In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Who cares how fast it is in the 1/4 mile.

Horsepower and torque numbers don't mean diddly if it can't be used . When it comes to putting the power to the ground the Duramax is the King. So puff out your chest and smile.

This reminds me of the Polaris ,Arctic Cat and Skidoo horsepower wars .

AC and Skidoo always have had more horsepower engine for engine . The Polaris was always 10&15 hp less but would kick ass on the others. The reason. Clutching. The engineers up in Roseau figured out how to make less ponies do more.

The folks that engineer the Dmax/Allison do the same thing.

Here's a sentence from the article that should give you a woody.....

The Chevy's shifts are more assertive than the Ford's, and the rev-happy diesel never comes off boil as it makes forward progress. [emoji123]

Here you go Dmax fans ...

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Yahoo! Voices: Tested: 2020 Chevrolet, Ford, and Ram HD Pickup Pull-Off.

https://autos.yahoo.com/tested-2020-chevrolet-ford-ram-130000953.html

BTW did I mention that this whole electric truck bs is annoying [emoji35]

Long live the deeezle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i mean i guess it’s good to be top dog, but realistically any of these three engines is far more than adequate for almost any realistic use of a 3/4 ton truck.  for me personally, i do not think 25 hp or ft lb either way would influence my decision on what truck to buy.  I would be thinking more in terms of long-term reliability than getting the truck with the most possible pulling power.

The awesome duramax wins the pulling game, but it's in the ugliest looking body of the three. 

• Like 1

I mean that's cool and all, but I don't use my truck in such a niche category. 

At this point when they're set up correctly none of them are actually going to out perform the other in any way that truly matters, EXCEPT it seems when it comes to exhaust braking.

I'm not sure what GM or Ford did but everything I now read says their exhaust braking sucks compared to Ram.

12 hours ago, Colossus said:

The awesome duramax wins the pulling game, but it's in the ugliest looking body of the three. 

Yes, the Duramax is awesome but its the 10spd that makes this version so great.  Regardless of what you think of the looks (I think it looks awesome by the way) it is a MUCH better combo with the 10spd vs the 6spd.

Hmm interesting.. Good point about the 10 speed.  I wonder how the 2019 L5P would do with the 6-speed.

On 2/5/2021 at 9:36 PM, i82much said:

I would be thinking more in terms of long-term reliability than getting the truck with the most possible pulling power.

I agree!!

Plus its a damn good looking truck!!!!

How different would the results be if they had used 3500 trucks instead ... bringing the Ram HO Cummins and Aisin into play?

For the record, I think the exhaust brake works just fine on my truck when towing my 5th wheel. I just had to get used to how to set it with brake taps. That said, it would be nice if it was more effective in around-own, unloaded driving. My old 2004.5 Ram 3500 with PacBrake worked great in that regard and saved on brakes.

Edited by Njmurvin

The results from the ford would be the same. They can't spool up so they are in third place already. The dodge would obviously do better with more ponies.
Bottom line the Chevy put the power to the ground . The other two lose too much power in the drivetrain. The Chevy also keeps the revs at max the whole run.
I'm huge into truck pulling and this was a cool test. Not like them nimrods on TFL truck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't really care how well mine pulls a competition sled or how it pulls 30k up the Ike (TFL test).

All I care about is how well it pulls my 12k lb 5th wheel up (and down) the long 6 percent grades that I climb going to the Eastern Sierras. I will be testing that in June. I have made a couple of trips with shorter 6 percent (and more) climbs and it performed beautifully (especially on the way down - once I figured out how to best use the e-brake).

Edited by Njmurvin
11 hours ago, Colossus said:

It will do juuuuuuuuuuuuust fine for those little hills. 

That's exactly what I expect. My 04.5 Dodge Ram 3500 would struggle a bit with that climb. It was bone stock with a 4 speed 48RE and 3.73 gears. My CTS2 monitor alarm for EGTs was set at 1400 degrees and even the stock truck had no problem exceeding that whenever I buried my foot in it on that long climb. So, I would have to back it off from time to time to keep the EGTs in line - for peace of mind. It made for a tense 15-20 minutes on the long Sherwin Grade.

My hope is that I can set the cruise on my new truck to 60-65, sit back and let the extra hp, torque and that 10 speed do their work.