GM Performannnnnnnn Electric

Corvette is a very capable car for the price. But even the head of dodge said the V8s are numbered and with the new restrictions USA will have it won't be long before the V8 is dead. Ford is smart getting way ahead of the game with the ecoboost, Toyota has a new ecoboost like coming soon.

I can see GM taking the smaller turbo motor and making a replacement for the 5.3/6.2 in the next few years.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

You realize these electric engines are fast as F right?

I'm well aware how quick they can be.  We have just seen several missed opportunities to revamp the GM label and each time they go into left field while the competition hits home runs. 

Most people are not interested in how quick an electric car or truck at the current moment because that hasn't been the standard. 

Biggest issue is battery degradation and charging in cold/ hot climates.

Toyota is working on a solid state battery, a few others are working on graphene and cobalt less packs which should improve EV ownership.

For now I'm glad my truck is gas because electric can't fill the void that I need my truck for but only for the fact that I don't have a heated garage to charge a Tesla Model X in during the winter months I would have for sure bought one over my Jeep SRT

1 hour ago, AdamAT4 said:

Corvette is a very capable car for the price. But even the head of dodge said the V8s are numbered and with the new restrictions USA will have it won't be long before the V8 is dead. Ford is smart getting way ahead of the game with the ecoboost, Toyota has a new ecoboost like coming soon.

I can see GM taking the smaller turbo motor and making a replacement for the 5.3/6.2 in the next few years.

Ford was smart???  No offense but GMs V8s get better fuel economy than the ecoboosts do. I have 5 family members who have them and they don’t come near the EPA fuel economy numbers.  Stepdad finally sold his and his GMC Sierra gets on average 22 mpgs.  His ecobust couldn’t sniff 18 mpgs owning it for 5 years. 
There is no reason for GM to abandon their V8s. 

7 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Ford was smart???  No offense but GMs V8s get better fuel economy than the ecoboosts do. I have 5 family members who have them and they don’t come near the EPA fuel economy numbers.  Stepdad finally sold his and his GMC Sierra gets on average 22 mpgs.  His ecobust couldn’t sniff 18 mpgs owning it for 5 years. 

They don't call it Government Motors for nothing! :P

• Like 1

No offense taken but the EcoBoost is far far better on gas than any GM I've ever owned . I've had for EcoBoost since 2011 and they have all been Flawless it's true you can't have Eco and boost it's one or the other.

I will promise you this With the way the EU and Biden are going the V8 are numbered Every major manufacturer if you could walk in on their board of directors having a meeting it's going to be about ev's and more efficient engines the CEO of Dodge came out publicly and said that V8 are numbered and you can Google that.

It will take a lot of work to phase out a V8 engine for a commercial class truck As some companies have restrictions around diesel.

For now I'm enjoying my 6.2 V8 but for my next truck if they figure out the diesel exhaust garbage I will probably get a diesel

The V8 wont die as a whole, but large displacement V8's will.  What you will see is smaller displacement V8 engines with turbos.  Mark my words, the next gen corvette motor will be a smaller capacity(down to ~5.0 liters vs the current 6.2 liters) flat crank V8 with an upgraded version being the same motor with a turbo charger.  Since the Corvette motor is usually the baseline for GM's other large displacement engines such as the 6.2 liter L87 currently in the large SUV's and truck platforms, you can anticipate that whatever the next engine platform is in the Corvette, it will be the carryover for other GM models as well

I agree with Gangly that GM uses the Corvette as their rolling "testbed" for future technological developments and some of those do make it to their regular production lineup, so it is wise to keep an eye on the Corvette for the possible direction of GM's vehicles to come. The Rochester mechanical fuel injection in 57 was pretty much a fail, but in 63 they scored big with IRS and disc brakes. So are we going to see other mid-engine ICE's in the GM lineup? Most probably not, but the Corvette often does offer us clues on the future of the automobile.

1 hour ago, BowtieSquatch said:

How about the 2021 Raptor release today,  thoughts?

Looked for it, couldn't find anything.  I saw a video of a 21 Raptor but obviously not what I was looking for.  It didn't have engine info.   

2022 Ford F-150 Raptor R: Everything We Know About the V-8 Supertruck (motortrend.com)

Edited by SILVER SLED

GM is capacity constrained right now until Oshawa is up and going.  Basically right now GM is just substituting one sale for another.  Assuming the margins are similar, you are basically taking the 100 million dollars to develop this special variant and lighting it on fire.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1