2020 5.3 burning oil already?

On 2/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, SilveradoRST said:

Ford?

Never had that problem on my Fords in the past. However my 03 Tacoma had a serious oil sludge issue. It wasn't a matter of the dipstick finding the oil, it was more I needed a shovel to get the sludge out. Still boggles the mind how Tacomas keep their value.

28 minutes ago, BossTaco2020 said:

Never had that problem on my Fords in the past. However my 03 Tacoma had a serious oil sludge issue. It wasn't a matter of the dipstick finding the oil, it was more I needed a shovel to get the sludge out. Still boggles the mind how Tacomas keep their value.

Yup, not knocking Ford.  Every brand has its issues.  But just a little fun ribbing, Ford did issue new Oil Level Indicators (dip stick) with a wider normal op range for their oil consumption issue on their 5.0 between 2018 - 2020.  Not saying every 5.0 had this problem.  Guys over at the Ford forum were not happy.  There are a few YT vides on this too.  Thought it was fitting for the meme.

Never knew that about the 03 Tacos.

• Haha 1

Wait 10 min after shutting off warm engine to check dipstick. That will be your true running oil level. Once you have that reading you can see where it's at once it's cold to know where it should be then.

Edited by Minnvmax

Crapotas had that issue for a few years across the board.  They fixed that supposedly with larger oil passages in newer engines.  But even a dead Crapota/bad engine and tranny is still worth $2000 it seems. 

• 7 months later...

Have a 2020 Chevy 1500 5.3L with max tow that I use to tow a fairly heavy Airstream (10,000+ lbs).  I consider this trailer right at the top end of the capability of the truck so I'm expecting it to be working pretty hard.  I live full time on the road with my wife who is a travel nurse.  We only move about 3-4 times per year but we make runs back to Texas where we are trailerless but usually run at 75mph straight through.

I have the same issue.  Last time I was getting an oil change, the tech alerted me to the fact that my dip stick was barely showing any oil on the stick.  I'm right at 22,000 miles and admittedly haven't been checking the oil level very faithfully since I've never had to do that before on a brand new engine.  Granted, we DO run pretty high RPM when towing up mountains so I could see some burning during those times.  But towing only accounts for about 3,000 miles of that 22k.

So yeah, I'm going to be checking my dipstick every 1,000 miles or so from now on. If it keeps burning a quart of oil between oil changes, I'm with you:  I'm going back to Ford where I didn't add oil between any oil changes.

6 hours ago, CompuNomad said:

Have a 2020 Chevy 1500 5.3L with max tow that I use to tow a fairly heavy Airstream (10,000+ lbs).  I consider this trailer right at the top end of the capability of the truck so I'm expecting it to be working pretty hard.  I live full time on the road with my wife who is a travel nurse.  We only move about 3-4 times per year but we make runs back to Texas where we are trailerless but usually run at 75mph straight through.

I have the same issue.  Last time I was getting an oil change, the tech alerted me to the fact that my dip stick was barely showing any oil on the stick.  I'm right at 22,000 miles and admittedly haven't been checking the oil level very faithfully since I've never had to do that before on a brand new engine.  Granted, we DO run pretty high RPM when towing up mountains so I could see some burning during those times.  But towing only accounts for about 3,000 miles of that 22k.

So yeah, I'm going to be checking my dipstick every 1,000 miles or so from now on. If it keeps burning a quart of oil between oil changes, I'm with you:  I'm going back to Ford where I didn't add oil between any oil changes.

Hahaha I might do the same, I had to add air to my tires last week so I might go to a Dodge Ram maybe they don't have to add air to there tires.

• Haha 2

IMO

You bought the wrong truck for the weight you tow. 

I consider this trailer right at the top end of the capability of the truck so I'm expecting it to be working pretty hard."

Some motors burn oil. Luck of the draw. 

I wouldn’t take a Furd if you gave me one. Pure junk!  Stepdads ecobust was a joke. Claimed FE never got it and he babied it. Interior is cheap grey plastic. Rattled like crazy, and I thought it drove like $h!t. I get into a newer Furd that buddy owns and I still can’t believe they are number one selling truck. Totally not impressed with it.

Their older 5.4L were spark

plug throwing gutless motors. 

You have to go back to 96 when the offered the 4.9L inline 6 motor or the heavy duty had the international 7.3L.  Those were both great engines.

Anything now is JUNK.  The 5.0L for years have been having oil

consumption  issues. And the Ecobust have been chewing up timing chains like my kids eat skittles. 

if I was to go to any other brand I would have to say either a new Titan, because they still have a nice V8 with updated interior and exterior. Too bad Toyota got rid of there V8. It was strong and durable. Just needed more gears behind it to get better FE. Not a Ram fan. Buddy has one and even though interior is nice. The doors close and sound like a pop can and they are notorious for recalls and reliability. 

On 2/16/2021 at 1:44 PM, BossTaco2020 said:

That is not a Toyota issue that is an OCI issue.

Oil doesn't know what truck it's in. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2021 at 10:40 AM, K455 said:

I totally agree check with the dip stick after a total oil change  check every 500 miles to see if you are consuming it. You are not going to get all the oil out when doing an oil change especially if you do not heat up the oil (running the engine at least for a 1/2 hr). I have a 19 TB custom TB 5.3 with 20,000 miles purchased new broke in hard been doing my own oil changes PP 5/30  AC Delco every 5,000 miles I go from oil change to oil change dip stick level right at full mark every time no oil consumption. Takes exactly 8 qrts to bring it to full mark. I also agree check on level ground I have a slight incline on my driveway it shows a little low on dipstick then I park my truck on a level surface dipstick reads exactly full. My TB custom is very sensitive to checking oil on a level surface keep that in mind.

My 2020 GMC Sierra SLT PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGE just started using oil within the last several months ,some where’s after my 36,000 mile warranty expired my engine light came on and I checked my oil and it was 2 quarts low ! And still had 40% left before my next oil change, then when I brought it in for the oil change it was 2 more quarts low , I had 40,000 miles on it when I did my regular oil change, so the dealership started taking notes only because I was bitching at the oil I was using, so they told me to come back at 1000 miles and I did ! I watched they pull the dipstick in front of me and it was barely marking on the dipstick ! It was quart low in 1000 miles, but they said GM say it’s exceptable, I’ve owned a GM PRODUCT since I was in my 20’s that’s 45 years and I’ve never had a car or truck use that much oil it’s unexceptable SHAME ON GENERAL MOTORS ,I’ve seen a lawsuit against GM for this same reason, but for over $70,000 fit a pickup truck and you can’t get service for a defect I hope the next time they get in a bind where we the people had to save them and bail them out let them go down cause it’s all about money, the pride in the USA is gone 

Hi. What oil are you using?  I have a 2020 5.3 10 speed and have tried 3 different oils so far over 45,000 mi.

M1 EP ,Valvoline Advance and Valvoline EP all 0w20 syn. The m1 made engine tick until the oil had about 3000 mi. on it. The valvoline advanced  burned off. And vavoline ep is quiet and doesn't  use a drop neither did the the m1. Going back to the m1 for a while to see what happens this time around. Engines are like guns. Different engines like different oils and different  guns like different ammo. Good luck.