Load media on USB or hard drive for rear entertainment?

Hello, I have a 2021 Yukon with a built-in rear entertainment system in the head rest. Up until this point we have been plugging a phone or a tablet into the system to play on the screens which kind of defeats the purpose of the entertainment system if you’re turning around a tablet in my opinion. I have read in multiple places that you can load media on a USB or external hard drive (both of these will require a USB to HDMI adapter ) and plug into the system and play that way without the use of a tablet or phone. Has anybody figured out how to do this and if so please share instructions?! 

• 2 weeks later...

We use a chromecast and leave it plugged in all the time. The only issue we have ran into is that you have to use usb-c to power the chromecast. You can't use the AC power outlet because it turns off everytime the vehicle auto start/stop engages.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

On 2/13/2021 at 8:41 AM, Kristina Fennell said:

Hello, I have a 2021 Yukon with a built-in rear entertainment system in the head rest. Up until this point we have been plugging a phone or a tablet into the system to play on the screens which kind of defeats the purpose of the entertainment system if you’re turning around a tablet in my opinion. I have read in multiple places that you can load media on a USB or external hard drive (both of these will require a USB to HDMI adapter ) and plug into the system and play that way without the use of a tablet or phone. Has anybody figured out how to do this and if so please share instructions?! 

I use a normal flash drive (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BPKKTGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with a USB A to USB C cable (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0194WSKOM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)  . 

It needs to be MS DOS FAT formatted, and you can use file types MP4, mp3, AAC, OGG, and 3GP 

• 1 month later...

I setup a 250gb SSD from amazon.

Formatted ms dos FAT. Has about 160gb of music and came with a USB c cable. It’s been a little picky where sometimes it won’t recognize it and you have to remove the cable and plug it back in. It also seems to do the “media indexing” song and dance sometimes, but for the most part it works well. I attached it with a little piece of velcro. I really wish these new trucks still had USB’s in the center console or glove box like the previous ones did.

4c1010a68281e499df206d58f7d58378.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1