Bose Noise Cancellation 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali

I recently had my infotainment center replaced and drove home (Dealer is a 100+ miles away ) and the road noise seems louder, I was scratching my head, like no way its the dealer, all they did was the Inofcenter... 
After a few weeks I realize that it must be the noise cancellation not working - here is where it gets weird. I swear I remember turning that feature off for a day when I bought my truck new (2 years ago) and could tell the difference and I turned it back on, it was definitely quieter.  Fast Forward to today,  I look through all the settings and cannot find that setting, so I am thinking the dealer replaced it with the wrong head? I call GM, and the dealer and no one can answer my question of how to get to this setting. They have told me there is no setting? I'm not calling anyone names, it just may be me, I travel alot and rent different model cars - am I losing my mind, have I gone crazy - I did just hit 60 - any help from someone with knowledge would help. At this point the dealer has reached out to their contacts a week ago with no answer. 
Has anyone seen this feature or experienced this concern before ? 
DIsclosure - I was a Ford guy most all my life, until I bought this truck new 2 years ago and I love it. 
I was also a Service Advisor and Service Manager at several makes over the years, so I have some knowledge. 

Lance Owens GMC Truck.jpg

On 2/1/2021 at 7:24 PM, konalance said:

I recently had my infotainment center replaced and drove home (Dealer is a 100+ miles away ) and the road noise seems louder, I was scratching my head, like no way its the dealer, all they did was the Inofcenter... 
After a few weeks I realize that it must be the noise cancellation not working - here is where it gets weird. I swear I remember turning that feature off for a day when I bought my truck new (2 years ago) and could tell the difference and I turned it back on, it was definitely quieter.  Fast Forward to today,  I look through all the settings and cannot find that setting, so I am thinking the dealer replaced it with the wrong head? I call GM, and the dealer and no one can answer my question of how to get to this setting. They have told me there is no setting? I'm not calling anyone names, it just may be me, I travel alot and rent different model cars - am I losing my mind, have I gone crazy - I did just hit 60 - any help from someone with knowledge would help. At this point the dealer has reached out to their contacts a week ago with no answer. 
Has anyone seen this feature or experienced this concern before ? 
DIsclosure - I was a Ford guy most all my life, until I bought this truck new 2 years ago and I love it. 
I was also a Service Advisor and Service Manager at several makes over the years, so I have some knowledge. 

Lance Owens GMC Truck.jpg

Welcome to the site, Great looking truck!!!

Do not think there is a way to disable the system in the MyLink menu, you would have to unplug it (not sure, but think plug goes into the factory amp).

Here is a brief description of what it does and why it is present in the stereo. Your current set up is a "touch screen monitor", not head a head unit, with a HMI module, which controls all the functions you see on the screen in the dash behind the glove boxes.

The main components of the Active Noise Cancellation system are:

• 3 microphones in the vehicle headliner.
  • A discrete engine speed (RPM) signal from the engine control module to the amplifier
  • Active Noise Cancellation electronics and software integrated into the audio amplifier
  • The vehicle speaker system, connected to the amplifier, to output the desired cancellation frequencies

The Active Noise Cancellation system is operational under the following conditions:

• The amplifier has passed all self diagnostic checks
  • All doors are closed
  • Battery voltage is between 9.5 V and 16 V
  • The vehicle cabin temperature is less than 140°F (60°C)
  • Engine speed is between 550 and 3000 RPM

The Active Noise Cancellation system is a method used to reduce the perception of certain undesirable sounds generated by the engine into the vehicle cabin. The systems uses microphone and engine speed signals, software integrated into the amplifier, and the vehicle speakers to determine and generate the correct frequencies needed to achieve the desired reduction.

Three microphones are located in the headliner to monitor noise/sounds in the vehicle cabin, and are directly connected to the amplifier. The amplifier also receives a discrete engine speed (RPM) signal from the engine control module. The amplifier processes these inputs to determine the frequency of the undesirable sound. The amplifier then calculates the appropriate cancellation frequency and outputs a cancellation signal (audio tone) to the vehicle speakers to reduce the perception of undesirable sounds by the vehicle occupants so the vehicle cabin appears quieter and without vibration.

• 3 weeks later...

@JimCost2014 Aloha Jim, thank you SOOOOOO much for such a detailed answer, it has helped me a lot and I am so sorry I did not reach out to you earlier to thank you.
I actually took it in to the dealership and they could not figure out the problem yet, and the problem is our time difference between Hawaii and Tech Support on the mainland. Make it worse, I am 2 hours away from the dealership.......
I actually went over what you had said, so he looked it up and came up with the same (thank you again for leading me in the right direction) . He invited me on the test drive as he tried to figure it out. All 3 microphones had readings but the computer said the noise cancelation was "off". The tech was very helpful in trying to find the answer but said he was not allowed to call hotline unless vehicle was in the shop. This makes it difficult with my 4 hour roundtrip and the time difference.
I took a photo of the scan tool (laptop) while we were driving around.

I hope you can read this - the second 2 are of the back of the infotainment center 
Thank you again

1.png

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by konalance
spelling

13 hours ago, konalance said:

but the computer said the noise cancelation was "off"

You are very welcome.

No idea what might be going on there, maybe the wrong HMI module for your truck was installed, or is faulty.