Thoughts on GameStop and the market.

Bash74

I invest and I can say good and its about time Hedge fund managers and big Wall Street can cry all they want. Whats happening is what they do all the time. The fact that they want more regulations put in place to make it illegal to discuss investments on discussion forums shows how scared they are.

I can forsee the administration coming up with some kind of legislation to make it harder for small investors and also get money to hedge funds that lost out.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I remember when the Koch brothers tried to corner the silver market. It didn’t work out to well. I prefer the slow safe approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was actually the Hunt brothers, but both are oil families and doing same kind if things.

It all depends on when the person bought and if they sell. There are people that bought right when talk about this all started 10days ago. 20k investment turned into a 480k profit in 10days if the person sold.

When all said and done with this who knows who winners and losers will be.

While I think the "David vs Goliath" is a good story, I find it hard to believe that there weren't some bigger players on the buy side of these stocks.  The problem I see is that people were still buying as the GME stock went to $400, otherwise the price wouldn't continue to climb.  If I remember correctly, options tend to push the price higher/lower so purchases were made towards the top.  When the entities that process the trades, like Robinhood, decide that you can now only "Sell" and no new buying is allowed, that shrinks the possibility that the price will continue to climb.  If I'm in long and see that "buying" has been artificially stopped, I'm selling as quick as I can to maximize my profits....especially in a situation where the price has been manipulated.  Those that bought at $400 have the potential to lose a lot of money if the price plummets.  It looks like buying is allowed again and the market is reflecting that but man is it a volatile situation.

Bottom line, IMO, more regulation will come from this and the little guy will be affected the most when it comes to trading.

Was actually the Hunt brothers, but both are oil families and doing same kind if things.

Yes it was, thanks for the correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once upon a time a million years ago in a land far far away people 'Invested' in a venture buying a stock, a share in ownership which in essence is lending that venture money for a promise of a reasonable dividend and some say in the ventures operations. Eventually some ventures lost the investors money or needed capital for expansions and were forced or chose to sell their debt in the form of bonds, which is purchase of debt for a specific length of time in exchange for a 'yield", a form of dividend but without ownership thus say. This is investing. 

What Wall Street and now Main Street are now doing is speculation and speculation is a kind word for GAMBLING. 

Successful investors NEVER gamble. Buy the index, not the stock or bond. 

• Like 2

While I think the "David vs Goliath" is a good story, I find it hard to believe that there weren't some bigger players on the buy side of these stocks.  The problem I see is that people were still buying as the GME stock went to $400, otherwise the price wouldn't continue to climb.  If I remember correctly, options tend to push the price higher/lower so purchases were made towards the top.  When the entities that process the trades, like Robinhood, decide that you can now only "Sell" and no new buying is allowed, that shrinks the possibility that the price will continue to climb.  If I'm in long and see that "buying" has been artificially stopped, I'm selling as quick as I can to maximize my profits....especially in a situation where the price has been manipulated.  Those that bought at $400 have the potential to lose a lot of money if the price plummets.  It looks like buying is allowed again and the market is reflecting that but man is it a volatile situation.

Bottom line, IMO, more regulation will come from this and the little guy will be affected the most when it comes to trading.
You are correct. With this there are 2 types. There is the ones that looked at this and realized a lot of money can be made by buying quickly and selling quickly. Then the ones that bought and continued to buy to drive up price to just screw shorts and in this case hedge funds and prove a point.

I like the whole thing and think it shows some serious issues within the market, wall street and the regulators.

Once upon a time a million years ago in a land far far away people 'Invested' in a venture buying a stock, a share in ownership which in essence is lending that venture money for a promise of a reasonable dividend and some say in the ventures operations. Eventually some ventures lost the investors money or needed capital for expansions and were forced or chose to sell their debt in the form of bonds, which is purchase of debt for a specific length of time in exchange for a 'yield", a form of dividend but without ownership thus say. This is investing. 

What Wall Street and now Main Street are now doing is speculation and speculation is a kind word for GAMBLING. 

Successful investors NEVER gamble. Buy the index, not the stock or bond. 

It depends on how quick someone wants to make money and how much want to risk.
Index is more slow money unless you put a lot into it. Stocks are fast and high money in comparison. With the whole Gamestop thing One of my sons friends used his entire savings. Spent 50k and walked away 10days later with 1.28mil. Not bad for a person in their 20s.

Futures and options are the real meat.

It really all comes down to the amount of money and time a person wants to risk.

The WSB crowd are known to be gamblers but in this instance, you really get the feeling that making big money is not their primary goal. And that’s why it’s still holding together. Hardly anyone is taking profits. Call them crazy but they deserve a lot of credit for pulling this off, and holding strong.

That said I look forward to a return to normal. Most of my plays this week got blown to pieces. You cannot trade on fundamentals when this circus is going on. Nothing makes sense. Nobody knows what they are doing. The big boys are having to liquidate their positions in good stocks to cover. Now everything’s red.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:22 PM, OnTheReel said:

The WSB crowd are known to be gamblers but in this instance, you really get the feeling that making big money is not their primary goal. And that’s why it’s still holding together. Hardly anyone is taking profits. Call them crazy but they deserve a lot of credit for pulling this off, and holding strong.

That said I look forward to a return to normal. Most of my plays this week got blown to pieces. You cannot trade on fundamentals when this circus is going on. Nothing makes sense. Nobody knows what they are doing. The big boys are having to liquidate their positions in good stocks to cover. Now everything’s red.

I used to play in the ForEx market in the late 2000's.  To me, that's when the market started to change and not make sense.  Used to be you could count on a bounce when Bernake spoke or when GDP was good.  Something happened and the opposite began to happen.  That's when I got out and simply do Mutual or index funds.

• Like 1

when hedge funds are practicing fraud against the public in trading shares in stock they dont own or there is no supply of... , i say they get what they deserve, looking forward to seeing a few big wall street boys put in prison.

buy 1 share in Gamestop, and dont sell it till the price is rediculous , just to mess with the hedgers

Edited by flyingfool

Think the Gamestop ship has sailed. Hedge funds likely covered, went short at the top, and bought covered calls as insurance just in case it went higher and squeezed them. They aren’t stupid.

Looks like now they are just sparking these little run ups to scalp. I don’t think retail traders have enough capital to keep this out of the dirt any longer.

The hedge funds are actually not able to cover even 50%. Also because of what went on with the market because of GME it affected other hedge funds. Total so far they have lost $27 billion. Hedge funds even had to bailout other hedge funds. The only reason this became such a big media thing and issue is because the hedge funds got caught with their pants down. If many of the online brokers didn't help them out they would have gotten hammered even more.

This will not be the last time this happens.