that I wanted but didn't need yes, but not on color and that's because I know that every time I looked at the truck I would think how much I disliked the color and how I wish I would have waited.  For me I would borrow or rent a truck or delay my plans if necessary.  When you get the truck you want to love it.  Not love it until you see it sitting in your driveway :).  I'm option #1 all the way.  Good luck and let us know which ever way you go.  Will be fun to follow your decision and timing on the TPW and delivery.

thanks for the input so far.. definitely leaning towards #1 and I put a deposit on it.  Was thinking about also putting a deposit on the other one as well to be safe but that doesn't quite feel right to tie up two trucks (though I'm sure it would sell real quick).

I guess my main concern is if people on here have heard of recent bad stories of a truck sitting at Event Code 3000 without a TPW for several months.

alright.. I got a TPW of 09/06 so looking promising.  Hoping the recent plant shutdown won't affect things.

5 hours ago, keerf said:

alright.. I got a TPW of 09/06 so looking promising.  Hoping the recent plant shutdown won't affect things.

Good deal!  So if your production week is 9/6 you could be in your truck by early October right barring any surprises from the crazy build schedules?  How did you go about finding out your TPW timing?

29 minutes ago, 03 Cobra said:

Good deal!  So if your production week is 9/6 you could be in your truck by early October right barring any surprises from the crazy build schedules?  How did you go about finding out your TPW timing?

yeah that's what I'm hoping.  I texted the salesperson at the dealer and he got back to me almost right away.

quick update/question - I also asked GM Chat about an event code for the order the same day I spoke to the dealer and just heard back from customer service yesterday that the order doesn't have a TPW. 

But the dealer showed me his printout which had the TPW.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I've read on here that their tracking system isn't great so perhaps the dealer and customer service are looking at two different sets of info?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 9:14 AM, Cheddar said:

Well I am at 18 weeks since I placed a down payment and ordered my 3500 HD.  Dealer has still not been able to push the order in due to constraints on the build. Then the first news article I see is GM is going to reduce shifts  and do shut downs and have already started to lay people off again because of parts shortages and chip issues. The frustration with this whole mess is insane. I have started looking at used trucks again but it is hard to justify buying a used truck that is within a couple years that has a 100,000 miles on it for a higher price the the new one you have ordered.  The market crazy so I guess I will continue to drive this old 94 Chevy 2wd truck with 200,000 miles on it till i get my new truck sometime in 202? who knows.

Well we are at the 6 Month point and still do not have my truck ordered with GM they have not been able to place the order do to constraints. Every couple weeks it is a different part they don't have available or they can't build it because this option is missing parts.  You can't remove those options because it removes your package you need to get the other options you want. This is getting very frustrating, GM should be building the trucks people are ordering rather than stocking fields and parking lots full of unsellable inventory using up parts that could complete an actual order sitting there for 6 months. Just my thoughts not sure if any actual GM reps read this but I would imagine I am not the only frustrated person with this issue happening.  All the while I keep watching rebates and offers pass me by monthly I would love to take advantage of. 

3 hours ago, Cheddar said:

Well we are at the 6 Month point and still do not have my truck ordered with GM they have not been able to place the order do to constraints. Every couple weeks it is a different part they don't have available or they can't build it because this option is missing parts.  You can't remove those options because it removes your package you need to get the other options you want. This is getting very frustrating, GM should be building the trucks people are ordering rather than stocking fields and parking lots full of unsellable inventory using up parts that could complete an actual order sitting there for 6 months. Just my thoughts not sure if any actual GM reps read this but I would imagine I am not the only frustrated person with this issue happening.  All the while I keep watching rebates and offers pass me by monthly I would love to take advantage of. 

I feel the frustration.  I dont work for GM, but am involved in dealing with million dollars of inventory and production.  With that said i am sure some bean counters have ran all scenarios on what you build and not build, based of sales projections, current orders, and supply chain performance, and with that have come up with the best course of action.  Its not like dodge or ford are doing any better with it.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:29 PM, keerf said:

Does not affect the Flint HD plant

"GM said its Arlington Assembly in Texas, where it makes its highly profitable full-size SUVs, will run regular production next week, along with Flint Assembly, where it makes its heavy-duty pickups, Bowling Green Assembly in Kentucky, where it makes its Corvette, and a portion of Lansing Grand River Assembly, where it will make some Chevrolet Camaro and Cadillac Blackwing cars."